How much caffeine in a tablespoon of Bulletproof Coffee?

I have recently read some research on how taking caffeine in dosages at about 500mg before training a couple of times a week (as to not get used to it) have produced a little bump in strength and performance. I bought some caffeine pills and tried it and it did give me a little boost, at least energetically.

Now, I know there are a lot of health benefits that you don't get by eating just caffeine pills so I would like to actually take proper coffee instead. But I don't know how much caffeine is actually in the coffee. Do anyone know how much caffeine there is in 1 tablespoon of grinded Bulletproof Coffee? So I know aproximately how many tablespoons of coffee I need to brew to get about 500mg caffeine.

Comments

• @hejohoo said:
    I have recently read some research on how taking caffeine in dosages at about 500mg before training

400-600 did not work? Because everyone reacts to-, and metabolizes caffeine at the same rate...right.

To answer your question anyway, I have no idea, contact Bulletproof.

• Or is this to stay under acceptable levels during sports tournaments? That case, see if you can get a 3rd party to test you a couple of times beforehand I suppose.

• hejohoohejohoo
    edited July 2017

@Corstiaan said:

@hejohoo said:
    I have recently read some research on how taking caffeine in dosages at about 500mg before training

400-600 did not work? Because everyone reacts to-, and metabolizes caffeine at the same rate...right.

To answer your question anyway, I have no idea, contact Bulletproof.

500 is just in the middle of 400-600? :) I think optimal dosage depends on weight.

"Caffeine dosages should be tailored to individuals. If you are new to caffeine supplements, start with a 100mg dose. Typically, 200mg of caffeine is used for fat-burning supplementation, while acute strength increases occur at higher doses, 500mg and above. Researchers tend to use a dosage range of 4-6mg/kg bodyweight.

Caffeine can be supplemented through popular beverages, like coffee, tea and energy drinks, but it can also be taken in a pill form.

Many of caffeine’s effects, including fat burning, strength benefits, and euphoria, are subject to tolerance, and may not occur in people used to caffeine, no matter how large the dose is."

https://examine.com/supplements/caffeine/

I think one should be careful at going over 600mg though. Not sure what the safe limits are?

• If I recall correctly, most coffee is like 10-12mg of caffeine per ounce and the typical way to brew is 1-2tbsp of ground coffee per 6oz. Most directions say 1 tbsp, so I'd figure the average amount of caffeine per oz is based off the average directions you see. But perhaps most readily available coffees at coffee shops and convenience stores are typically brewed at 2tbsp per 6oz...like...it's really hard to say unless the bulletproof brand actually says how much caffeine it has on its packaging. Too many variables to just guess.

I remember looking into caffeine levels too because upon using Deathwish Coffee, I really wanted to know how much caffeine I'd be taking in. Deathwish is like 59mg caffeine per ounce, haha. But...now in hindsight, it's best to stick to caffeine in the morning before you actually eat any meals. If I have coffee after morning hours, it's always organic water processed decaf. Caffeine hinders nutrient absorption...

• hejohoohejohoo
    edited August 2017

I asked Bulletproof support and they said : "There would be roughly 30-40mg per tablespoon."

So if I wanted to get 500mg of caffeine that would be about 14 tablespoons! Perhaps it would be better to do like 3 tablespoons of bulletproof coffee and mix it down with 2 caffeine pills (400mg caffeine) That would be about 500mg total of caffeine if I count correctly.

That way I would both get the benefits of coffee and the caffeine amount to help with my workout (I plan to do this about twice a week before training)