More Energy For Biking In The Morning?

I've been following the BP diet and IF for about a month now and over all am starting to feel really good! However, I do not own a car and I ride a few miles every morning and evening to get to and from work. It seems that I can't ride as intensely than I used to. My muscles feel fatigued quicker and I feel an over all body "heaviness".

Any suggestions on what I can do to modify the diet or fasting in order to remedy this?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

-Aristotle

Comments

• TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka
    If you are only a month in your body might not be completely adapted to burning fat as a primary energy source? Do you use MCT oil in your coffee? MCT is key for this situation. I just don't think you want to add a bunch of carbs to your morning routine for only a bike ride to work. You are definitely going to have to play around with this...Maybe a shake with some BCAA?

If you are going to eat carbs I would definitely do it once you get to work after the bike ride and not before.I'm thinking like one medium avocado. I'm reading paleo for athletes now. Just some thoughts.
  • M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
    edited February 2013
    Try 5-10 g of BCAAs before your bike ride. You will feel great as this gives you energy. Your insulin levels will go up a little but it won't do much to perturb your fasted state. This is what Martin Berkhan recommends before fasted training and hes probably the go to guy for all things IF.
  • i've noticed this a little bit and have little doubt it's being too-low carb. i'm very sold on low/no carb in general, but after several weeks i'm noticing it has that effect on me (yesterday i went for 3mi run, was home after 1mi of medium-pace because i was sure it was too much work for what i wanted to do; this is scary for me, as a 3mi last night was a 'light' workout and i felt spent 1/3way through - this isn't training-lag or anything, i'm on a reasonably-strict, written/graphed protocol that i've been on for almost 20wks, so this isn't me trying new training or anything it's my normal work..)

it's weird, because i swear i feel more energetic when not training; i'm sleeping better - hell, i notice i SMELL better (like, smlel food - not BO or anything lol)

to anyone espousing the "body needs to adapt to fat burning", could you please give something a little less vague than that? you mean ketosis, right? how long on a strict bp/IF diet can this adaption really be an issue? if you break ketosis routinely like 2X/daily, and are almost volleying back/forth, could that be a problem in and of itself?
    'Mark wrote:

Try 5-10 g of BCAAs before your bike ride. You will feel great as this gives you energy. Your insulin levels will go up a little but it won't do much to perturb your fasted state. This is what Martin Berkhan recommends before fasted training and hes probably the go to guy for all things IF.

I've been doing the lean gains protocol with the small amount of bcaa preworkout to stay in fasted state on lifting days. Getting serious results. Today I'm going with a group on a 8-10 mile cross country ski. It doesn't quite raise the heart rate like cycling but it is tough terrain and probably depletes glycogen a lot. I'm not IF fasting today but not really eating that many carbs. Under 30g from berries. MCT gives me like a second grinding gear of energy and power.
  • oh and to the OP - i hope the bike's tuned and tires pumped etc, otherwise you're looking for problems that aren't dietary.
  • oh and to the OP - i hope the bike's tuned and tires pumped etc, otherwise you're looking for problems that aren't dietary.
    edited February 2013

i've noticed this a little bit and have little doubt it's being too-low carb. i'm very sold on low/no carb in general, but after several weeks i'm noticing it has that effect on me (yesterday i went for 3mi run, was home after 1mi of medium-pace because i was sure it was too much work for what i wanted to do; this is scary for me, as a 3mi last night was a 'light' workout and i felt spent 1/3way through - this isn't training-lag or anything, i'm on a reasonably-strict, written/graphed protocol that i've been on for almost 20wks, so this isn't me trying new training or anything it's my normal work..)

it's weird, because i swear i feel more energetic when not training; i'm sleeping better - hell, i notice i SMELL better (like, smlel food - not BO or anything lol)

to anyone espousing the "body needs to adapt to fat burning", could you please give something a little less vague than that? you mean ketosis, right? how long on a strict bp/IF diet can this adaption really be an issue? if you break ketosis routinely like 2X/daily, and are almost volleying back/forth, could that be a problem in and of itself?

Sorry that is vague. For me I occasionally test my ketosis with the piss sticks. I keep track of it and write how I feel in reference to how many pre and post carbs I've been eating. It's probably different for everyone and dependent on the type of exercise. Also for me taking 3 tblspn of MCT in the morning used to give me stomach cramps...I consider myself adapted to it now because I can do this and feel nourished and energized from it.

If you are doing 3 mile runs though I definitely wouldn't do no carb.
  • Thanks for the feedback guys! I will try BCAAs first, and then maybe a bit more carb loading. And YES, I tune my bike all of the time. It is my only mode of transport. It is a single speed though haha not the most fun on hills, but works you like no other! I also work in a warehouse lifting heavy stuff all day. My goal is to become way more productive in my life, in order to get out of this type of work and upgrade my whole purpose! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

-Aristotle