New to this diet and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong / have some questions. Can you help???

Hi all!
I have been on this diet for 20 days now and have not lost any weight since Day 8 or 9. In the first 8 days, I lost 6lbs. Then nothing. I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, since I must have missed something. I'd really appreciate it!

A bit about me... I'm 46 years old, 5'6" and now 165. I'd like to at least get down to 155. I read that on BP that women over 40 should take some sort of protein with their coffee, but I'm allergic to dairy (which would be whey) and I don't eat meat, chicken or gelatin (or collagen). Once I ate a soft boiled egg with my coffee, but then worried I wasn't supposed to do that because it "broke the fast". I have tested my Ketones with the ReliOn urine strips for the past 3 days, and it only shows small amounts of ketones in my urine (meaning I'm not in ketosis?). I used my father's blood sugar test (he's diabetic) this morning and my level was at 82 (I'm not sure what that means, but maybe someone here does).
I have been thinking that maybe I'm not getting enough protein? Exercise-wise, I do HIIT classes or 20 mins of weights once per week, walk about 30 mins on inclined treadmill once per week and yoga 1-2 times per week. (I usually do more, but I've cut back on working out since starting this diet.) Everything I'm taking is completely BP (grass-fed butter, pastured eggs, wild fish, etc...)

My diet is simply:
8:30am: BP coffee (2 T butter, 1 T MCT oil)
1:30 or 2pm: usually 2 eggs (poached or sunny side up) with mixed greens or veggies in grass-fed butter.
7:30 or 8pm: usually some wild fish or salmon burger (20 g protein) with different mixed veggies (in the green zone) in butter or a salad with MCT oil (or sometimes both) and maybe a half avocado with one of my meals.
I also eat about 1/2 grapefruit every 1-2 days with one of my meals, and if (on occasion) I don't feel satisfied with my meal, I will have a 1 T raw almond butter and twice I've had an 86% dark chocolate Lindt square, but felt guilty about it.

I read somewhere on BP that someone should be eating half their weight (of lbs.) in grams of protein. Is that true? I really can't imagine eating twice as much protein as I'm eating now. (So if I'm 165 lbs, I should be eating at least 82g. of protein?!?)

I did follow the protein fast day twice, but am not sure it was for me.

Also, I'm finding the diet a bit confusing because the first 2 weeks are supposedly BP diet weeks, then it says you are on maintenance. But if I'm not at the weight I want to be at, am I supposed to stick to the first "2 weeks plan" or go into "maintenance mode"? I am really confused! And I know they say that white rice is supposed to be the best of all starches, but aside from the protein fast day, am I ever supposed to even eat them? I keep going through the book looking for answers, but can't seem to find them.

So, as you can see I have lots of questions, so if you have answers to ANY of the following, I'd really appreciate your help! Thank you!!!
I would be forever grateful!

1) What should I supplement with the coffee if I can't do Collagen or Whey (since I'm a woman over 40, don't eat meat and allergic to dairy)?
2) Why would I not be in Ketosis after 20 days (if I'm following the plan)?
3) Am I not getting enough protein?
4) Why haven't I lost any weight for the past 12 days?
5) Am I supposed to still be in diet mode or Maintenance mode at Day 20 but with at least 10 lbs still to lose?
6) Am I supposed to cut out carbs after 2 weeks or just minimally eat them?

Comments

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Hi! I'd like to go through your whole post, but let me just respond to the first thing I noticed. I know the intermittent fasting is very appealing, but most women report better results when they have some protein in the morning. The egg should do very well to accompany your breakfast. That's what my wife does, but she's in "maintenance mode" (for several years now) so she even mixes in some carbs with that sometimes.

I can take a look at the rest of your post and answer some more of your questions a little later. It sounds like you're doing a good job on this thing. You might just need a few tweaks!

edited February 21

I would focus on getting some more calories. I don't think you need to be zero-carb. The diet, last time I checked anyway, allows for carbs. It's not a zero-carb diet, just a low-carb diet. Your blood sugar sounds fine, by the way.

