Grass-fed meat options

Abe_RAbe_R
edited November 10 in Bulletproof Diet

which should I choose?

Grass-fed beef imported from Australia (way more cuts available)
Grass-fed beef from California (only ground beef available)
Grass-fed beef available locally (all grain-fed in the winter, I've asked all the farmers nearby)

Grass-fed chicken & pork locally (grass-fed year round, nearly all cuts available.)

Lately I have been getting the Australia import when on sale and some chicken and pork (in bulk when he can do it, just bacon and chicken breasts mostly.) The Australia import is about half the price of the California... so that seems worth it. Does anyone know if the Australia is 100% grass-fed grass-finished? The guys at the earth fare said they had no way of knowing.

Any organ meats good from chicken & pig? I really don't want to eat the beef around here since its subsidized with grain feed for sure.

Comments

• I would choose the local beef. You put money into your neighbors hands. If you have the option of when they slaughter it, get it in the fall if the little bit of grain scares you.

It has been a while since I have done my homework, but when I did I found very little solid evidence to suggest that grain fed beef is worse for you or CAFO is worse for you. There is some conjecture that makes sense as to why it may or may not be better for you. I recommend you do your homework and make your own conclusions.

As far as importing beef or other meats from other countries or states, who knows what the heck you're getting. Again, do your homework on different certifying agencies and other regulations which may provide assurance of the produce you're getting.

Ultimately, weigh the real and your perceived economical, ethical, health/nutrition factors and make a descion.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Abe! We meet again, lol. Just responded on your mold thread. I actually like Wegman's organic grass-fed beef, which is I think from Uganda. Their lamb is grass-fed and it's awesome. The beef is awesome. So, I haven't had much luck with American meat, even from my own local farm. Not sure why. The organs always taste gamey too, and that from various local farms around me. I guess some other American grass-fed beefs were okay like from Whole Foods or each regular grocery stores' brands, but I would reckon that Australian or Kiwi (NZ) beef is great, too, because they are just awesome at making grass-fed beef (they have basically only done it that way for a long time from what I've heard). I don't know why, but Wegman's is just the best, though.

Oh yeah, and as it so happens, Walmart and Aldi have grass-fed beef. Have tried the latter and it was pretty decent.

PS- I have beef with this post.

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

@Bull of Heaven said:
    I would choose the local beef. You put money into your neighbors hands. If you have the option of when they slaughter it, get it in the fall if the little bit of grain scares you.

It has been a while since I have done my homework, but when I did I found very little solid evidence to suggest that grain fed beef is worse for you or CAFO is worse for you. There is some conjecture that makes sense as to why it may or may not be better for you. I recommend you do your homework and make your own conclusions.

As far as importing beef or other meats from other countries or states, who knows what the heck you're getting. Again, do your homework on different certifying agencies and other regulations which may provide assurance of the produce you're getting.

Ultimately, weigh the real and your perceived economical, ethical, health/nutrition factors and make a descion.

No, grass-fed beef is observably better for you, because it is less likely to have mycotoxins (from the grains) and far less likely to have antibiotics. That is the Bulletproof stance, and I can attest from my own experience with it.

• Thanks Modern, that was my conclusion as well! I am getting the Australian import from Earth fare when it is on sale (there is usually at least one cut on sale.) If there's none on sale I get the Aldi one (I would assume that it is imported as well, not sure where from.)

Ya, the local farmers definitely feed their cows grains in the winter here and that is a big concern to me (history of mold sensitivity since a child.) Plus, the farmers I have met are FAT! Not buying their food!

• eanageleanagel
    edited November 15

wait, where can i order this grass fed beef? anyone have a link for the seller in australia? i have access to wild fish up here (AK), and caribou/reindeer meat, but i would love to get a steak once in a while.

• http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJCN/15/1/21.pdf
    https://www.animalsciencepublications.org/publications/jas/articles/86/12/0863575
    This two links are cited in the BPD Book on page 48. Worth reading.

MLS you are wrong, mycotoxins and antibiotics has nothing to do with the BP stance on grass fed meat. Asprey's only argument is in relation to fatty acid content. It is interesting when comparing Asprey's theories on the n-6 and n-3 relationship to health and the conclusions and rhetoric used by the authors of the two studies I linked above.

If you eat wild fish and reduce your omega 6 fatty acid intake who cares if the omega fat ratio is a little better in grass fed beef?

Who here has even done enough of their own homework to know what their ideal ratio, and if/how their diet manipulates it?
    Isn't it funny how the Dave Asprey has always pointed out that dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with blood lipid levels, but somehow different fatty acids in diet can alter blood levels?

:shrugs:

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• @eanagel said:
    wait, where can i order this grass fed beef? anyone have a link for the seller in australia? i have access to wild fish up here (AK), and caribou/reindeer meat, but i would love to get a steak once in a while.

The Australia beef I am referring to is imported TO the USA & sold by my local Earth Fare

• oh i see. i looked up the store site. it's not here in AK :( i'll have to do more research.