Recommended Sleep Hacking Device?

Are there any sleep hacking devices that are more on the affordable side, but also work well? I'm also curious if there is something that can be programmed-- so for example, I have 4 hours to sleep after working a double shift, but I don't want to oversleep... so maybe something like the CES machine, but that can also be geared towards waking up and energizing.
Tagged:

Comments

• Pzizz is pretty good for getting me to go to sleep and is on the cheap side. I've used a Zeo for years (bedside and mobile) and I can certainly vouch that it gives me un-circumstantial measurement of sleep performance when I do implement cheap hacks such as light avoidance, suplimentation regimen, daytime activity level, caffine intake scheduling, emWave2 usage, etc. $100-$150 isn't cheap, but it has certainly delivered more than $200 in peace of mind for me.

Unlike many other sleep tracking devices, the Zeo tells me when my brain wakes up, not just when I remember waking up. Of late, this has become a big problem for me, waking 7-10 times a night, remembering only 1-2 occurances. I generally don't look at my Zeo results on a daily basis. However, after noticing some performance issues, I took a look and saw that when the problems arose, a corelated jump in nighttime wake events was right there with it.

• Pzizz is pretty good for getting me to go to sleep and is on the cheap side. I've used a Zeo for years (bedside and mobile)[...]

Unlike many other sleep tracking devices, the Zeo tells me when my brain wakes up, not just when I remember waking up. Of late, this has become a big problem for me, waking 7-10 times a night, remembering only 1-2 occurances.[...]

What have you found to reduce the frequency of waking? I had a sleep study done 5 years ago and had something like 150 spontaneous arousals, which I understood as being something like waking up (change in sleep stage maybe). My sleep quality is not good enough so I am curious. I know that avoiding stimulants after 11 AM is helpful, although I crave their use. I just implemented this solution so I am curious to see how I feel when the withdrawal wears off.
  • So, it turns out that the actual Zeo unit was not plugged into the soft sensor properly, so the wakeups were likely false positives. Without changing any other variables, the Zeo detected wakening stopped after I fixed the issue.

However, I have obstructive sleep apnea, so I use a CPAP device at night which is very effective. Like you, I have 70-100 arousals per night without it. If you have the neurological form of apnea where your nervous system just up and quits breathing durring sleep, a CPAP won't help. I haven't done as much research about this, but there are some soft tissue massage techniques that might help relieve nerve pressure associated with this disorder. A good massage therapist should be able to give it a go.
  • Try the inclined bed therapy I wrote a thread on.