Installing Blackout Curtains/ "felt Fabric" Like Mentioned On Podcast

I remember hearing on one of the podcasts, i think it was Army (sorry if that's not how name is spelled or name is even wrong, its how my ears hear it) mention that he installed blackout curtains in his room, i think he mentioned that he put felt over his windows or something? I installed some standard issue black out curtains in my room which definitely helped but definitely doesn't make my room anywhere near a room with no windows like i've slept in the past. Was wondering if Army or anyone else familiar with what he did can explain how they made their room as dark as possible. Thanks

Comments

• You know what works great to blackout windows? Aluminum foil. Haven't tried fabric yet but my ex used to travel a lot and he always blacked out the windows to make sure he could sleep properly when he got back.
  • RodRod The Rodfather

I remember hearing on one of the podcasts, i think it was Army (sorry if that's not how name is spelled or name is even wrong, its how my ears hear it) mention that he installed blackout curtains in his room, i think he mentioned that he put felt over his windows or something? I installed some standard issue black out curtains in my room which definitely helped but definitely doesn't make my room anywhere near a room with no windows like i've slept in the past. Was wondering if Army or anyone else familiar with what he did can explain how they made their room as dark as possible. Thanks

Please post a pic or something because you may not have in installed right. You need to overlap all four side of the window so the light doesn't leak.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• What about just getting those velvety black eye-cover things that Hollywood starlets used to wear?
  • katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I might try the foil, been thinking about blackout curtains for a while. But curtain shopping isn't one of my past times ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013

Just got some foil and blacked out my bedroom windows with foil and gaffer tape. Can still open the windows and you can't really see the foil through the blinds. Haven't slept in the room yet, but it's fully blacked-out now. Looking forward to trying it out.

Although I'm worried that with my windows now showing foil from the outside, I'm worried by Neighbours might think I'm growing weed or something else not too legal :wink:

Blackout_window.jpg

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Had a few night with the new 'Blacked Out' room. Also blacked out anything electoral that was leaking light into the room. It's not pretty much completely blacked out.

It's weird lying in bed, closing your eyes, then opening them and seeing no change. As for sleeping, feel like I'm sleeping deeper and waking less during the night. Haven't looked at my Sleep Cycle data properly yet, but feel like it's make quite a difference to my already good quality of sleep. Will really pay off as the summer reaches the UK. 

Well recommended and wish I'd done it years ago.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Ok, loving my blacked out room, but.....

We've finally got summer in London and it's hot and muggy. No air-con (no worth it for a few weeks a year).

So anyone have any ideas on how to keep a blacked out room and cool it down. If I open the windows to light that comes in is amazing after getting used to complete darkness.

Any tricks for cooling a room and keeping all the windows and doors shut?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Cheapest option would be a plug-in fan.  If it's muggy and humid, you may be better off buying a cheap dehumidifier which will subsequently provide some cooling.

• edited July 2013

"Although I'm worried that with my windows now showing foil from the outside, I'm worried by Neighbours might think I'm growing weed or something else not too legal :wink:"

I wouldn't worry about it. So many people work night shifts (or have in their pasts), I doubt anyone would bat an eye at your foil-covered windows.

My apartment complex won't allow us to have anything between the blinds and the glass (not even the vinyl window-cling decoration things), so I'm probably gonna look into felt... and a LOT of it, since my room has such a big window.

• JustsoJustso
    edited July 2013

Installing thermal blackout curtains was the single smartest move I've made since living on my own all these years. The sleep quality was markedly improved and the heating/cooling bill dropped impressively. They're not cheap, but they're so worth it. I guarantee once you install them, you'll immediately wonder how you lived without them.

Check out amazon for the curtains, or overstock.com. You can get them at reasonable prices. I'd recommend you buy the hardware locally.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

luckily it's cooled a little here, so not quite so sweat. Gonna try the air purifier I've got and see if that makes a difference as humidity is more of the issue and I don't think a fan will help, as it would actual increase the heat in the room.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter