Where is everyone? Old timers? BP forum diluted?

Hey! Where is everybody? I haven't been around as much these days, but whenever I pop in, I see a lot of posters I've never seen, lots of none or one-response threads, and the meaty discussions between old timers are nowhere to be found. Is this an incorrect impression? How is everybody?

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

fake it till you make it

• I've missed you, @Skeletor! :smiley:

• Yes, good thread Daz!

I see I'm not the only one who has wondered this.

For those in the know: Are Dave's products still of the same quality we are used to? Is the manufacturing process the same? I am a bit worried, having seen his products sold at Whole Foods. :cold_sweat:

I imagine there has been a deluge of threads asking basic questions (due to the mainstreaming of BP,) that may have turned off some of the vets.

I miss seeing lots of responses to lots of good threads of varying topics by people who really think. :disappointed:

• Any alternative forums out in world? I tried to get something started at StackExchange a couple of years back but didn't get any traction.
    I think a StackExchange like site where people ask questions and both the questions and answers get recognized would make a great platform for useful information.

• Seriously, it's weird that most threads are left with 0-4 responses and then gather dust and die. :(

• Maybe everyone's over on the Whole30 forum...

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

@BulletproofYogini said:
    Maybe everyone's over on the Whole30 forum...

Hey, that's a nice forum. Never been there before. And it's fairly active. They don't seem to be too into the nuts n' bolts of things, but if you want to talk about paleo food, they look to fit that role well. Thanks for the tip!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

@Skeletor said:
    We're all vegan now.

I won't go that far, but I am drinking moldy coffee.

• But this is where all the people gather who DO get into the nuts and bolts!!! That's the point! Waaa!

• @Skeletor said:

@BulletproofYogini said:
    Maybe everyone's over on the Whole30 forum...

Hey, that's a nice forum. Never been there before. And it's fairly active. They don't seem to be too into the nuts n' bolts of things, but if you want to talk about paleo food, they look to fit that role well. Thanks for the tip!

I wouldn't bother. I responded to the following post saying I don't see anything wrong with only eating 2 meals per day if it works for you and my comment was promptly removed by the moderators without a reason given. My guess is because it didn't fit perfectly with the Whole30 protocol.

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/44411-2-mealsday-wrong-i-know-but-bad/#comment-453122

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

@HealthByDiet said:
    I wouldn't bother. I responded to the following post saying I don't see anything wrong with only eating 2 meals per day if it works for you and my comment was promptly removed by the moderators without a reason given. My guess is because it didn't fit perfectly with the Whole30 protocol.

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/44411-2-mealsday-wrong-i-know-but-bad/#comment-453122

Ugh, that's really dumb. The moderator's response to the OP in that thread is a head-scratcher, too. I've been skimming the threads there on occasion, but haven't bothered to actually sign up. I guess I won't if they're going to just bomb reasonable replies.

Anyone have any other active health/food forums worth looking into?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

The ETP forum is members only unfortunately, but it has mostly died out after the creation of the six ETP Facebook groups (meal planning, training, off topic, group coaching, certification course, and app support group). I think anyone can request to join the training, meal planning, and off topic groups, and I think you get access to all with the two week program free trial we just started offering.

body composition coaching through Eat to Perform

The Mark's Daily Apple forum is swamped with spam to the point of being unreadable. Some of the members there have started their own forum. There aren't too many members yet, and the focus is on eating paleo/primal, but some of you might dig it. If you're looking for a more active place to talk about eating a whole-food-based diet, it may be worth a look:

http://www.primalforums.com/

Actually, the Mark's Daily Apple forum was shut down today. Lol.

Wonder how long before this forum follows suit...

• Man, haven't checked in here since July 2017.

How is everyone? Hope all are well starting 2018.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

This place seems... dead somehow. Pity. I used to come here all the time, now it's once in 3-4 months, and I still can't find that any relevant content piled up during my absence.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Reka, same here. I was on here every day in 2014 & 2015. A little less in 2016. And a lot less in 2017.

