Viome

Anyone doing Viome's thing? I'm curious what the experience is like, if they really are ready to start testing the stuff they are claiming...

https://www.viome.com

Comments

• I am also curious about this test. I asked them if they had any examples of the test results and they said no. Hard to sign up at $100 per month when youhave no idea what you will be getting.

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭

There are some screenshots in their app in the iOS app store, but just looks like a questionnaire for when you're first setting things up.

• I went ahead and signed up. I'll post what I get from viome.

• edited April 18

I received the package from Viome. Nice packaging. First pic is of the package.

The biome test (gut intelligence) is pretty standard. Poop, get some, put in vial, mix and mail to Viome.

I feel a little deceived about the blood test (Metabolic Intelligence). I thought it was going to be an actual blood test you send in. But it is just a blood glucose response test. The Challenge Powder is just 40 gms glucose and 6 gms cream of tartar. Attached is the questionnaire for this test. At least they provide a glucose tester and all the equipment necessary.

Will be interesting to see what results they provide.!

• Thanks for sharing that with us 418. I'm interested in knowing what one gets back and the types of recommendations they give. Eat more greens....? Probably don't need a test for that! :)

• I finally received this email from Viome today...

Great news! We've successfully sequenced your Gut Intelligence™ sample and are now interpreting your results. Although we're working around the clock to analyze your data as quickly as possible, our demand has rapidly grown and we're experiencing a minor delay.

We know you're eager to receive your results and recommendations. To say thank you for your patience, we won't charge you for your second month of membership until you've received your results.

Your Viome Insight results and recommendations will be loaded into your app in the next 3 weeks, and we'll contact you as soon as they're available.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Yours in Wellness,
    The Viome Team

3 weeks for a self learning AI system to give recommendations seems like a long time to me - unless with my luck I'm one of the first people it is learning from!

I have been thinking that Viome is stringing this out to get more payments from me - So it is nice though that they are delaying the membership payment.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited May 18

Mr 'potato hack', Tim Steele, briefly discussed Viome (amongst other gut flora testing services) here;
    https://potatohack.com/2017/05/08/gut-testing-services/
    & a bit of the text;
    " Perhaps Jain has invented a better way to test gut flora than the world’s standard, 16S. But if he has, he’s not talking about it and there are no papers describing it, that I can find. And after 2 years of biotech graduate studies, I can tell you that I have not heard of anything better than 16S for analyzing gut bacteria. Or anything else. Period. "

• @daz said:
    Mr 'potato hack', Tim Steele, briefly discussed Viome (amongst other gut flora testing services) here;
    https://potatohack.com/2017/05/08/gut-testing-services/
    & a bit of the text;
    " Perhaps Jain has invented a better way to test gut flora than the world’s standard, 16S. But if he has, he’s not talking about it and there are no papers describing it, that I can find. And after 2 years of biotech graduate studies, I can tell you that I have not heard of anything better than 16S for analyzing gut bacteria. Or anything else. Period. "

Thank you for this article!

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭

I agree - the article is quite interesting.

Isn't Viome supposed to be looking at the fungal and yeast flora in the gut?

If they're going to do everything they promised, I could imagine using 16S and some other analysis on the same samples. But the 3 weeks for the self-learning AI sounds like they're currently building as they go... not a horrible strategy in software (or at least, not uncommon), but quite a challenge in biology/lab testing.

@418Auburnman Thanks for sharing!