Ideal B-12/folinic Acid Combo

Hello,

I am having trouble deciding on my combination. I was going to get straight up 1mg of Folinic Acid and 1mg of B-12. The problem is Dave has a almost 1:5 ratio and am not sure if that means anything. Looking at Suntoucher's thread, I do see that 5mg of B-12 may be excessive but what do I know!

I was thinking to start small with a good B-Complex but didn't see any recommendations. I do buy a lot of Thorne Research products and they have different variations of the complex's but Idk. I saw Pure brand complex that has a lot of goodies and I could put 1mg of B-12 on top. I'm just not sure of the ratio matters since it will be about 400mcg of Folinic Acid and 1.4mg of B-12.

What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsulations-B-Complex-Plus-VegiCaps/dp/B0017L3BO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360126160&sr=8-1&keywords=pure+B+complex

and

http://www.amazon.com/THORNE-RESEARCH-Methylcobalamin-Health-Beauty/dp/B002BKW1YA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360126216&sr=8-2&keywords=Thorne+research+b12

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

Tagged:

Comments

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    Do note that the B-complex+1mg is just my idea, not Dave's recommendation. 5mg may very well not be excessive.
  • M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
    From the Chris Kresser podcast "Links from the Show" : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F0R78M/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bulletpexecut-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001F0R78M

Excellent podcast, I might add. Going to listen to that one multiple times as it is extremely information dense. Chris Kresser has a killer podcast as well.

If you listen to the podcast Kresser actually states he doesn't recommend people supplement with B-vitamins unless they have a reason to. I would like to hear Dave's take on it.
  • RodRod The Rodfather

Do note that the B-complex+1mg is just my idea, not Dave's recommendation. 5mg may very well not be excessive.

Yea, I know but It makes more sense to slowly add B12 or anything like that then to just start mega doses. I also got some stuff from Iherb using your code so, heads up!

'Mark wrote:

From the Chris Kresser podcast "Links from the Show" : http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B001F0R78M

Excellent podcast, I might add. Going to listen to that one multiple times as it is extremely information dense. Chris Kresser has a killer podcast as well.

If you listen to the podcast Kresser actually states he doesn't recommend people supplement with B-vitamins unless they have a reason to. I would like to hear Dave's take on it.

Thanks Mark!

I actually was wondering that myself but then again, I still think Dave may know something more than them. I mean according to Paul Jiminet, we should be having more carbs, at the very least 200g per day or we become susceptible to pathogens and virus that flourish on ketones. Even Chris Masterjohn thinks we should not cut carbs our completely because the body looses insulin sensitivity by just lack of insulin production. These are all valid points but I think theres a rhyme and reason for Dave's recommendation. Perhaps it's just to cover your base incase your consistently diffident because of malabsorption or something like that but Idk. The only way to know is to take the supplements and then test your levels on a consistent bases to get a good feel of the brand's quality and absorption efficiency. As much as I want a diffinitive answer, I think there are too many variables in play but gradually increasing and documenting/testing may be the best approach.

I bought this one, is there anything wrong with it?

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o06_s00_i00

It doesn't say what kind of B12 or Folinic Acid, type the contents here.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    The best form of folate is 5-MTHF at 400 mg a day. The best form of B12 is Methyl sublingual at 5 mg a day. It is best to take a B Vitamin Complex Thorne Research makes some of the best. Jarrow makes a great B12 sublingual.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• RodRod The Rodfather
    'NDJohn' wrote:

The best form of folate is 5-MTHF at 400 mg a day. The best form of B12 is Methyl sublingual at 5 mg a day. It is best to take a B Vitamin Complex Thorne Research makes some of the best. Jarrow makes a great B12 sublingual.

There are many Thorne B complexes...which one is ideal?

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    'Rod' wrote:
    I actually was wondering that myself but then again, I still think Dave may know something more than them. I mean according to Paul Jiminet, we should be having more carbs, at the very least 200g per day or we become susceptible to pathogens and virus that flourish on ketones. Even Chris Masterjohn thinks we should not cut carbs our completely because the body looses insulin sensitivity by just lack of insulin production. These are all valid points but I think theres a rhyme and reason for Dave's recommendation. Perhaps it's just to cover your base incase your consistently diffident because of malabsorption or something like that but Idk. The only way to know is to take the supplements and then test your levels on a consistent bases to get a good feel of the brand's quality and absorption efficiency. As much as I want a diffinitive answer, I think there are too many variables in play but gradually increasing and documenting/testing may be the best approach.
    Yeah, but I don't think Dave stays in strict dietary ketosis all the time. He shoots for staying under 100g of carbs per day, which is very light ketosis at best. But he probably takes a ton of MCT oil, which ensures ketone supply. If you are healthy and at your body comp goals, then ratios become less important, imo.

It would be neat if DA clarified on B vitamins. Seems like if you do one round of B12 at 5mg, then just take a B-complex (say the Basic version from Jarrow), you'll be good to go. Reasoning being: fix the deficiency (if there was one), then just maintenance. I think that's what I'll be doing when I run out.

But the correct answer is obviously... testing.
  • RodRod The Rodfather

Can someone post links to the two that they recommend to take, I get confused on which ones are best, seems like so many options

I feel your pain brother! I will tell you when I decide what I am taking and maybe you can try it too ok? Don't worry so much about it my friend, we will figure it out.

Yeah, but I don't think Dave stays in strict dietary ketosis all the time. He shoots for staying under 100g of carbs per day, which is very light ketosis at best. But he probably takes a ton of MCT oil, which ensures ketone supply. If you are healthy and at your body comp goals, then ratios become less important, imo.

It would be neat if DA clarified on B vitamins. Seems like if you do one round of B12 at 5mg, then just take a B-complex (say the Basic version from Jarrow), you'll be good to go. Reasoning being: fix the deficiency (if there was one), then just maintenance. I think that's what I'll be doing when I run out.

But the correct answer is obviously... testing.

Yea, I'm totally with you. The thing about me is I'm already at 7.6 body fat, I know how to loose more fat if I wanted but I'm cool where I'm at. No need to emphasis on weight loss but more physical performance. I'm not sure if Dave was just recommending people to keep a high intake of B12 or just correct the problem (deficiency). I think he would have said otherwise if it was just to correct a problem. I know Jason Hopper is taking the 5mg straight up and will get tested. At that point, is it like D levels? get them high and keep them there? I is that the point with all the supplementation other than we are deficient? I don't even know what levels they should be at. Shoot, idk lol lots of stuff here to think about, but, one step at a time. I need to do a test!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file