• Dale Tobias BruceDale Tobias Bruce Writer
    edited March 25

I was here all the time in 2014-2015..but then work started to literally kill me..had no time for anything..and now here I am..5 years after having massive success with Bulletproof, a weak, over weight unhealthy human still working the same sickening job..coming to this forum was too much for me, didn't want to see how so many people could keep up with everything..Sigh

Fiction is the Truth inside the Lie

76819.jpg

• Sorry to hear that. I, too, have had a couple job changes over the past couple of years. Had another kid as well. Still drink buttered coffee almost every morning, as it has become a staple of my mornings, and try to eat as "healthy" (see: keto) as possible, while still mixing in some sugar every now and then.

Bottom line I have come to mid-way through my 30s is, there is only one life to live, so enjoy it as much as possible. That means to try to eat healthy so I feel better, but also don't stress about everything so much.

Anyways, hope you all are well. I definitely look back over my BP days of 2014-2015 fondly.

• @Reka said:
    This place seems... dead somehow. Pity. I used to come here all the time, now it's once in 3-4 months, and I still can't find that any relevant content piled up during my absence.

Balls! I feel the same way. I don't think it's because of anything else but the change of Bulletproof. It is now a big company, it is primarily a seller of stuff, and somehow (surprise) that creates less of a community. There are a lot of people on the boards who ask questions that have already been answered and delved deeply into, instead of reading older threads and reviving them. So you have a lot of new not-well-thought-out threads with few or no replies.

I miss this place though.

• Agreed! New people asking same questions from years ago. I guess some of that is to be expected.

But yeah, definitely miss the community feel from a few years ago. Loved interacting with you all.

I came around yesterday to see if there was anything new or interesting happening, and for about 15 minutes I couldn't get the forum to load. I thought Dave had finally pulled the plug.

• Hey @Skeletor! Good to see you are still around. Would love to connect with you somehow outside of this forum.

For sure. If any of the old-timers want to connect outside this forum and stay in touch, send me a PM. I'd be happy to add you on Facebook or other social media! The forum may be in a death spiral, but the conversations and camaraderie on this forum shouldn't have to disappear just because of that!

• But I loathe social media! Why should this forum be in a death spiral? Why can't we keep in touch here? Just asking... :)

Social media isn't ideal, that's for sure.

I say the forum is in a death spiral for a number of reasons. First off, and most importantly, Dave hasn't put much effort into maintaining it in years. I don't even think it can be accessed through the main site menu. It's a miracle he hasn't de-activated it like Mark Sisson did with his.

Also, most of us have moved on from a strict Bulletproof lifestyle. I think that Bulletproof taught us all a lot and that the discussions we've had here have been fruitful, but as users have abandoned the BP way of life to explore other options, the discussions have waned. For that matter, some of us, having learned a lot about health and nutrition through discussions here, no longer agree with core tenets of the BP diet and haven't exactly been shy about filling this forum with our new and updated views. This place was kind of an echo chamber in its earliest days; it wasn't until people began questioning and feeling things out in their own way that the productive conversations we all pine for began taking place.

Then there's the fact that Bulletproof coffee is sooooo 2013. It's entered fully into the public consciousness, become a meme. There isn't anything new or intriguing about Bulletproof or its concepts. For that matter, the entire ancestral health community has pretty much peaked at this point. Anyone who hasn't been living under a rock is willing to concede that a paleo or fat-heavy diet is probably a good one. There's nothing to rail against, and the initial evangelization period is over.

I will say that I'm happy the forum is still here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got axed tomorrow, without the least bit of warning. I can't imagine how this forum serves as a positive attribute to Dave's brand, what with all of the contrarian viewpoints posted throughout it. At best, the costs of running it are probably just a tax write-off.

It would be cool to see how people are doing. A few of us have posted in this thread recently, but others haven't been on the forum in months. I'm bound to forget a whole bunch of members, but...
    @Jason Miller @John Brisson @sparefilms @drumminangoleiro @Reka @daz @ACH85 @Modern Life Survivalist @Bull of Heaven @DMan @Jason Hooper @Stevo @sportsbettingman @Tycho's Nose

What have you been up to? How's life? Any thoughts on the state of this ol' forum?

• I only have a FB, but if anyone wants to connect on there, I am easy to find.