Sister 750-800 calorie intake, still gaining weight.

Hello to y'all bulletproof women out here,

To my surprise, my sister has been restricting herself to 750-800 calories a day for 3 months straight.
She has also been doing low- to medium-intensity aerobic exercise 3 times a week for 1 month now.
As she is getting married by the end of this year, she's understandably frustrated about the fact that she is actually GAINING weight.

I by no means approve such a ludicrous diet, but that does not take away the fact that she should have lost weight regardless of the long term impact. I've now given her a healthy non-ketogenetic diet and sport-regime that should help her become healthier and lose weight respectively.

I've also told her to get her thyroid tested, on more than just the regular TSH levels.
As the normal laws of physics don't seem to apply to women I am hoping to find someone with similar experience here; perhaps there are other things she should be tested for.

• 34 years old
  • 2 children
  • Not bulletproof

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited March 24

I would also check for cortisol, preferably from saliva, and 4-5 measurements throughout the day. Plus free T4, free T3, anti TPO, you can even add rT3 if you want, but that's not always necessary.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Hi Reka, I forgot to thank you for your reply. My sister has had a full thyroid screening except for graves and reverse T3. The latter was not available xD. She's within ranges, whether it's optimal I will know as soon as she picked up the results.

• Let her eat more, she probably crashed her metabolism through eating so little for an extended period of time.

• @mudita said:
    Let her eat more, she probably crashed her metabolism through eating so little for an extended period of time.

Goodluck explaining that to someone that sees her husband being on a vicious cycle of losing and gaining weight extremely quickly through crashing the crap out of himself. It used to work for her, now it doesn't anymore; she seems stubborn:neutral:.
    But who am I to force her into anything? She trusts me, but her husband can be persistent and convincing in his own way.

• @Corstiaan said:

@mudita said:
    Let her eat more, she probably crashed her metabolism through eating so little for an extended period of time.

Goodluck explaining that to someone that sees her husband being on a vicious cycle of losing and gaining weight extremely quickly through crashing the crap out of himself. It used to work for her, now it doesn't anymore; she seems stubborn:neutral:.
    But who am I to force her into anything? She trusts me, but her husband can be persistent and convincing in his own way.

Maybe try to let her read some articles about it? I don't know either..

• In my opinion, she is not eating enough. she probably has low energy too. I started this keto journey two months ago and have lost 20lbs eating fat!!! I love it. No carbs, no fruit, just fat and protein. I wish her luck in her marriage. I hope she is trying to lose for her health and herself and not her image and for him. Again, my opinion, no disrespect.