Dealing with Hashimoto's Disease

Has anyone been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease? I was just diagnosed in September and am about to start the AIP diet to see if eliminating some things may help my symptoms. Over the summer, my TPO antibodies were about 340, and my last TSH value was 4.4. T3, T4, reverse T3 are all in normal ranges. My total cholesterol is high as well as my LDL, which I've heard can be from Hashi's. Also, my B12 levels are SUPER high and so are one of my liver enzymes... weird! My endo would like me to at least get my TSH down to 2.5 as I'm hoping to try and get pregnant soon, and started me on 25mcg of levothyroxine. Any advice about diet and lifestyle that may help get my numbers down and get me healthy to sustain a pregnancy? I already eat a paleo-style diet, avoid gluten, dairy, soy, and processed sugar. Bonus points if you've gone through pregnancy with Hashimoto's and have any tips on that! Thank you!

Comments

• Hello: I was diagnosed recently too. My understanding Hashimoto's is an immune system response. My doctor suggested to read this book by Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause Paperback
    by Izabella Wentz PharmD or Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? or My Lab Tests Are Normal: a Revolutionary Breakthrough in Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism - by Dr. Datis Kharrazian (Author). I hope this helps. I am doing processes of eliminating and see what is working for me. Good Luck!

• Oh yes I'm reading Dr. Wentz's book too! Also read her Hashimoto's Protocol book too, which goes into better detail about steps to take. I also got The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne to get some info on the AIP diet, I've heard it can really help with symptoms. Good luck to you as well!

• Hi!

I have several immune disorders (Lupus, Hashimoto's, Celiac disease, RA, and Raynauds). I was on strict AIP for 6 months and then a more medium approach for nearly 3 years. It worked in the beginning, but then I started devloping food allergies and getting sick and gaining weight (mostly due to new inflammation). The woman who founded the AIP diet, now recommends against because it has caused issues like that for a multitude of people. She says if you really want to do it, to do it for no more than 3 weeks and be very mindful of re-entry foods. One of my friends with Hashi's has had great success with BP, which is why I'm here. Another Hashi friend did not, but had great success on the Wahl protocol. She used it to get pregnant as well and had a great pregnancy and delivery. Unfortunately, trial and error seems to be the name of the game as we are all so different. Good luck!

• Thanks for the info! Yes, I've heard the same for doing AIP for extended periods - it's really only meant for short term to determine any food sensitivities. I've already narrowed down a few, so it'll be interesting to see if anything else pops up. I'm just so sick of being stuck in this fog! I did bulletproof for a while a few years ago and shed about 40lbs over 3 years, but the "feel good" part didn't really last. I still eat a mostly paleo-style diet and will probably stick with something similar. I've heard about the Wahl's protocol! I'll have to check out her book as well. It's comforting to know that there are people out there who have had successful pregnancies with Hashi's. Maybe I'm overthinking it... I tend to worry a lot :( But I'm determined to get to the root of all this and feel better, so more trial and error it is!