Fasting impact of added resistant starch

Are benefits of bulletproof fasting mitigated if resistant starch is added in the morning?

Was also curious if added unsaturated fat (avocado oil for example) would mitigate a "fast" that only included saturated fats (like MCT/butter).

From the research I've done - it appears that resistant starches won't mitigate ketosis, though would love to hear other peoples thoughts/opinions/experiences.

Comments

• Calories in the part of a starch that is resistant don't count I believe because you don't digest it, your gut floura does. Potato starch should theoretically be fine, but if you use green banana flour, I'm pretty sure only half of that is resistant. As for fat, there's monounsaturated fat in butter, so I don't see how having avocado oil would be a problem. Fat doesn't trigger an insulin response regardless of what the fat is, that's what matters. I think saturated fat offers more energy than monounsaturated regardless if it's medium chain or not. Butter is incorporated because it's tasty, mostly...and the mct for the quick energy.

Adding avocado oil wont add much flavor at all, and it wont offer as immediate energy as mct. Do you want to add avocado oil to balance out your saturated/monounsaturated ratio? I tend to eat at least one avocado a day, I'm always eating sardines in olive oil for lunch, and I always drizzle olive oil over my dinner. I also eat about a 3rd of a 4oz baking chocolate bar every day with my coffee.(good for HDL and lowers cholesterol) My daily ratio of saturated and monounsaturated is likely always going to be in the favor of mono, or at least pretty even. It's not particularly bulletproof to be concerned of too much saturated fat, but I rather my cholesterol results look good on a standard cholesterol test. I don't want to require a particle test that my insurance wont cover to confirm an unorthodox cholesterol result is indeed healthy. Doing this definitely did the trick and got the doctor off my back, haha.

• @Blasphyx said:
    Calories in the part of a starch that is resistant don't count I believe because you don't digest it, your gut floura does. Potato starch should theoretically be fine, but if you use green banana flour, I'm pretty sure only half of that is resistant. As for fat, there's monounsaturated fat in butter, so I don't see how having avocado oil would be a problem. Fat doesn't trigger an insulin response regardless of what the fat is, that's what matters. I think saturated fat offers more energy than monounsaturated regardless if it's medium chain or not. Butter is incorporated because it's tasty, mostly...and the mct for the quick energy.

Adding avocado oil wont add much flavor at all, and it wont offer as immediate energy as mct. Do you want to add avocado oil to balance out your saturated/monounsaturated ratio? I tend to eat at least one avocado a day, I'm always eating sardines in olive oil for lunch, and I always drizzle olive oil over my dinner. I also eat about a 3rd of a 4oz baking chocolate bar every day with my coffee.(good for HDL and lowers cholesterol) My daily ratio of saturated and monounsaturated is likely always going to be in the favor of mono, or at least pretty even. It's not particularly bulletproof to be concerned of too much saturated fat, but I rather my cholesterol results look good on a standard cholesterol test. I don't want to require a particle test that my insurance wont cover to confirm an unorthodox cholesterol result is indeed healthy. Doing this definitely did the trick and got the doctor off my back, haha.

I hit the “like” on your comment because I, too, eat sardines regularly. It’s delicious with white rice and some hot sauce - as long as you could tolerate the nightshades in the hot sauce.

• kevinstock I'd add that using resisten starch has never impacted ketosis with me.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but do the sardine lovers know of a source for frozen ones (other than expensive Wholeys)?

We shall not cease from exploration, the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
    Eliot

• Don't put resistant starch in hot liquids though...Supposedly you can if it's under 140F, but I still don't trust it. I don't know how potato starch in coffee would fare anyway...I know green banana flour is super thick and would ruin the coffee if added.