Female Athletes Triad

What advice do you have for female crossfitters who have lost their menstraul cycle? How to get it back without excessive weight gain? Then once you have it back, how to lean out safely?

Comments

• I would recommend eating more fat and more cholesterol. Plus, eating a high-fat diet will actually prevent body fat storage, as long as you keep carb intake under 30g per day. Then cycle carbs back in once a week to prevent leptin resistance.

Also, realize that crossfit-style training is genuinely bad for your thyroid...
  • So back in January I significantly increased my fat consumption and got my cycle to start again after 2 years without. But now that my body started producing its own estrogen again...I have gained about 10lbs. Before i was lean and abs were visible...not so much anymore. Feels like going through puberty all over again. Mood swings, breakouts...everything. How do you lean back out without losing the cycle? Calorie restriction? High protein? Moderate protein? No fruit? Ketogenic except on weekends?

Been following paleo for almost 2 years now. Been playing with bulletproof IF during the week and normal eating schedule on weekends. Stopped doing met cons for now and just doing Wendler 5-3-1. So frustrated with this. How can you eat paleo and lose your abs at the same time?! Any more advice is greatly appreciated
  • 'Meg' wrote:

So back in January I significantly increased my fat consumption and got my cycle to start again after 2 years without. But now that my body started producing its own estrogen again...I have gained about 10lbs. Before i was lean and abs were visible...not so much anymore. Feels like going through puberty all over again. Mood swings, breakouts...everything. How do you lean back out without losing the cycle? Calorie restriction? High protein? Moderate protein? No fruit? Ketogenic except on weekends?

Been following paleo for almost 2 years now. Been playing with bulletproof IF during the week and normal eating schedule on weekends. Stopped doing met cons for now and just doing Wendler 5-3-1. So frustrated with this. How can you eat paleo and lose your abs at the same time?! Any more advice is greatly appreciated

Women aren't "meant" to be that lean. That's the honest truth. There's a reason it's easy for women to gain fat and very hard for women to strip it off. And there's a reason why the menstrual cycle ceases at very low levels of body fat. I suspect you understand that already.

So if you want to be that lean but stay in good health, you'll have to act with greater understanding of how food affects the hormonal processes that make the reproductive cycle possible and allow fat storage.

The main gotcha that the female fat cell participates in regulating the female reproductive hormones. So in a very real sense, "turning off" fat cells results in disregulation.

So you have to "trick" the fat cells into continuing to participate in the process, while never allowing them to store fat. You need a framework of eating to accomplish that. Just eating paleo isn't a framework...

I work with Caroline Gick and Alex Navarro. They get on stage twice a year as figure competitors, stay extremely lean throughout the year (I just drove to the chiro with Alex last week), and have working reproductive systems. Both of them eat high-fat diets the vast majority of the time, with high-carb days once a week, and certain intake timed to their workouts which are either heavy resistance training or high-intensity intervals (no longer than 30 minutes but usually 20 minutes).

It sounds like a lot of nitty gritty to manage, and that's because it is. Because what you want is not really "natural" -- it has to be carefully concocted.
  • Can you give more detail of that framework?
  • 'Meg' wrote:

Can you give more detail of that framework?

Yep. The diet for cutting the fat without harming reproductive health is called Carb Nite.

The diet for women to be able to maintain low-ish bodyfat (say 12 to 15%) is Carb Back-Loading. Although some women have to stay on Carb Nite (e.g. Alex Navarro).

And if you want to maintain SUPER low bodyfat (sub 10%), you're going to be on a modified/controlled version of Carb Nite.

You can read some articles by both women over on BeautifullyHardcore.com (which has been languishing a bit since January... my fault as I'm the editor...)
  • 'Naomi wrote:

Yep. The diet for cutting the fat without harming reproductive health is called [url="http://carbnite.com"]Carb Nite[/url].

The diet for women to be able to maintain low-ish bodyfat (say 12 to 15%) is [url="http://carbbackloading.com"]Carb Back-Loading[/url]. Although some women have to stay on Carb Nite (e.g. Alex Navarro).

And if you want to maintain SUPER low bodyfat (sub 10%), you're going to be on a modified/controlled version of Carb Nite.

You can read some articles by both women over on [url="http://beautifullyhardcore.com"]BeautifullyHardcore.com[/url] (which has been languishing a bit since January... my fault as I'm the editor...)

Ok I get the carb back loading...just put all your carbs in your evening post workout meal. But there has got to be more to it...calorie restriction? Macro ratios? What am I missing here?