Orange Theory and the Bullet

I do Orange 4 to 5 times a week. Concerned I'm burning my muscle doing the 6 day/ 1 day carb reload.
I burn 700 to 900 calories in a session. Yesterday, my sweated smelled of ammonia. I do add the collagen protein to my coffee.
Thoughts

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

You need carbs, plain and simple, shoot for between 1-2g/lb or higher on training days, lower your fat to manage total calories.

body composition coaching through Eat to Perform
  • My plan is to do a meal replacement shake right after workings out. About 25g carb and 22g protein. Give my muscles replenishment

• If you weigh between 12.5 and 25lbs, then that is the correct amount for the range suggested. Otherwise, you just have to decide what is more important to you: low carb, or performance?

• i weigh 24 pounds so I'm good. i was referring to a post workout refeed. I have other carbs throughout the day. My concern is I won't be in ketosis.

• Do you have a Precision Xtra ketone monitoring kit? I think you'll be surprised at how well you can generate ketones if you are burning 700 - 900 kcals in a single session.

• I would suggest consuming some good clean carbs, white rice, sweet potato, cooked squash, etc before the workout. You will burn through all the glucose in the workout, and leave you with some substrate to build muscle.

Professional Certified Coach
    Pacific Pulse Centers

• @Jason Hooper said:
    Do you have a Precision Xtra ketone monitoring kit? I think you'll be surprised at how well you can generate ketones if you are burning 700 - 900 kcals in a single session.

Oddly, I tend to notice the opposite. I'll go into the gym at 0.6 - 1.5mmol/L of BHB then if I check after exercise I'm at 0.1 or 0.2mmol/L. From what I understand, the ketones are getting eaten up by muscles while the liver is churning out whatever glucose it can round up.

• You have just demonstrated the need for carbohydrates in athletic performance. The liver cannot produce ketones fast enough for anaerobic activity. Measure again the next morning, and you should be back in ketosis.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

Yes, in every single human regardless of diet, as work/intensity increases so does the switch to carbohydrate metabolism, predictably, reliably, and consistently. Also known as the crossover effect.

body composition coaching through Eat to Perform