Help with Paleo

Hi Everyone. New to the forum. I never sign up to forums, I usually just lurk but I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on with me.

Ive tried Paleo several times over the last few years. I find that everytime the same things happen.

Once I get past the first few weeks the cravings die down and I'm starting to feel great. I start losing weight and generally feel more balanced and less edgy.

After a month or two I hit a point where I begin to feel a little tired and a little depressed. At that point I feel a little worse every single day until I finally can't take it anymore and give up. It's like my body is not receiving one key thing and I can feel myself slowly depleting whatever reserves I've had of it initially. This would explain why I feel so good at first by getting rid of the junk and then worse and that key thing finally depletes.

Right now I'm at that point. I'm eating lots of healthy fats, (if anything, too much), proteins and fruits though I am lacking veggies to some extant. Other times trying this paleo diet I was heavier on the veggies and still had this happen.

Is it possible that I just have to have something like rice in my diet to be happy? I eat lots of fruit but strangely enough that never seems to cause weight gain or make me happy/sad. It's almost like so long as everything else is paleo my body doesn't see fruits as "real" carbs. I drop weight like crazy whether eating fruits or not.

Is it possible simply incorporating some type of healthy starchy carbs could bring me back to feeling happy? I'm struggling here and really hope someone has gone through this and perhaps has the answer.

Thanks in advance. -Josh

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

White rice is fine, in my view @JoshG1981

Here's the Dave Asprey view (in 2012);
    "... I recommend you eat a moderate amount of starch, about 100-150 g, every 3 to 7 days." ...
    "I also stand with Paul Jaminet when it comes to safe starches, namely sweet potatoes and white rice."
    https://blog.bulletproof.com/the-bulletproof-perspective-on-safe-starches/

And the Paul Jaminet view, start here;
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/
    "We recommend:
    About 3 pounds [1.4 kg] of plant foods per day, including:
    About 1 pound [0.45 kg] of safe starches, such as white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and taro;
    About 1 pound [0.45 kg] of sugary in-ground vegetables (such as beets or carrots), fruits, and berries;
    Low-calorie vegetables to taste, including fermented vegetables and green leafy vegetables."

fake it till you make it

• Ty for your response. I've added more carbs. The downward trend in my mood/energy took about 3 weeks so hopefully it doesn't take that long to go back up.