High calorie intake in order to get enough protein and proper % breakdowns (between macros).

Hi! I am a 29 year old female (and a fairly fit 165lbs) who's been in the BP arena for awhile now. I have recently gotten more serious about keto and would like to drop ~10lbs. I am averaging between 30g and 50g net carbs per day (depending on wkouts, etc). However, I am trying to target about 115g protein (even higher if I can). But I am finding the calories I am consuming a bit outrageous when I target a macro balance of ~60% fat, ~20% carbs and ~25% protein (just approx. - I know the math doesn't add up).

For instance, last week I ate an average of ~3100 calories a day. I lift a bit during the week and do mild cardio, but this seems a bit much? I eat completely clean and averaged ~40g carbs/day, ~260g of fat/day and my protein was at ~110g/day. This is an average breakdown of 10% carbs, 27% protein, and 63% fat. I am happy with these targets/results and have not appeared to gain weight or anything, but I am just curious if anyone has experience with this when trying to target such a high protein range? Or if anyone has any thoughts on whether this is alright? Trust me, I have no problem eating this much :) But it just seems excessive/unnecessary?

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

That’s not high protein, I get my athletes closer to 1g/lb, just up the protein and lower the fat, no way you need that much fat in your diet.

body composition coaching through Eat to Perform
  • Thanks @Jason Miller. This does make sense... but how would you recommend getting that additional protein? More meat (which would include more fat, although I could try to limit the fat in other areas)? I use BP collagen powder and a whey protein everyday, plus bars and such on occasion. But I hate to add anymore non-food sources. Also, any concerns about the calorie counts?

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

Chicken breast and white fish is a great way to add some low fat protein, you could also use eye of round beef as it’s pretty lean. You definitely are not under eating so you could easily afford to cut 20-30g of fat each week until your weight starts trending in the direction you want.

body composition coaching through Eat to Perform