Keto + Modified 3 Day Fast = Hypoglycemia?

Hi Everyone,

So I've experimented with various fasting regimens for years, including IF and 2-3 day water fasts.

Recently I've been placing emphasis on staying in nutritional ketosis 80% of the time with a weekly reefed as I exercise fairly regularly and intensely. This week I undertook a 3 day modified fat fast that attempted to (loosely) resemble the fast mimicking diet. This entailed me being in a ketogenic state prior, and every day I would consume: 2 black coffees with 1 TBSP Coconut Milk + 2 TBSPS Brain Octane, and then at dinner I would have a mild soup containing 1-2 cups of spinach, ACV, and 1TBSP of Brain Octane or Coconut Milk.

Yesterday morning I woke up and had a fasting blood glucose reading of 52. A bit low but I went with it. This morning my fasting blood glucose was 32. A bit low... I didn't feel overwhelimingly terrible, maybe a bit more sluggish vs the day prior but definitely not on the verge of anything concerning.

My question to you hackers out there, has anyone experienced something similar on any type of fasting? Is this something to worry about in the context of ketone production? If this is an issue, how could I avoid it in the future? To be clear this also wasn't reactive hypoglycemia as at no point during this whole scenario did I consume carbohydrates.

As context: I'm a 28 year old male, very low body fat, about 170 lbs and a decent amount of muscle on my frame. My normal glucose ranges are about 70-80.

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Hmmm normally your body should be able to keep up you glucose levels as long as you do not exercise intensely while doing your fast... also your adrenals need sufficient amounts of minerals and essential aminos....

In addition to that I have a friend who says she cannot in ketosis because her body is unable to produces glucose on her own so she would die. It is a rare genetic mutation and there isn't even a name for that.