OMG - Sugar Free Bete Noire

kathykmtkathykmt
edited August 27 in Bulletproof Recipes

This afternoon I adapted what I consider to be the best chocolate dessert I have ever had, to a BP-friendly (I hope) mode. I usually make it with honey. Today I made just one-quarter recipe as a test (using one egg) and it turned out to perfection. So I'll post it here. It's a little complicated but well worth the effort if you have a chocolate tooth!

Bête Noire (French for "black beast") with xylitol

It sounds a bit complex to make but it's really quite simple with a food processor. You just have to get the right pans ahead of time and let all the ingredients get to room temperature before making it. Takes me about 10 minutes to mix and 15-20 to bake. (Shorter if you put it individual ramekins, longer if you cook it in one pan.) Then it has to chill a bit in order to cut it (unless you eat it right out of the ramekin then and there!), but it's best served at room temperature.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

12 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1-2/3 cups water
1/3 cup Xylosweet (crystals)
1 cup ghee or butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
5 extra-large eggs at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the center of the oven.

Crack the eggs into a measuring cup or bowl with a spout and set aside. Cut the ghee or butter into pieces while still cool, then allow to warm to room temperature.

Spread some extra ghee or oil in a 10" porcelain torte pan. (Or, if you want, use 12-16 individual ramekins, in which case you don't need to butter them.) Locate a larger pan to use as a water bath. (A water bath means to put one pan (or your ramekins) in a larger pan with hot water to cover the bottom and part of the sides.)

Place chocolate in the bowl of the food processor and process until the chocolate is in tiny pieces. Place the water into a small saucepan and bring it to a rolling boil, then dissolve the Xylitol in it. With the processor on, add the boiling syrup to the chocolate, then add the ghee or butter (which must be at room temperature) piece by piece. Finally, pour in the eggs (which must be at room temperature), one at a time. Process only until the mixture is very smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan or ramekins and bake in the water bath for 20-25 minutes.

Let cool in pan on rack and serve. I prefer to undercook it (20 minutes for my pan and my oven or 15 for the ramekins) and refrigerate it before cutting, then warm it just to room temperature before serving, which makes it feel and taste like truffles!

This can be made ahead and frozen, either whole or in separate serving-sized pieces. Just let it warm to room temperature before serving, and it's great.

Tagged:

Comments

• Oh dear, I just realized I got the amount of xylitol wrong on the above recipe. I can't figure out how to edit or delete it now, so I'll just repost it with the proper number here, so it's easy to copy if anyone wants to print it out.

Bête Noire (French for "black beast") with xylitol

It sounds a bit complex to make but it's really quite simple with a food processor. You just have to get the right pans ahead of time and let all the ingredients get to room temperature before making it. Takes me about 10 minutes to mix and 15-20 to bake. (Shorter if you put it individual ramekins, longer if you cook it in one pan.) Then it has to chill a bit in order to cut it (unless you eat it right out of the ramekin then and there!), but it's best served at room temperature.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

12 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    1-2/3 cups water
    1-1/3 cup Xylosweet (crystals)
    1 cup ghee or butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
    5 extra-large eggs at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the center of the oven.

Crack the eggs into a measuring cup or bowl with a spout and set aside. Cut the ghee or butter into pieces while still cool, then allow to warm to room temperature.

Spread some extra ghee or oil in a 10" porcelain torte pan. (Or, if you want, use 12-16 individual ramekins, in which case you don't need to butter them.) Locate a larger pan to use as a water bath. (A water bath means to put one pan (or your ramekins) in a larger pan with hot water to cover the bottom and part of the sides.)

Place chocolate in the bowl of the food processor and process until the chocolate is in tiny pieces. Place the water into a small saucepan and bring it to a rolling boil, then dissolve the Xylitol in it. With the processor on, add the boiling syrup to the chocolate, then add the ghee or butter (which must be at room temperature) piece by piece. Finally, pour in the eggs (which must be at room temperature), one at a time. Process only until the mixture is very smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan or ramekins and bake in the water bath for 20-25 minutes.

Let cool in pan on rack and serve. I prefer to undercook it (20 minutes for my pan and my oven or 15 for the ramekins) and refrigerate it before cutting, then warm it just to room temperature before serving, which makes it feel and taste like truffles!

This can be made ahead and frozen, either whole or in separate serving-sized pieces. Just let it warm to room temperature before serving, and it's great.