Heavy Cream vs Grass Fed Butter

Can anyone help me understand the difference between using heavy cream in my coffee, if there is any. I know I personaly prefer butter, but my family seems to think heavy cream would be just as good and I couldnt really expain any differences to them.

Comments

• OK, its starting to look like its the insulin responce that cream creates that butter may not and that can boot you out of ketosis. But is that the main difference between butter and cream?

• My dad also prefers to put heavy cream in his coffee, so I can relate to your situation, Mink.

Cream still has a lot of the carbohydrate from milk, which I assume means it also still has lactose. It seems to me like an insulin response is more likely, as you said, and you also have an increased chance of a reaction to the lactose specifically.

Bulletproof Coach-in-Training
    Check out my Yurt Life on Facebook

• I've been wondering about this for a while. When I buy heavy cream it doesn't have any carbs.... so I don't think theres any insulin response.

• googlealchemistgooglealchemist Alchemist

I get confused by labels on heavy cream. Som?e just say 'cream' (sometimes with various polysorbate whatever and/or carrageenan) while others say 'cream, milk'. But neither ever shows any carbs/sugar or protein.

Unless there is such a tiny amount its not legally required to show either on the label? And it's still enough to stimulate a slin response?

I love butter and c oil in mine, but my God I also loooooooooooooove heavy cream

• Butter only
    If you’re making Bulletproof Coffee

• @Mink said:
    OK, its starting to look like its the insulin responce that cream creates that butter may not and that can boot you out of ketosis. But is that the main difference between butter and cream?

Well all dairy save butter has sugars in it... carbs, and protien, which will jumpstart the insulin process. Even if it is just a little. This diet IS NOT Atkins. Atkins got people doing all kinds of over eating and restricting to the point you cant get satisfied. And worse, they dont tell you how protien gets converted into carbs when you eat foo much! Not to mention the chemicals in thier nasty snacks... ugh. Dont get me started.

Your family's intentions are cute, but they dont know shit about this diet.

If you want to enjoy a good drink with cream, at about 3pm each afternoon, I order a tiny macchiato with two shots and heavy cream. I emphasize TINY! THEY WILL PUT A CUP OF CREAM IN ANY LARGE YOU ORDER putting you at like 8g of carbs and 1200 calories. Not worth it. Tell them you only want about two tbs of heavy creamy in the mach.

Sit in the restaurant if you can and enjoy each and every sip. We are used to getting huge amounts of everything. But with this diet, we must learn to appreciate the delicacies we are allotted.

Love,
    Laurel

• Metal organics are compounds containing metals and organic ligands, which would give them solubility in organic solvents or volatiles. 

• Thanks for the suggestions.

• Thanks for the suggestions.

• I use butter, raw cream and an egg yolk in my coffee. All good fats and my hunger is suppressed well into the afternoon. If I have even a tiny bit of carbs that isn’t the case.