With this amount of deprivation of carbs and calories, your metabolism might be getting a little shot. You could definitely do some carbs at night, and after those HIIT workouts (essential). Maybe cap it at 75-100 g at first, and if that causes weight gain, then lower to 50-75. If you must, you can try 25-50 g, but 0 (like you're doing) is going to be a bit devastating to your system. Yes, you will have to monitor your keytones (you'd know better about that than I), but the fact remains that lowered carbs will cause weight loss. Check out this article I just found by Ben Greenfield for some safety advice on low-carb: https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/low-carb-ketogenic-diet-articles/10-ways-to-do-a-low-carbohydrate-diet-the-right-way/

edited February 22

Maybe also look at Abel James' Wild Diet, which follows a lot of the same principles and is similarly practical. There was this weight loss show with this middle-aged guy who lost like 100+ pounds, and Shaun T was one of the judges, and he was completely incredulous at the ease of this guy losing all this weight while eating cheeseburgers.

• "The egg should do very well to accompany your breakfast. I would focus on getting some more calories. I don't think you need to be zero-carb. The diet, last time I checked anyway, allows for carbs. It's not a zero-carb diet, just a low-carb diet. Your blood sugar sounds fine, by the way."

Thanks so much for taking the time to make some suggestions. :) I had 2 eggs in butter with my BP coffee this morning. I'll start incorporating some BP carbs for dinner. (I just saw in the book that around 30g is good.) Both the eggs and adding carbs should increase my caloric intake as well.
    I just had some blood work done yesterday, and will get the results next week. I'm assuming my cholesterol will be pretty high. I'll post when it comes out.
    One more thing I don't understand though... Since I am in Week 3, am I considered on Maintenance (because I already did the 2 Weeks), even though I haven't reached my goal weight?

Thanks again~ :smile:

edited February 22

@marilgen said:
    "The egg should do very well to accompany your breakfast. I would focus on getting some more calories. I don't think you need to be zero-carb. The diet, last time I checked anyway, allows for carbs. It's not a zero-carb diet, just a low-carb diet. Your blood sugar sounds fine, by the way."

Thanks so much for taking the time to make some suggestions. :) I had 2 eggs in butter with my BP coffee this morning. I'll start incorporating some BP carbs for dinner. (I just saw in the book that around 30g is good.) Both the eggs and adding carbs should increase my caloric intake as well.
    I just had some blood work done yesterday, and will get the results next week. I'm assuming my cholesterol will be pretty high. I'll post when it comes out.
    One more thing I don't understand though... Since I am in Week 3, am I considered on Maintenance (because I already did the 2 Weeks), even though I haven't reached my goal weight?

Thanks again~ :smile:

No problem! Keep up with it. It will take time, and experimentation to get it right.

One quick recommendation to play with (though this will lower your "keto" potential) is to cut out the MCT oil. I have a lot of food sensitivities, and though I was able to tolerate it for awhile, all of a sudden it and any coconut product started worsening my food allergies. Just a thought and something to watch.

Another thing I would advise is to be less afraid to try a variety of foods on the diet. By this I mean mix up your veggies, too. There's a lot of amazing veggies to eat out there. In the protein department, not being able to eat the wonderful grass-fed beef and bacon indicated in the diet can really stifle your variety. The allowed nuts and seeds might make life more interesting for you. Almond butter is something you probably shouldn't be afraid of. Curt, the contestant on "My Diet is Better Than Yours" who followed the Wild Diet was eating it all the time. He was also eating boiled (lower-glycemic index—something I didn't know) sweet potatoes, I'm pretty sure every night. Do you eat organic goat cheese? I'm allergic to everything, too, but that stuff does not bother me at all.

