Pounding heart, hard to breathe since on diet

Hello, about 3 months ago i really started transitioning into the BP diet, im 29 yr old female pretty good health but not as active as i want to be, i suffered chronic fatigue symptoms for years, on and off depression, been treated for anxiety by my doctors and had many stressful events at too young of an age, anyhow im really trying to do this diet right although im not perfect, my physical activity slowed b4 i started this because of the chronic fatigue, since i started the diet i definitely have more energy and im finally awake for once, although on and off i have a feeling that i cant get a full breath its really uncomfortable and anxiety inducing, comes and goes, this happened once before 1 1/2 yrs ago and doctors ran tests found nothing wrong with me even though my heart beat against my chest extremely hard, went to cardiologists checked electrolytes etc nothing, today i had my usual delicous vanilla no coffee bp drink, i do have the coffee as well but i favor this one more, last night salmon n veggies today i had to cook my eggs in butter on real low n slow, some veggies n lil bit of gf meat, after i ate i felt like a panic attack came, the hard to breathe as usual along with my heart racing pounding, i thought i would pass out and tingling in fingers n toes, i was at work so had to hold it together but ive been weak and i came home still tough to get a good breath, tried some jumping jacks just to see if i would actually have a heart attack or pass out the symptoms increased drastically and the tingling came back strong, what the hell is going on? I really want to do this diet and BP is saving me from a life of depression, i dont want to give up on this diet, i cant help but wonder if my body cannot handle the high fat like others can? I need to get my electrolytes checked etc i tried drinking some grapefruit juice for potassium tonight, i have my brain octane oil in am with drink, i started taking magnesium 3 pills total 750mg, zinc i only have 50mg tablets i only take 1, calcium n vitamin d, coconut charcoal occasionally, i took the magnesium n zinc with the meal never had an issue b4 unless i could be taking too much, had bowl of cream of wheat not usual at all

Comments

• Sorry for long comment just trying not to leave anything that might be important out

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

Are you doing too many things at once? Maybe you need more carbs...

• My husband is having similar symptoms- we started this around April.... We have definitely put on quite a bit of weight... We added carbs back into our diets in the form of rice and sweet potatoes... I think it was too much with the addition of the butter. We both read the book and have seen others have success- but I am holding onto quite a bit of fat- cellulite in places I have never seen it. Depressing....

• My husband just asked me to take him to the ER. He was reporting chest pains, shortness of breath, left arm tingling, left side of face numb. And we are both 34 years old and exercised every day (prior to bulletproof)...

I get that we changed a lot at one time- we both read the book and tried to follow it to a science. We have started to work out in shorter sessions 4x a week.... He wants to quit the diet altogether- I feel like its helping me mentally- But I need to go back to a strict paleo diet until I can regain some control here... The protein fasting days have helped for me...

• Ive been wondering if i do need more carbs ive heard women dont always do well as men do, it seemed like the fruit juice orange or grapefruit seemed to calm my heart down but the tight breathing comes and goes

• Shannon how is your husband doing? And yes i kno what u mean this last time i did almost go into the ER but it seemed like the juice im guessing it was the potassium helped and i brought more carbs in and it seems like its starting to calm down, this past week i was tbh worried and feeling guilty about the fats but im wondering if maybe it does take time and possibly i will modify the diet according to my own body, been 3 months and i noticed i did slim down but the stubborn areas might take some time i feel, i went years eating an entirely different way as well lifestyle so maybe i did do too much at once? I definitely dont want to give up

• edited August 26

I'm on day 4 (41 year old female) and having shortness of breath, dry mouth, tingling in legs and arms, fatigue, headache, overall awful. I only took half a teaspoon of brain octane oil in my coffee this morning and still feel the side effects. Is it the oil? I will try coconut oil instead tomorrow and update you.

• mmctecmmctec
    edited September 1

Haven't started this program yet because I'm still reviewing materials. However, I am hesitant because of all of the comments re heart palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath. Note to all: 1. Dry mouth - drink more water. 2. Excessive loss of water which happens on protein diets could affect potassium level. 3. Fat does not give you chest pain or palpitations, but coffee can. When I make freshly ground coffee at home, it's 1 T. coffee with 10 oz. water. Look at the Bulletproof Coffee recipe - 2.5 heaping T. coffee with 8-12 oz. water - and you wonder why you have heart palpitations? It's like mainlining caffeine, which can cause a host of problems and a change in your heart's electrical rhythm. I suggest you check with your doctor about following this program because your health complaints would make me very cautious. I probably will not use the MCT oil because I am allergic to all coconut products. While I have this program on hold for me, I wish everyone success and hope you get the results you desire. Just be sure to get your doctors involved before you go too far with this program.

