I am a Snowflake

Five years ago I started Drinking BulletProof Coffe. I am not talking about just the brand but Coffe with half a stick of Kerry Gold. I felt energized amost from the start, but putting butter in your coffee is somewhat controversial so I had a blood test done at the beginning just in case. The inital blood test looked very much like my last, but then it should because I had not changed any thing. One month later I did the same blood test and suddenly my cholesterol went from 225-240 (the range it had maintained for the last five years) to 350. I consulted with a doctor (not a mainstream doc) and he suggested several things including a battery of tests. Over two years I have hundreds of tests, blood, stool, they all showed that I had dangerously high levels of ApoeB. I tried changing from butter to MCT, increasing my fat intake, eliminating staturated fat, even reducing my total fat. Nothing changed my blood levels. It was as though a switch had been tripped and nothing I could do would affect it. Six month in I got a calciium score of 300, not good but my family has a history of heart disease, so I assumed that it was what I had accumulated by being 62. Eighteen months later I got a second calcium score and I got a 1060. At that point I decided to take action and started taking a statin. It took almost a year to get the dose right. Two weeks ago I had a fullness in my chest and after several hours I went to the hospital and ultimately had two stents put in. For the past three years I have been managing this, but after a family death which involved three days with little sleep it caught up with me. I was (still am) active , I lift weights every day walk and until six months ago either sprinted or rode bicycle. I worked out the morning of my heart attack and felt really good. I had no symptoms until I did. I am feeling better now, still adjusting to life after. If only I had never had bulletproof coffee. Am I really that much of a snowflake.

Comments

• I see that no one is willing to comment, so I will give a brief follow up. I recenly started listening to Chris MasterJohns podcasts. I podcast15 he discussed heart disease and among other things the implications of an impaired pcsk9 pathway. Going low carb if you have this problem can and probably will raise your cholesteral and low CRP is not a guarantee that no harm is being done. I felt so much better on low carb that I ignored the result for two years. I went on statin for the next three years with my cholesterol being well within the normal range, but the damage was already done. I was symptom free until my event. I even had a good heartmath session the day my event so it is not a good forward looking predictor.

ttps://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/06/20/the-daily-lipid-podcast-episode-15-you-asked-me-anything-about-heart-disease-facebook-live-06162016/

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited April 21

Hi. Sorry about this experience. I only have two cents to add, my chol levels have always been high, and going HFLC only made them even higher. I only managed to bring them down by going really low fat (15% of daily kcal) and consuming tons of extra fiber, so by switching to very non-BP macros. For me it was worth it, but I understand if most people here would not want to do this. Starting thyroid hormone also contributed to the drop in my chol.