Help. Living in HIGH car traffic area + old house

edited June 15 in Detoxing

What is the best line of defense for living smack in the middle of one of the highest trafficked areas of San Diego?

How do I protect my mitochondria from the following and try to prevent lung cancer:

We live on the beach but back a couple blocks where everyone parks their cars and next to the freeway. ( the dust I clean up is black dust). My bedroom window ( that always needs air flow) is on a hill where people back up their cars and the exhaust goes right into my window. The front room window faces the ocean a bit more.

What would you all suggest? If I close the bedroom window at night, it's much too hot ( no AC).

I use fans to bring in outside air because our apartment was built in the1970's and I can smell the musty odor of old insulation when I come back from closing all the windows. ( Its only 300 Sqre feet)!!

So it's a catch 22. Have the fans blow in carbon monoxide and maybe its mixed with the ocean air OR I close up and breathe in whatever the toxic crap is that's coming from the OLD insulation and blow in cool air from a portable AC.
Just the thought of not being able to move is stressful and that's not good either so I'm open to brainstorming.

( Maybe leave during the day and spend my time in a remote coffee shop where there is slightly better air??)

San Diego is #7 for most toxic air.

We have one portable AC unit but now has mold in it. nothing worse than not being able to afford new appliances to keep us healthy!
I can't move for another year...due to some other variables.

Thanks in advance.