Blue Light Blocking Glasses

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather

You will have to contact the manufacture to be 100% sure.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• so people are wearing these blue blockers just to sleep properly? what about wearing them to eliminate eye fatigue/strain, and CVS? I used to have bad CVS and I use UVEX glasses during the evening and I think they are quite helpful. I guess the other alternative would be to find a adequate anti glare screen for your monitor. I know there are a few good ones out there these days that may effectively filter out blue light.

Alternatively, Oakley make some sunglasses that are 100% blocking out ALL blue light, however they are sunglasses, and the lens may be too dark to wear indoors on a computer.

http://au.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/uv-protection

however these lenses are fragile and can be easily scratched. not to mention the exorbitant price tag.

• Just found this site! The glasses are fashionable enough to be able to insure proper melatonin secretion and to pick up girls at the same time, a once impossible feat with the uvex glasses that made people ask me when I was going back to the construction site. 

The website claims that the "Malenium lenses block 100% of UV and blue light"

http://www.blublocker.com/

Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

• the "Eagle" ones are kind of tempting since they are the cheapest and don't look too bad...but i'm wondering if one of these cheaper ones would be equally effective: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=blue+blocker+glasses&qid=1382589567&rh=n%3A1036592%2Ck%3Ablue+blocker+glasses&sort=relevance-fs-browse-rank

==============

I am going to call the website and confirm that they block 100% of blue-light. By doing that before buying and doing the test that Geek Gone Strong posted above after buying is the only way to be sure, I checked my Uvex glasses and the blue box was black.. I couldn't even make out a "VERY slight tinge of blue". But yeah, I would definitely look sexier in the eagles compared to the Uvex "goggles" lol Try having a new girlfriend come over late at night and have to explain why you want to wear "construction goggles" hahaha

Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

• cool, let us know! i'm still deciding whether i wanna get some from that site or one of the cheaper ones on amazon. 

• I'd rock these personally http://www.amazon.com/Blocking-Driving-Wayfarers-Sunglasses-Tinted/dp/B00741IHSU/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_2

Just curious how many people are falling asleep on the job wearing the UVEX blue blockers? 

• I'd rock these personally http://www.amazon.com/Blocking-Driving-Wayfarers-Sunglasses-Tinted/dp/B00741IHSU/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_2

Just curious how many people are falling asleep on the job wearing the UVEX blue blockers? 

i ordered the 2-pack and they arrived yesterday. just a heads up, these aren't just blueblockers, they're also sunglasses...as in they make things quite a bit dimmer compared to the UVEX ones. they also allow a lot of light around the edges, but that was kind of expected. i'll probably save these for when i'm out and about at night and just want to avoid drawing too much attention with construction goggles (i already get enough of that with my vibrams!)

• edited November 2013

Just called Blublockers, they're closed. they only operate from 8-3. Their voicemail made it sound like a small family owned business. I am going to email them, so that way I can get their response to post on here. What questions would you like to ask?

I am going to ask these:

1) Do you guarantee that your glasses block 100% of blue light?

2) If not, can you guarantee that any of them block 100% or close of blue light? If so which ones?

3) I am trying to wear these at night to make insure proper melatonin release to get me ready for bed, do you understand how that works? Would you suggest these glasses for that?

4) Do you think polarized lenses will make a difference in why I am wearing them?

5) If you do not know if these answers, do you have a money back guarantee if the glasses do not enough blue light?

• Does anyone know how strong an amber tint is required to block blue light and still see indoors.

I am simply going to order a pair of prescription glasses.

PS I wear prescription glasses so amazon is not an option for me.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013

I'm thinking about getting a pair of prescription glass with BLB lenses, as I don't need glasses yet, but to have a weak prescription from my last eye test. They didn't seem to know too much about it at the eye test and I tried to contact the Gunnar people, but got no reply and that was month's ago. Would like a nice pair of glasses to wear in the evening to watch TV and block the blue light, but can't find anyone with enough knowledge in both fields at the moment. Haven't looked too hard yet. Might be a weekend task :wink:

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Yeah, I emailed blublocker.com and they did not reply either.

• Okay, so you guys know those "HD Vision" glasses from the infomercials that they sell at your local walgreens/cvs? Turns out they are blue blockers. I do know know HOW effective they are, some more researching lead me to learn that the company I posted above, blublocker, were the first manufactures of blue blocking glasses way back in the day. People used to wear the blublockers because they increases clarity due to no glare or squint caused by blue light... you can see where the HD Vision glasses gets its claims now. 

• Had an interesting conversation at Vision Express store today about Blue Light Blocking lenses.

I have a prescription for glasses that I don't really need, but obviously makes my vision slightly better, so been thinking about getting some prescription glasses with orange lenses (100% blue light blocking) to use in the evening when I watch some TV and use my cheap plastic glasses for blue light. I wear my current glasses every night for a couple of hours before bed and would be nice to have some higher quality frames that'll be more comfortable and fully corrected vision.

So.....

I went into Vision Express today to see if they could tint prescription lenses with a 100% blue light blocking tint, so I could look at getting a nice pair to wear in the evenings. Spoke to 3 people and no one really knew what I was talking about. One lady said she was studying this subject and how blue light damages eyes and told me vision express do a 'Blue Control' coating that blocks blue light from computer screen and other sources. Showing me a lens with the coating, it was clear with a very very slight blue tint when you hold it up to the light and is obviously to be worn all times of the day. She knew quite a lot about blue light, but nothing about what we use it for, i.e. better sleep.

