Trouble staying energized for Ironman, fat fueled athlete

I'm in the process of training for my 3rd 70.3 Triathlon and the first year I've trained as a fat fueled athlete. Now that I'm up at 7 mile runs and 25mile bike rides, I'm having trouble with training 2 days after one of those long training sessions. I feel like I have the energy but the muscles are exhausted. I can't recall this happening mid-training season when I relied on carbs. Does glycogen not form as readily when trying to adhere to the BP diet? Should I be eating white rice more than twice a week?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

You definitely need carbs to successfully perform athletically, fat does not store as glycogen. On training days you should have 200-400g of carb depending on if you are male or female, and your size.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • That would explain a few things. Assuming I was in that rhythm of eating 300g of BP rice on those days, is it more advantageous to load up hours in advance (or night before) of a big training session or use it to refill the glycogen stores afterwards?

Thanks!

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

Both (preworkout and postworkout), long sessions you may want to throw in some intra as well.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Much appreciated!