Inserting this in here, also: Sugar, in any form, like fruit (even from grapefruit), and certainly non-homemade, non-Bulletproof chocolate with added sugar, will probably sabotage your efforts to get into ketosis. That's just my thoughts. I only do avocados for "fruit" and I don't even count them as a fruit as indicated you should do by the roadmap. I just eat them when I find them, including lots of guacamole from Chipotle.

To answer your question, here is an article about the Bulletproof concept of "maintenance mode," which seems to be defined here as the time "after you've lost all the weight you want to lose." You are not in Maintenance mode, but you're not losing weight either, so this is something to synthesize and compare with what you want to do to lose weight.

I know it is hard to reprogram yourself that it's okay to do some carbs, because they are very hard to give up, and you did significant mental and physical work to remove them to the degree you have (props to you!) However, I encourage you to try and remove your emotions around them as much as possible, enjoy them while you are eating them, and adjust levels according to your results. Playing with carb amounts does something, of that I'm certain. Keeping track of blood sugar and ketones is definitely a good way of determining what it does. From my understanding, if your blood sugar goes down quickly after a carby meal, which can be determined against charts and charts of data out there, you are now insulin sensitive, rather than resistant. This, of course, is still a spectrum. But as far as I know, the main idea with low-carb is to regain that insulin sensitivity, which will be a tremendous help to you.

I have three articles about weight loss that I wrote during my journey of reorienting my body after weighing upwards of 210 lbs (down to 160 on zero-carb, and then hovering around 175-180 maintenance for the last few years). I don't want to overwhelm you, so read them in your time. If you don't want to overload on information, simply focusing on and playing with the factors of the BP Diet should get you to the same place I got.

But here they are: I believe improving one's body weight is about finding hormonal, metabolic, and (non)toxic balance. Please be sure to see if any of the science here has been updated in the last couple years. It's what I gathered from the main paleo people, Dave Asprey, Robb Wolf, David Asprey, Mark Sisson, and Paul Jaminet, during that time period. This research at the time was always improving it seems, and people may have refined some of it as the years have progressed.

But again, I would rethink your carbs, especially since you are HIITing it. You might want to get some more specific details about tailoring the BP diet for days where you do more intense exercise, like HIIT and/or weights. Yoga is great, but probably does not require dietary shifts to accomodate for the energy expenditure. You don't want to have them cancel one another out, either way, where you're overdoing it with exercise and no carbs, or too much carbs paired with the exercise. They can complement one another nicely.

• One quick recommendation to play with (though this will lower your "keto" potential) is to cut out the MCT oil. I have a lot of food sensitivities, and though I was able to tolerate it for awhile, all of a sudden it and any coconut product started worsening my food allergies. Just a thought and something to watch.

Just wanted to write a quick note. I recently had food allergy tests done. Absolutely no sensitivity to coconut, but wondering if the reaction to the MCT oil would be something different than to coconut? And although I am allergic to cow's milk, I'm totally fine with Goat milk. I make my own goat milk kefir, which I thought about drinking again at some point, but there's 6 g of sugar in 1/2 cup of goat milk! (No sugar is added to make the kefir... its just fermented, like drinkable yogurt.) Twice I nibbled on goat cheese on this diet, but then got nervous. Always paranoid to do something wrong. I read somewhere on the Bulletproof Diet that as long as the chocolate is at least 85% chocolate, its ok to eat. And a lot of people were recommending the Lindt 85%, which is why I bought that one. It had 1g of sugar per serving.
    I just looked it up, and there are 4 g of sugar in a half a grapefruit! That's like a teaspoon of sugar! :o
    I'm always pretty good about mixing up my veggies (lots of experience from being a vegetarian for 28 years!)
    I did a HIIT class today, and followed it up with about 40-45 g carbs, protein and a salad. Do you think I should have carbs every day then or just when I have those more intense workouts? I agree about the yoga. My yoga is usually pretty mild, so I wouldn't think to change my diet at all for that.
    I'll definitely check out your blog. Thanks a bunch!!! :)

• OH! One more thing... I added a couple of tablespoons of Hemp protein powder to my salad. It was high in fiber and protein, so I felt I should add that in (since I can't do the whey or collagen). I know seeds are not the best to eat, but i think it's better than pea protein powder. What do you think?

