Skin hacking -- best moisturizers / serums?

I live on the west coast and get plenty of sun exposure, which seems to be an accelerant for skin-aging.

Are there any particularly good brands or formulations of topical moisturizers / serums to keep collagen & hydration and the overall effects of dry sun exposure in better shape?

I've tried coconut oil a few times, but my skin tends to break out (where I otherwise have virtually zero problems / acne.)

Tagged:

Comments

• Alitura. Hands down the best.
    alituranaturals.com

• cortextcortext ✭✭

@raschroeder said:
    Alitura. Hands down the best.
    alituranaturals.com

Wow, expensive stuff. For 100 mL of moisturizer, a small bottle of lotion, and a little bit of shaving cream, I'm looking at $200+.

• The products are really unique, the ingredients are incredible, but yes the ingredients are expensive making the product a little more expensive than other brands. I believe this is the only skincare brand Dave uses

• The ingredients are pure, organic, and nourishing to the skin. Ingredients from the earth and there are no fillers in the products. I've used them all for awhile and they have given me the best results, so in that case I am not afraid to pay a bit more for Alitura than another brand. It's a small company which I do also like. Just my opinion though, the best that I have ever used.

• cortextcortext ✭✭

I picked up their lotion / moisturizer. At two days in, I gotta admit this is very nice stuff. I'm unexpectedly a shade "bronzier."

• During the last Bulletproof conference, Dave mentioned that you could take the plasma? from human blood and spread on your face to help as a moisturizer and anti-aging. Does anyone have the name of this component from human blood?

• @mramazing2012 said:
    During the last Bulletproof conference, Dave mentioned that you could take the plasma? from human blood and spread on your face to help as a moisturizer and anti-aging. Does anyone have the name of this component from human blood?

wtf?

• CorstiaanCorstiaan
    edited July 27

@raschroeder said:
    The products are really unique, the ingredients are incredible, but yes the ingredients are expensive making the product a little more expensive than other brands. I believe this is the only skincare brand Dave uses

@cortext , at least get their mask, it's epic.

• cortextcortext ✭✭

@Corstiaan said:

@raschroeder said:
    The products are really unique, the ingredients are incredible, but yes the ingredients are expensive making the product a little more expensive than other brands. I believe this is the only skincare brand Dave uses

@cortext , at least get their mask, it's epic.

Man, I don't know if I'm ready to make the leap to masks and cucumbers. Next thing I know, my morning routine looks like this:

• cowsnakecowsnake
    edited August 6

gardenofwisdom.com I think is nice, they have BHA, AHA, hyaluronic acid products in different concentrations, they use organic ingredients, etc etc. they also have raw ingredients if you like formulating your own stuff. AHA is good specifically for photoaged skin. it also sensitizes skin to sun exposure so you have to be aware while using.

I've also personally tried using lotion with ACV included as an ingredient and it's supposed to for photoaged, dry skin. it's also good for retaining the acid mantle and blah blah probably a whole bunch of other things.....yes, it smells a lil vinegary but the scent doesn't linger, lol.

• edited August 26

Refined coconut oil is the best natural moisturizer. No coconut smell makes the refined version my go to for skincare. I like Spectrum brand. Not to mention the cost is under $10. Skin feels super soft and moist.

• According to a two skin formulating chemists I spoke to about coconut oil...both said that coconut oil by itself is drying to the skin and needs to be mixed with other things. I found that odd given it is an oil however I am not a chemist. I rotate depending on the weather; macademia nut oil, ghee, aloe, Braine Octaine, etc., ...one thing I always use as a base is 100% hyraulonic (sp) acid for its amazing moisture holding properites.
    Sunshine: We have different sense of smells. Spectrum products smell like solvent and petroleum to me, yuck.

• The Ordinary. Extraordinarily inexpensive yet incredible quality. My skin has never looked better and I have some pretty awful skin. You can find their brand as well as some more expensive brands on Deciem.com

• Nerium. No I don't sell it. But I've been using it for three years, and all my clients are plastic surgeons and they think I have amazing skin. Not cheap at $80 a bottle but it will easily last you six weeks.