Telemeres

tchazzardtchazzard The Human Optimization Project
Hello Dave:

I really enjoyed your interview with Bill Andrews. I have been researching the science concerning telomeres and their potential anti-aging benefits. I wondered if you had considered having Ron Teeguarden on your "show". Ron, if you do not know him, is an extremely knowledgeable herbalist and has helped develop some ground breaking extraction processes, such as FITT. He also released his Super Pill 2 earlier this year, which contains a potent combination of herbs aimed at longevity. There is an interview on his site related to the Super Pill 2 which is worth a watch.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

Comments

• tchazzardtchazzard The Human Optimization Project
    I have been taking the Super Pill 2 for about 4 months. Anything like this, TA-65, etc, will take time to have any appreciable changes, many of which will not manifest externally.

As for the face lift, I am of the opinion that you should refrain from any sort of cosmetic surgery.
  • Great suggestion, I'll see if we can get him on the show. My wife said the same thing about cosmetic surgery, sigh. I guess I'll just have to make do with the "electrode look." image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • Following up on the Bill Andrews interview . . . has anyone tried the Isagenex "Product B" mentioned in that podcast?

Link here: http://www.isagenix.com/ww/en/product_b.html

I am NOT trying to push it . . . genuinely interested if anyone here has tried it, what they experienced, etc. It seems that any telomere-lengthening effecgts (or slowing of shortening) would likely have very subtle effects, and would be difficult to evaluate over the short term. As such, it's difficult to judge whether it's worth the $$.

The ingredient list (available on link on the page above) seems like just a whopping variety of herbs, some I'm familiar with (and already taking), some I've never heard of. Is it possible to deliver a therapeutic dose of those herbs in just 1 gm total material?
  • Telomeres are not really well understood yet. If someone takes a product that claims that it lengthens telomeres, or slows down the shortening with age, which by the way is a bit of a stretch to start with, doesn't one run into a serious risk of getting cancer? Immortality is what makes cells cancerous, after all. It's just not that simple. I suggest to check our the wikipedia articles on the Hayflick Limit, and Telomeres.
    I read an article yesterday which mentions a company known as Telome Health. Telome is working on a home test kit allowing the user to measure the length of their telomeres.

http://www.telomehealth.com/

This will help check the effect diet and lifestyle changes have on your longevity.
  • Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013

Telomeres are not really well understood yet. If someone takes a product that claims that it lengthens telomeres, or slows down the shortening with age, which by the way is a bit of a stretch to start with, doesn't one run into a serious risk of getting cancer? Immortality is what makes cells cancerous, after all. It's just not that simple. I suggest to check our the wikipedia articles on the Hayflick Limit, and Telomeres.

Kind of an old thread, but we actually have a fairly clear understanding of telomeres.  DNA polimerase binds nucleotides together kind of like a zipper.  DNA synthesis occurs in the 5' to 3' direction, but is read from the 3' to 5' direction (ribose is a five pointed molecule and we number each point and go clockwise.)  Unfortunately, this process does not start from the first 5' of the template strand and work its way back to the end, rather many sections are synthesized simultaneously causing problems in 5' to 3' segments on the retrograde template strand.  Often the initial 5' codons are left off.  This is where the enzyme telomerase comes in.  Telomerase functions to build redundancy into the initial 5' codons by applying 5'-TTAGGG-3' over and over again.

Now, you can see that the length of the telemeres is not as important as the function of telomerase.  Over time, the TERT gene responsible for encoding this protein gets turned off.  I found an article where molecular scientists are using a gene therapy approach to add the TERT gene back into mice:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22585399

* The hTERT encodes a protein that consists of 1132 amino acids.

* Scientists have reverse engineered this process and found that there are several different mutant promoters involved.

* There are several different restrictors and activators involved that match up with each mutant type promoter.

Why are we using targeted medications to either prevent the methylation of the promoter, or acetylation?  Will these drugs work for you?  How do you know which allele you carry?  Are you a homo-zygote?

Promoter assay plasmids are the way to go.  Simply install the wild type promoter and then we have something to work with.  The C0057684 inducer does such a thing:

http://www.sierrasci.com/research/robert.html

Before you spend a few hundred dollars a month on some gimmicky formula that claims to lengthen your telemeres, you may have more success by manufacturing more telemerase.

• Hey David, great question! I have taken Product B before, for about a year straight. Bill Andrews and John Anderson from Isagenix have been working on this project for quite a long time and this product I believe is in its fourth generation by now. The great thing about how they work is that when they make subsequent improvements to the formulation, after testing they will relaunch the new formula so, as time goes by, it gets stronger and stronger. The quality standards for the raw materials are among the best in the business and the extraction process is, of course, patented. There is much more to Product B than just stuffing herbs into a capsule. The dosage of two capsules twice a day is sufficient for a therapeutic dose, however, you could take more if you wanted to. John Anderson stated in a podcast once that he takes eight to ten capsules a day. Product B can be used in the short term, however, it is meant to be used in the long term for maximum benefit. You are correct that the effects over the short-term would be subtle, but they are noticeable. At the time I began taking Product B, I was working in an enclosed environment that exposed me to diesel exhaust for twelve hours a day, seven days a week. I was getting headaches, nausea, and was becoming increasingly tired and irritable. Also, when I would leave to go to lunch, I was unable to open my eyes outside for more than fifteen minutes after leaving the building, which I later found out is a symptom of breathing too much exhaust. After a few days, I began to notice that my energy levels had increased and my sleep quality had improved as well. After about a week, I noticed that my mood had improved and I was feeling less stressed while working. I also was able to walk outside for lunch and only had to squint for a few minutes before I could see fine again. Over the next month, my headaches began to decrease in frequency and the severity of my nausea subsided. Product B got me through a very rough time for my mind and body and I don't think I would have been able to work as much as I did under those conditions without it. That being said, Product B is definitely something that should be added to your Bulletproof arsenal and I would love to hear how it works for you. If you would like to hear more about it, I will provide a link below to an Isagenix podcast talking all about Product B.

The Power of Product B: http://isagenixpodcast.com/category/product-education/page/8/

• Product B reminds me of one of those over-hyped bodybuilding supplements.  You could be taking pure silicon dioxide and not even know it.  Companies with integrity list their ingredients so that their customers can make informed decisions.