Versatile Bulletproof Casserole for Refeed Days

I've been eating bulletproof on and off since early 2014. I keep coming back because it works but I do stray from time to time. I can only mash up avocado with ground beef with steamed kale so many days in a row.

One of the ways I've helped keep myself on track is by making elaborate (elaborate to me, not sure what level of cook you are!) meals that are just so good I could eat them every day. Below is an example of one of these meals - made up of a few different parts that can be easily transitioned into other meals to help reduce the redundancy.

I typically do a refeed day every other Sunday. On refeed days I typically like to make something along these lines and I thought I'd share since the recipe section hasnt had much love lately. This recipe is a bit involved and won't be ideal if you're crunched for time. If you like spending time in the kitchen, its for you.

I always kind of grimace when someone posts a "bulletproof" recipe that isnt bulletproof and I may have overlooked something here that isnt going to be bulletproof. If you notice one, please let me know so I can adjust.

Would love to hear any ideas you may have to make it better!

The example I'm using here is a seafood casserole but it can easily be adapted to a beef, pork, or veggie casserole!

Shrimp Broth

2T Ghee
2LB Shrimp shells
4 coin sized slices of ginger
3 Sprigs fresh parsley
1 small shallot - halved
1 clove garlic - minced
2 bay leaves
8 cups water or dashi broth

I'm unsure of the BP-ness of Dashi broth. I'll omit the Dashi portion for this recipe right now, but if dashi is ok just substitute it for water

Step 1 - add ghee to stock pot and once melted add shrimp shells

2 - once all shells are a bright pink color add 3 coins of ginger, parsley, shallot, garlic, bay leaves, and crush the 4th ginger coin into a garlic press to almost juice it

3 - cover and cook down on low-medium heat for a 20+ minutes to allow these flavors to really come through - make sure not to burn and just sweat everything out

4 - add enough water/broth just to cover the shells and bring to a boil

5 - as soon as liquid reaches a slight boil, reduce to low and simmer 40 minutes or longer depending on how rich you want the broth. I usually grab a ramekin and dip it in, salt it a bit and taste to see how much longer to go.

6 - strain the broth in a sieve and make sure to press onto all the shells and other solids as you do this to extract the most amount of flavor. It's important to not skip this step as a surprising amount of flavor comes from this technique.

**Puree of Cauliflower as the "Sauce"

2T unsalted butter
5 cloves minced garlic
2 large heads of cauliflower
8 cups of broth - the broth I choose here is always home made and will vary from chicken or beef bone to shrimp stock depending on what i want to add this to. Home made is a must for several reasons, but flavor just wont be good with store bought.
1-2 egg yolks (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 filets of anchovy to taste (optional)
Fresh lemon juice

Step 1 - Melt 2T butter on very low heat and add minced garlic - make sure to slowly cook the garlic. You want to avoid any and all coloring

2 - Add 8 cups of broth to a large pot and bring to boil - when at boil add cauliflower and reduce heat to medium and cover - when its soft enough to easily insert a knife through a larger piece remove from heat. about 6-7 minutes.

3 - add cauliflower to blender along with 1 cup of the cooking liquid and puree. add a little more cooking liquid once thats incorporated to obtain desired consistency

4 - Taste mixture! It will definitely need salt. let mixture cool and add anchovy filets (if using). Add juice from 1/2 lemon and taste. Add a pinch of salt and/or more anchovy and/or more lemon as needed. Make sure to taste often at this stage as to not over salt the mixture. You dont want to taste lemon, just to brighten the mixture with the needed acidity.

At this point the heavy lifting is done. You can make this a day in advance if you want too.

From here you can gently poach or steam the fish of your choosing. I had frozen cod that needed to be used and was craving shrimp, so thats what I chose. Feel free to use sockeye salmon or anything else you have on hand or prefer!

I poached a pound of cod and 1 pound of wild caught shrimp and laid it down in a casserole dish.

From here you can add rice, rice noodles, and/or the healthy starch of your choosing. Also the appropriate time to add the veggies and herbs of your choosing. I'd recommend blanching the greens in heavily salted water and immediately transferring them to ice water. I really like to add spinach, chopped fresh parsley, artichoke, green beans, and zucchini noodles. If using pastured pork instead of seafood, I really like brussel sprouts and fennel as a veggie combo.

Finally pour the cauliflower mixture over the top and dot with a few final pieces of shrimp, lemon juice, chopped parsley and raw macademia nuts for garnish. The cauliflower broth mixture if really the star of the dish.