Blue Light Blocking Glasses

Comments

• I cant find uvex skyper glasses in UK .

I dont speak german at all , but i use google translation because i cant find any documentation about this glasses in english.

I wonder if it´s uvex the same company for skyper model and for ultra spec1, because skyper model is a security glasses, and Ultra Spec 1 is a sport glasses with blue light filter. Im very confused...

• Does anybody know the specific brand that Dave uses for his tinted glasses? They are a little more normal looking than the safety glasses that are mentioned in this thread.

• edited June 2013

I just got these and they seem to work well. Got them so I at least look like I'm trying to be stylish as opposed to... a weirdo on the train at night. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00741II8E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Talked about them here:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/3701-daves-orange-glasses/

Look like Oakley type frames with custom lenses.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure they won't be standard lenses.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I'm totally guessing on the Oakley frames, they just look like the wire styles they do.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• You are correct, Katolotus.  They are Oakley frames, but they have been discontinued.  The lenses are made by Irlen.  Dave said that Bulletproof glasses are currently in the works so that he can share that technology with everyone.

• Irlen Spectral Filters or Irlen Lenses, are coloured overlay filters or person specific tinted lenses worn as glasses or contact lenses that are intended to help people with the supposed perceptual processing difficulty known as Irlen Syndrome, formerly known as Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome. For individuals who suffer from Irlen Syndrome, the brain is sensitive to specific wavelengths of light, resulting in difficulties with print clarity and stability and discomfort when performing visually intensive activities such as reading.[citation needed] Irlen Syndrome affects approximately 50 percent of individuals with reading difficulties and dyslexia, 33 percent of those with attention difficulties such as ADHD,which includes special people such as Danny Harrison, 33 percent with autism, up to 50 percent of those who have suffered a traumatic brain injury, whiplash or concussion, and approximately 12-14 percent of the general population.[citation needed] Standardised diagnostic procedures have been developed to individualise the colour selection.[citation needed] Experts call the syndrome and the treatment controversial and because it is based on insufficient research.[1] However, current research on the topic includes placebo controls, longitudinal studies, and cutting-edge brain mappingtechnology, all of which support the use of color to alleviate the symptoms associated with Irlen Syndrome.

Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome[edit source | editbeta]

Scotopic sensitivity syndrome, also known as the Irlen Syndrome', is said to be a visual-perceptual defect related to difficulties with light source, glare, luminance, wavelength and black/white contrast. According to Irlen, these difficulties lead to reading problems, eye-strain, headaches, migraines, and other physical difficulties that can be alleviated by the use of person specific tinted lenses, known as Irlen Spectral Filters, worn as glasses or contact lenses.

The syndrome has six characteristics:

1. photophobia
    2. eye strain
    3. poor visual resolution
    4. a reduced span of focus
    5. impaired depth perception
    6. poor sustained focus

The scotopic sensitivity syndrome is diagnosed by interviewing the client and by observing responses to certain visual tasks such as interpreting geometric figures and reading.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• edited August 2013

I wonder if these would work: http://www.gunnars.com/

• Don't seem to say anything about blocking any blue light. Not sure they'd be ideal for cutting out the blue light pre bed.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I'm about to order a pair of the Uvex glasses from Amazon (even with Dave's ones coming out, who knows how soon that will be or how much it will cost because according to this post "it will probably be a while").

It seems the price at the moment is lower than normal: $8 when I'm sure I remember them being like $13 just the other day. Any

• The ones I purchased are working really well. Only need them on for an hour or so, getting off to sleep pretty quickly. Wear them 5 or 6 days out of the week, always notice a difference when it comes time to sleep.

Definitely worth the purchase price, it's just remembering to wear them and not worrying what you look like ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• First off I wanted to add my recommendation on the UVEX glasses. Been using them two weeks and am noticing a huge difference in falling asleep. 

At night I like to do some reading on my Kindle (non-backlit, e-reader version). I hate wearing the glasses once I am actually in bed. Anyone have any recommendations for a reading light that doesn't have the blue spectrum in it? I have seen the night light and some of the compact fluorescents that don't have blue but am looking for something I could read with?

• edited August 2013

MAGN3T5

As far as I know currently there is difficulty developing a coating for light bulbs which blocks blue light and lasts a decent length of time. I guess this is why Dave only stocks low-blue night lights in the upgraded self store From the book I just read:

"The only problem was we could not find any higher wattage lamps with the right filtering action. We set out to get some coated ourselves using pigment that appeared perfect. After working for a couple of years on it, we still do not have a coating for either compact fluorescent or incandescent lamps of higher light output that lasts for the life of the lamp. It seems like such a simple problem, but so far the solution eludes us."

Hansler, Richard (2012-09-10). Great Sleep! Reduced Cancer!: A Scientific Approach to Great Sleep and Reduced Cancer Risk (p. 50). CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. Kindle Edition. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099360XA/)

Edit: I see that https://www.lowbluelights.com/products.asp has some possible stuff.

- 25 Watt Compact Fluorescent Lamp $16.95: https://www.lowbluelights.com/detail.asp?id=53

- 60 Watt Incandescent Lamp $4.00: https://www.lowbluelights.com/detail.asp?id=7

• Thanks for the great post! I love the idea of a flashlight. I plan on ordering a few, if I can find out enough about the LEDS I bet I could solder them into a reading light no problem.

