Antibiotics and probiotics

I'm so confused and definitely need some help. So ive come acrossed some articles which state that antibiotics can potentially permanently alter beneficial bacteria after the course is done. https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-09/antibiotics-may-be-permanently-altering-our-friendly-gut-microbes this is just one. Now if this is true they tell you to just take a probiotic which in most cases is transient and doesn't really colonize the gut. And also you'd only be supplying ten strains compared to hundreds that got destroyed during treatment. Is this true? I'm asking because I want to take antimicrobial s for parasites but I don't want to permanently kill my good bacteria. So depressed right now..

Comments

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭✭

Yes, that's more or less true. That's why you don't usually want to use antibiotics for something mild or trivial like a cold.

Parasites are on the other end of that spectrum - they can be very dangerous to your health, causing a lot more havoc than the antibiotics would cause. That's a case where I'd want to take antibiotics - the risks of having parasites far outweigh the risks of using antibiotics.

Get rid of the parasites first, then you can work on getting your gut healthy. There are lots of ways to improve gut health, not very many ways to be healthy with parasites.

• @jcg3 said:
    Yes, that's more or less true. That's why you don't usually want to use antibiotics for something mild or trivial like a cold.

Parasites are on the other end of that spectrum - they can be very dangerous to your health, causing a lot more havoc than the antibiotics would cause. That's a case where I'd want to take antibiotics - the risks of having parasites far outweigh the risks of using antibiotics.

Get rid of the parasites first, then you can work on getting your gut healthy. There are lots of ways to improve gut health, not very many ways to be healthy with parasites.

How would you restore/improve gut health post antibiotics?

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭✭

There are all sorts of things you can do - probiotics, acacia gum, fulvic minerals (aka restore4life), colostrum, fermented foods... you may want to find a holistic doctor or health coach that can help.

Your diet will actually help a lot - if you stick to the bulletproof roadmap you'll avoid most of the toxins and irritants that can impact gut health.

• I've been off and on antibiotics for about 2 years to help with acne. I used a blood testing service called Indur several months ago and their system recommended a probiotic as a high impact supplement, After I started taking this supplement (and others) i noticed a huge difference in the gut issues I had been having. I highly recommend probiotic use! You might want to check out Indur as well. They have been a lifesaver for me. getindur.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file