Absolutely no sensitivity to coconut, but wondering if the reaction to the MCT oil would be something different than to coconut?

Yes, I believe so. It is very antibacterial/antifungal. I also believe it has an effect on the gut lining, but that's just from my own research and my own observation. I think it disrupts the gut just a little too much for comfort. Dave Asprey likes it for its antibacterial qualities, and he's right that stifling bacteria in the gut can help you lose weight. I just personally believe the side effects of this might be bad. What if you eradicate a beneficial population and suddenly cannot digest a certain food (leading to a food allergy)? I don't want to make you paranoid, but for what it's worth, that's what I think.

Twice I nibbled on goat cheese on this diet, but then got nervous. Always paranoid to do something wrong.

You can double check, but I do not think goat cheese is counterindicated. Let me see if it causes an insulin response. Not that I can find.

I read somewhere on the Bulletproof Diet that as long as the chocolate is at least 85% chocolate, its ok to eat. And a lot of people were recommending the Lindt 85%, which is why I bought that one. It had 1g of sugar per serving.

I think it might work for some, but since you're having trouble losing weight, I would personally remove anything with legit sugar.

Do you think I should have carbs every day then or just when I have those more intense workouts? I agree about the yoga. My yoga is usually pretty mild, so I wouldn't think to change my diet at all for that.

I can't say for sure, and I'd hate to sabotage your results, but I think you could do at least 40-45 g of carbs every day with your night meal, and add some after the HIIT workouts on days you do it. Under 50 g for a lady is pretty low. I wouldn't go over 100 on a non-workout day, but experiment:
    -25-50 g on a non-workout day, 50-75 on a workout day
    -50-75 g non-workout, 75-100 g workout
    -75-100 g non-workout, 100-125 g workout

I'll definitely check out your blog. Thanks a bunch!!! :)

Thanks! That's just built into my tagline, so don't think I'm reminding you to check it out every time, hehe.

• I can't say for sure, and I'd hate to sabotage your results, but I think you could do at least 40-45 g of carbs every day with your night meal, and add some after the HIIT workouts on days you do it. Under 50 g for a lady is pretty low. I wouldn't go over 100 on a non-workout day, but experiment:
    -25-50 g on a non-workout day, 50-75 on a workout day
    -50-75 g non-workout, 75-100 g workout
    -75-100 g non-workout, 100-125 g workout

Hi again,
    So I started integrating more carbs into my diet (on average, 50g per day, and a little more if I exercised).
    Within a couple of days, I gained 2 lbs, and (over the past 2 weeks) have stayed at 1.5-2lbs above what I was at before adding in the carbs. I even cut out the fruit and chocolates too! I know I'm not supposed to be looking at calories, but the average is about 1900/2000 per day.

My macros are basically 71% fat, 15% protein and 14% carbs (just because I'm trying to get in minimum 50g per day), but I can't eat much more than what I'm eating already.
    Although I'm a vegetarian, I am so desperate to lose this weight that I decided to start with adding collagen to my coffee. That should "up" my protein considerably (22g protein per serving).

I got my lab results back. Everything was fine, except my cholesterol was 235 (should be under 200), Non-HDL (whatever that is) was 169 (should be under 160) LDL was at 159 (should be under 130), and HDL and Triglycerides were good.

I did notice some atypical digestive stuff within 2 weeks of starting the diet, and thanks to you, I think I realize it was the MCT oil. I normally have a very healthy digestion, but since starting Bulletproof, sometimes I didn't go to the bathroom for 3 days! Now I have it less often.

Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions? Even if I could lose 5 lbs from here, that would really help!