• How about getting an Edison Bulb? http://www.amazon.com/Ferrowatt-F1920-Antique-Replica-Candle/dp/B003T0CGJQ/ref=pd_sim_hi_2

I have one for my bedroom and it seems to help when I'm reading.

• i have been using a pair since January. i cannot provide minute day-to-day details on how it has affected me, but i feel like i am getting sleepier earlier in the evening when i use them frequently.

Patrick Graham

You should visit my website here.

• I ordered the ugly ass UVEX glasses and have been using them for the last 3 days..

I also found these and they seem to be much less of an eyesore.. What do you guys think? 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NP6NG2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Are they bulletproof will they do the job as well??

BUTTER TEA

• DigitalJazzDigitalJazz There is no spoon....
    Just thought I'd toss in on this topic as well. Particularly for those who have shared what my concern was when getting into the blue blocking glasses phenomenon, which is wanting something that they could potentially wear around other people or even in public without looking like a 1st class weirdo.

I have a couple pair of wraparounds that I tried using, like the safety glasses that seem to be so popular, but then I found these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AV1WOQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The photo of the glasses doesn't actually show the orange lenses but I assure you they are. Someone at amazon has the wrong link to the image there.

I wear these pretty much everyday now. Like others I'll put them on in the evening. Most importantly, though, I wear them in public when I'm out in the evenings and I know I am going to want to wind down soon. People have actually commented that they like them. Far better than the "weirdo" vibe you might get from the safety glasses.
    They look like this:
  • Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• So I was in "big box" store last week and ran into this bulb.

http://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-BPESL13T-13-Watt-Fluorescent/dp/B000LWIQ1C

It was $4 so I decided to give it a try. I have to say I am quite impressed. I went back and bought 4 more of them. I use this at night to read and am really impressed at how well they work. I really don't think this emits hardly any blue. I get the same results using this light as I do my UVEX glasses.

• edited August 2013

Cool, well my Uvex glasses arrived this morning, so I'm pretty stoked to try them out tonight.

So far my efforts have mostly been:

1) F.lux on my computer.

2) Turning off as many lights as possible in the 4 hours or so before I go to bed.

3) Getting as little exposure to light as possible as night time and trying not to look in the direction of light.

4) Going to bed at a reasonable hour and waking up at the same time every day.

5) Instead of laying in bed and reading a book like I love to do, I've been turning off all of the lights and listening to a podcast for an hour while waiting for my magnesium and melatonin supplements to kick in as well as my natural melatonin production.

Which have all given me pretty good results I must say. I use Pzizz as well sometimes, but I only listen to it for about 20 minutes to help me relax then I turn it off before going to sleep. Reason mainly being is that I have 60% hearing loss in both my ears due to premature birth and the voice/sounds aren't clear enough for me to hear properly when they come out of the speaker. 

With these glasses I plan to put them on at around 8pm-9pm and then wear them until I turn off all the lights and go to bed at 11pm. Wake up at 6:30-7am depending on the movement that Sleep Cycle detects.

PvS54Xs.jpg?1

• A nice Q&A on the TED Blog with circadian neuroscientist Russell Foster. The effects of light manipulation and light therapy are mentioned frequently.

http://blog.ted.com/2013/08/14/the-connection-between-sleep-and-mental-health-a-qa-with-circadian-neuroscientist-russell-foster/

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

I find my glasses work pretty quickly, sometimes I forget to put them on and only wear them for 10mins before getting ready for bed and then doing 10mins inner balance in bed, so maybe 30mins in total. Have trouble keeping my eyes open during my inner balance.

I find the white noise devices are good at drowning out any extra noise that might stop you from dropping off. I have pzizz running for an hour, but doubt I hear more than 10-15 mins worth.

Got turning my iPhone onto airplane mode every night before sleep into my routine now. So at the very worst I don't get woken up with txt messages, although if the worlds ending I'll never know :wink:

Just earthing left to sort for my sleep hacking. Been testing the straps, but they don't seem to work at the moment. My earthing mat at work is working perfectly, but the straps in the same environment with the same connections aren't showing any improvements on the multimeter at the moment. So might be an earthing sheet on the cards along with that new sleep sensor (Beddit). Once funds are available of course :wink:

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

@Katolotus - Instead of airplane mode you can always use "Do Not Disturb" mode, which is customizable allowing you to specify accepting calls or messages from specific people. This is what I use, just in the unfortunate chance that if, say, my parents were calling in the middle of the night it would likely be a dire emergency.
  • Yeah, I use that, but let favourite calls come through.

The bigger issue is turning off the wifi and phone signal, so you don't fry your brain (if it turns out it does). iPhone is used on my mattress by my head all night for the sleep cycle app, so it's more about the waves ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• The Italian company, Beretta makes shooting glasses.  Not bad looking as these things go.  You can see them on the USA site: http://www.berettausa.com/products/shooting-glasses/soc310001/

Around $15 USD

You can likely find them in Europe.

• Those look just like these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NP6NG2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I got my pair of the above and they work just as well as the uvex and they are not as ugly at all... 

I def recommended this pair....

BUTTER TEA

• You need to make sure they are 100% blue light blocking. Being yellow/orange tint isn't enough! I bought 3 pairs before I got it right. These two above don't mention blue light anywhere that I could see (although I'm not good a looking) ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter