Daily Nutritional Targets

I am starting to use http://www.myfitnesspal.com to track what I eat (Thanks to another forum member to mentioned it).

It has a Goal settings page that lets you configure the goals you are after. I need help with the settings, in order to lose weight. This is how the screen looks like:

DAILY NUTRITIONAL GOALS TARGETS

Net Calories Consumed* 1500 calories

Carbohydrates 25% 94g

Protein 20% 75g

Fat 55% 92g

Saturated Fat 13.0 g

Polyunsaturated Fat ? g

Monounsaturated Fat ? g

Trans Fat ? g

Cholesterol 300 mg

Sodium 2500 mg

Potassium 3500 mg

Fiber 13.8 g

Sugars 24.0 g

Vitamin A 100 %DV

Vitamin C 100 %DV

Calcium 100 %DV

Iron 100 %DV

What would be the 'right' values to add here?

From Dave's comments in the diet page, I saw this:

Target 50-60% of calories from healthy fats (this is easy and tastes good), 20% from protein, and the rest from vegetables.

I am guessing all fat should be saturated, correct?

What about the other metrics, like Cholesterol, Sodium, Potassium, Fiber?

I assume sugars should be very low, not sure how much.

Suggestions? Ideas?

I'd love to see 'recommended baseline' scenarios broken out like this for people that want to lose fat and for those that want to maintain weight. That would be very cool, and I could not find that on the site.

Comments

• I'm sure it takes into account your activity level also? I would say that it is better to not be overly prescriptive in terms of nutritional ratios, except for the fat. The fat is very important. No, it does not need to be all saturated. It needs to be the right fats. Grass fed butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, avocados, avocado oil, real coconut (shredded, raw), cocoa butter, olive oil (NOT italian-it can be canola oil in disguise), avocado oil.. just stay in the green zone for the fats that Dave says are good. By no means does it all need to be saturated. Saturated fat from good sources should be increased, but fats from avocado and nice olives and some raw nuts are also great for you. Avocados are nutritional powerhouses. Lots of fat soluble vitamins and antioxidants.

Some schools of thought are that paleo is more a 'listening to your body' process, than a prescribing process. Check out Paleo for women and also Paleo Pepper. She writes good stuff for women. Paleo is a different experience for women, as our endocrinology is very different, as well as how our bodies react to macronutrients. Not going too low on carbs is good, but not too high either. Going lower than 50g/day is not the best idea. That said, try what you please, but its a good idea to stop along the way and think about how you feel each day.

If you think you should start with the prescriptive nature of myfitnesspal, and just stick with paleo foods, you may still have to tweak it. The generator is not personalized to you.

It's always worth experimenting. There's a lot of experimenting during the process of a paleo adaptation.

kittyk
  • PS, 24g of sugar looks a little high.

if Fat is 94g then perhaps 40-60g saturated, the rest mostly monounsat, and not too much poly, unless omega three of course. One of the big goals is the get the O6 polyunsat fats down. Myfitnesspal will most likely work off similar nutritional guidelines to that which were developed in the 60's after the american government took Ancel Keys' '5 countries study' at face value, if you tell it you want more fat, it will tell you to avoid saturated. Which is plain wrong, IF you are having good saturated fat from good sources. Mind you, it is arguable that it is far better to have any saturated fat, as opposed to rice bran or soybean oil used for deep frying things.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    There's not much value in setting such minute goals, particularly for micronutrients - you'll never be able to control them. Varying your food is important for a variety of reasons.

Your macro ratios look fine. Your fat intake will vary, depending on what you use more during the day... more olive oil = more mono, for example. Not that important.

As kitty mentioned, keeping PUFAs low is a very good idea, but it'll happen just by doing proper BP food choices.

'kitty' wrote:

PS, 24g of sugar looks a little high.
    Might be from fruit.
  • 'kitty' wrote:

If you think you should start with the prescriptive nature of myfitnesspal, and just stick with paleo foods, you may still have to tweak it. The generator is not personalized to you.

It's always worth experimenting. There's a lot of experimenting during the process of a paleo adaptation.

Thanks kittyk.

Yes, I am personalizing the generator, which is why I ask these questions... I can target some stuff and try to ignore the others.

Like most apps out there, this one also focuses on counting calories. for example, after logging yesterday's food, the app congratulated me and told me I will be at 158.3 in 5 weeks. I had started with 160.2 that morning. Well, eating paleo/bpc I already went down to 159.8 so I will probably get to that 5-week goal next week.

You are 100% correct about experimentation... I am paying more attention to small changes that happen when I tweak something, but I am still in my first month and I understand there are too many variables that I need to control first. Working on detox as well (charcoal, glutathione), I know too many things are changing at the same time.
    'kitty' wrote:

if Fat is 94g then perhaps 40-60g saturated, the rest mostly monounsat, and not too much poly, unless omega three of course. One of the big goals is the get the O6 polyunsat fats down.

Yes, that is the default of sugar, and as I am working on losing fat, I am probably way lower than that (no fruits, only carbs from veggies) but as I was not measuring it in any way, I had to start with the app's baseline.

'kitty' wrote:
    Myfitnesspal will most likely work off similar nutritional guidelines to that which were developed in the 60's after the american government took Ancel Keys' '5 countries study' at face value, if you tell it you want more fat, it will tell you to avoid saturated. Which is plain wrong, IF you are having good saturated fat from good sources. Mind you, it is arguable that it is far better to have any saturated fat, as opposed to rice bran or soybean oil used for deep frying things.

Agree with you as well. I ignore their messages, I only use it to track my goals. The reason I like it is because it has a huge database of food with their cals, fat, etc etc so that makes the tracking better. Will see if I benefit from using it, will continue for a couple of weeks to see what value I get from it.

There's not much value in setting such minute goals, particularly for micronutrients - you'll never be able to control them. Varying your food is important for a variety of reasons.

Great points. Like I said, I am trying to track and measure what I can, so I can control the important stuff later.

Your macro ratios look fine. Your fat intake will vary, depending on what you use more during the day... more olive oil = more mono, for example. Not that important.

To be honest, fat is a virgin territory to me, so I am still learning the difference between each of the types. I am going for avocado almost daily, and MCT and butter are now staples of my daily routine. Honestly, not sure which one is what, I just know these fats are good. I will have to incorporate more nuts, cause I am not doing that part yet. Bought some pistachios but rarely eat them.

As kitty mentioned, keeping PUFAs low is a very good idea, but it'll happen just by doing proper BP food choices.

Good to know.

'kitty' wrote:

Might be from fruit.

Yeah, that was the app's target, I am definitely going for way less, not sure what number to use as baseline though. Suggestions?

Thank you both for your input. I will continue learning, for sure.