• @sunshine75 said:
    I'm on day 4 (41 year old female) and having shortness of breath, dry mouth, tingling in legs and arms, fatigue, headache, overall awful. I only took half a teaspoon of brain octane oil in my coffee this morning and still feel the side effects. Is it the oil? I will try coconut oil instead tomorrow and update you.

Yes please update me, ive had the tingling definitely and shortness of breath on occasion usually following a day after large amount of fat intake, your on day 4 so i think maybe your body needs some time since its so early

• @mmctec said:
    Haven't started this program yet because I'm still reviewing materials. However, I am hesitant because of all of the comments re heart palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath. Note to all: 1. Dry mouth - drink more water. 2. Excessive loss of water which happens on protein diets could affect potassium level. 3. Fat does not give you chest pain or palpitations, but coffee can. When I make freshly ground coffee at home, it's 1 T. coffee with 10 oz. water. Look at the Bulletproof Coffee recipe - 2.5 heaping T. coffee with 8-12 oz. water - and you wonder why you have heart palpitations? It's like mainlining caffeine, which can cause a host of problems and a change in your heart's electrical rhythm. I suggest you check with your doctor about following this program because your health complaints would make me very cautious. I probably will not use the MCT oil because I am allergic to all coconut products. While I have this program on hold for me, I wish everyone success and hope you get the results you desire. Just be sure to get your doctors involved before you go too far with this program.

I understand how you feel because thats how i feel, it seems like lessening the butter mostly seems to help and i have alot of guilt on this diet because of what the American healthcare system has taught me, its been 1 month since this post and the trouble breathing stopped along with palpitations after when i added more carbs and a glass of orange juice a day, and I drink more often the non coffee vanilla shake option but last night my dinner included alot of butter and other healthy fats and today the problems came back, although i have anxiety it could be that not sure, i will have another talk with my doctor but ive had blood tests thyroid electrolytes checked before when this was at its worst, ive seen a cardiologist had ultrasound and wore heart monitor during the palpitations and my doctor says they picked up on no palpitations although i felt them had them small ones and im told im completely heart healthy etc so i dont know what it is still, since i started this diet my chronic fatigue has improved dramatically, im thinking i cant handle heavy fats , you said coffee but not butter causes palpitations etc but then u ask -and u wonder why ur having palpitations- (after mentioning the heavy butter in morning coffee) so which is it that you mean? I cant find anywhere that a high fat diet causes these symptoms

• These symptoms started for me before i started the program but seemed to have increased and it comes and goes occasionally

• @mmctec said:

The reason i gave this diet a try is because after 4 years of researching and researching trying new foods ive found Dave Asprey has hit on alot of the things ive found and believe to be true, me and my family and millions of others have been following the standard American recommended diet and EVERYBODY is getting sick and dying, everybody is becoming diabetic and getting heart disease and high blood pressure while following doctors orders, i dont know what to believe anymore really im lost but 5 years ago i felt like i was dying and my skin even broke out into a fungal infection and Doctors thought i had aids (got tested im fine) what reversed that crap was diet and Doctors prescribed me steroid cream which kicked butt on that issue but only diet completely stopped it and the one i adopted is nearly identical to Aspreys but i definitely think i will not overdo it with butter and fats but they do have my mind more clear and thats a godsend living with chronic fatigue and or depression too bad i cant figure out this and yes i care about myself i dont wanna be screwed cuz of this butter, one thing im wondering is im not exercising and my workouts have been scarce ive been working alot and under alot of stress, i couldnt help but think maybe my body is not absorbing the fats due to lack of burning it through exercise?

• I had similar early life, suffered from anxiety, never learned to read/write until 16, abuse etc. When I tried this diet many years ago people thought I was crazy however now they're doing it and I think they're crazy lol. Some people might thrive on it with no issue but I found it amplified my health problems.