I asked what percentage of blue light the 'Blue Control' lens blocks, but they didn't know and are going to call me this week with an answer. Obviously it can be 100%, as you shouldn't wear them all day from what I've read as I thought you need some blue light during daylight hours. I had a look around online (no info on the vision express site) and found something similar that was 35% blocking. Good for using all day, but not what you want in the evening to help prepare for sleep. I'll find out more info when they contact me (if they do). Although now I'm thinking about getting some glasses to wear at work in front of the screen with this coating on, which might help as I'm in front of a computer screen 8hrs everyday. Need to look into it a little more.

If they do come back with a figure around 30%, they can tint the prescription lenses to any tint. I'm not aware if just tinting yellow/orange/red will block 100% blue light, or if something else is needed. If they can block 35% with no visible tint, maybe there's more to it. I really want 100% blocking if I going to spend money on these glasses, as I have a pair that work perfect, but just don't have the prescription.

Any thoughts? I'll update as I get more info and if I end up purchasing any glasses, either for evening or day wear.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Sorry if this has already been posted in this thread I didn't take the time to read all 7 pages... but on the Creative Live series Dave talks about getting his glasses custom tinted from a company called Irlen. Looks like you can find a practitioner using their website that can meet with you and get you the exact color shade your eyes need for optimal performance. There is also a questionnaire on their site you can take and have the results emailed to you.

http://irleninstitute.gostorego.com

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013

Dave wears his during the day! Not 100% blue light blocking from what I've heard, they're for a few other issues he has apparently.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Exactly, I though we need it during daylight hours. Guess the blue control is a about 35% blocking, so you're still getting 65% blue light.

Beat you to that article ;-)

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/7270-could-blue-lights-replace-a-daily-cup-of-coffee/

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I bought some of the "hd vision glasses" from walgreens, they block about 50% of blue light. And as I understand the main reason Dave wears his is because he gets migraines from fluorescent lighting, and the are a special lense made by Irlen Institute specifically for him.

• Hi Guys,

I thought i'd add to this thread, as i'm about to order a pair of orange tinted overglasses for myself. See link.

http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/sunwear/category.php?id=53

They say 100% Blue blocking up to 520nm.  They fit over my prescription pair and they look pretty stylish. Not too pricey either

I will give an update when they come though etc.

• Surprise surprise vision express never called me back!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Rang them up and they still didn't know, but got back to me to say the blue control just cuts part of the blue light spectrum that digital devices give off. So you can wear them all day and they won't effect melatonine production either way, just better for your eyes if you're in front of a computer all day.

Asked them about blue light blocking tints and they said they'd call me back, but nothing again. Might pop in there today, not that they'll know anything. Looking at prices for adding my prescription to my sunglasses and thinking about getting some glasses for work with the prescription and the blue control lenses just for using a work. Then might look at a prescription pair with a blue light blocking tint, depending on what I find out.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Going to take my BlueLight blocking glasses into a proper opticians this week and see if they can tint prescription lenses to match. Don't think a chain like Vision Express know what they are doing with anything other than the basics. Then I can look at the options for my prescription and computer work/bluelight blocking.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I wonder how well Gunnar glasses would work?

http://www.gunnars.com

• Since my world has become very synchronistic, I had been looking around for some blue blocking glasses. Searching around online.

I also ended up doing a deep cleaning of my room / purge of junk, and found a pair of my old snowboarding goggles, which are orange tint.

Badass. Free blue blocking glasses!

Also a tip - end of the night, if you're going to be reading or writing (for example), consider using candle light instead of electrical light. Fire produces a quality light spectrum which we need more of in our life.

• I wonder how well Gunnar glasses would work?

http://www.gunnars.com

Read the earlier posts. Tried to contact them already and had no response from multiple emails from months back.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Gunnars are for only looking at a screen at close range....  they are not for long range sight and things look distorted....  I have a pair and also asked the company about it....  They said they are not designed of everyday blue blocker use......

- Dan
    ★彡On the path of optimal health...... B)
    ★"Keeping it real"★
    Love to learn, study and apply Nutrition, Health and Athleticism for a Superhuman Life.

• edited December 2013

Ok, trying these this time.

http://www.optimalowvision.co.uk/product.cfm?prod=1022&dept=910

Third times a charm :-P

Hi Katolotus, how do they sell these? I can see they have quite an impressive range! Do they sell it with frames or it is just the shape you have to choose to fit your own frame? These seem too be too cheap if they would include frame as well...

BTW, for Europeans there is yet another choice, Made In Germany - my wife has these http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aprisma+brille&keywords=prisma+brille&ie=UTF8&qid=1387225817, I have bought these http://www.amazon.de/PRiSMA-bluelightprotect-Bildschirmbrille-CLASSiC-Blaulichtschutz/dp/B001O3PP84/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1387225894&sr=8-4&keywords=prisma+brille, but they do not really fit on my nose/head...

• Starting to reach the General Public!

Health: This week's issues and advice

By SARAH STACEY

PUBLISHED: 00:01 GMT, 22 December 2013 | UPDATED: 00:01 GMT, 22 December 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2525953/Health-This-weeks-issues-advice.html#ixzz2oNURCMvb 

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• yeah i wear those too. i don't mind folks thinking it looks funny, but i was a little annoyed when some friends started calling me bono. NOT a U2 fan.