Bulletproof Collagen Protein

Hello and a warm Aloha from Maui,

I am a newbie to both this website and Bulletproof products. I’ve searched thoroughly looking for comments pertaining to the CA Prop 65 Warning on this one product- Collagen Protein.

I’ve read all the comments regarding the coffee including the response from the manufacturer that they are compiling a list of items found in each of their products. I should live so long.

If anyone here can tell me what ingredient is found in this product so that I can make an informed decision for myself I would greatly appreciate it. That way I can open this bag or return it.

Respectfully,
Rawkluvah

Comments

• Hello / Aloha Rawkluvah,

I have been wondering the same for awhile now and also have not found any helpful or definitive information online. I tried searching this site: https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/chemicals

I searched every amino acid and ingredient listed on the tub (packaging) on the site above. The closest search result was azaserine: a derivative of serine (one of the amino acids listed on the ingredients listing.) I don't know if it's related nor the cause for the Prop 65 warning, though.

I have been using this collagen protein in my bulletproof coffee for over two years and love it, but I'm concerned about the warning, as well. If I find any helpful info, I'll be sure to post, but I'm going to try a different, multi collagen protein in the meantime... at least until Dave Asprey or someone at Bulletproof 360, Inc. in the know educates us about this.

• edited August 31

Also found this helpful article:

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20180308/collagen-supplements-what-the-research-shows

Specifically this:

All that said, doctors have their concerns.

“I think the elephant in the room here is safety,” says Moyad. “We are talking about ground-up fish, chicken, pig, and cow parts, and these parts tend to act as sponges for contaminants and heavy metals.”

While little evidence exists yet to suggest that collagen supplements could lead to heavy metal contamination, several collagen supplement companies -- aware of these concerns -- have begun to advertise how they test for heavy metals and keep them to a minimum.

“At the time of manufacture, heavy metal testing is done and the product is approved for human consumption once it passes all testing,” says a page on the Great Lakes Gelatin site. The company says its limits for arsenic are below the standards set by government agencies.

Heavy metals. :#

They also provided this:

Look for companies that get their bones and tissues from cage-free, free-range, and antibiotic-free sources.

“It might help, and it probably won’t harm, unless you are not being diligent about quality control,” says Moyad.

Look for a trusted brand with a third-party label, like NSF or USP.