Bulletproofing The Athlete- A Fully Customizable Template For Tracking And Changing Food Intake Base

Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
edited April 2015 in Athletic Performance

Premise: One of the common traits among high level performing athletes is the recording and adjusting of food intake to facilitate current and changing goals in training and output.

What this is:

- A formula and template that is infinitely adjustable to suit whatever phase of training or performance goals you have.

- It is about consistency, and monitoring for ease and simplicity of adjustment.

- It is based on current bodyweight, body fat, and level of training frequency

- It is a modification and bulletproof version of the Zone portioning system which will allow Bulletproof foods, intermittent fasting, cyclical ketotis etc.

What this is not:

- undocumented, unmonitored free feeding

- calorie restriction (unless chosen)

First we wil be determining a baseline, afterwhich we will get into the modifications to suit Bulletproof and other variations possible. One of the great aspects of Zone is the "block" format which puts macronutrients into small managable numbers which can be changed and then converted to food measurements.

Determining baseline (with examples):Formula: [(bodyweight - bodyfat) x training level] / 7 = protein block requirement/day. (don't worry, blocks will be explaned) :)

Example:
Step 1: bodyweight - 185lbs
Step 2: body fat - 12% or 22lbs
Step 3: 185 - 22 = 163lbs (lean body weight)
Step 4: training level: choose closest match - not active days 0.8, active days .9 to 1.4 (goal based), Example choice is 0.8
Step 5: 163lbs x 0.8 = 130
Step 6: 130 / 7 = 18.62 (choose 18 or 19)
Solution: 19 protein blocks

For the other two (carbs, fat) we just use the same number: Example: 19 protein, 19 carb, 19 fat

What is a block?

- 7 grams of protein is one block protein.

- 9 grams of carb is one block carb.

- 1.5 grams of fat is one fat block.

Example: 19 x 7 = 133g protein, 19 x 9 = 171g carb, 19 x 1.5 = 28.5g fat. WTF!? I know, that's why i changed it.

Now the fun part begins!

- Obviously these ratios are not Bulletproof, this is where the formula mods come in to play.

NOTE: !!! MCT oil is ignored from your fat totals because of it's effect on the body, use as needed if you want more fat intake ouside of your chosen mod.

How to modify the block formula, overview:

- Protein blocks do not change unless you change your baseline.
- for every 1 block of carb removed, add 4 fat blocks
- thats it! you can now adjust your baseline freely using these two rules and stay within the parameters of your personal assignment.

IMPORTANT NOTE: your baseline calculation is exactly that, NEVER eat less than it, feel free to increase your baseline block prescription if deemed appropriate, examples shown for growing are below.

Here are some ideas : only ideas to spur creativity and show how to use the mod template, and remember MCT doesn't count.

Cyclical keto:(weight loss) Caution, this only and example and should not be done long term when training, you will crash.

- If we want to lower the carbs to 50 or less/day, in our Example:(19p, 19c, 19f), lowered to keto carb- (19p, 5c, 19f), every carb taken we add 4 fat (19p, 5c, 75f), see how we did that? I took away 14 carb blocks so I added 56 fat blocks (14x4).

- Refeed days are around 150g carb so figure out the blocks for 150g carb (150 / 9= 16), so (19p, 19c, 19f) becomes (19p, 16c, 19f), now do the fat change (19p,16c, 31f), personally I like to leave the fat unchanged, it doesn't seem to be an issue, so eg.(19p,16c,75f)

Non cyclical low carb:(weight loss) Caution, this is only an example, you may still need refeeds at a 10c setting depending on male/female and size.

- lower carbs to 90g carb (19p, 10c, 19f), calculate the fat (19p, 10c, 55f), adjust carbs up or down based on test/retest.

Lean muscle gain: (weight increase)

- if you have stopped gaining muscle tissue at your baseline here we will increase our baseline to get more protein (eat like the weight we want to be), Example: training days 23p, 23c, 23f becomes something like 30p, 30c, 30f, now using an adjust/test/adjust/retest, lower the carb intake until you reach the point of no bodyfat gain, and remember to do the fat formula rule. Example: 30p, 10c, 120f.

Overall weight gain: This one is tricky, it will not feel as good and will increase inflammation, good for a general bulk up for throwing around heavy weight.

- from baseline just 4x fat and test Example: 19p, 19c, 75f

- if no weight gain, increase baseline and repeat Example: 23p, 23c, 92f, keep increasing at 1-2 week intervals until something happens.

- if weight gain is too fast, lower carbs only Example: 23p, 15c, 92f
- caution, this should only be done on a short term basis ie. 10-20lbs then taper off.

You can just go free form and do whatever you want or adjust for your favorite macro %'s for those attracted to the Bulletproof free feeding premise, the idea is only to find a spot, record it, test it. I feel that Bulletproof is about measurable, repeatable testing. You can not know where you are going if you don't know where you've been.

I need guinea pigs, so try it out, share your mods, results, and questions.

Calculating post workout nutrition

Different types of training sessions will require different treatments of post workout nutrition. For a moment I will be speaking of how to address this excluding things like yoga, steady state aerobic zone cardio etc which may or may not require such attention. Using this formula will take trial, eventually you will understand your body and it's reaction/requirement to various levels of input, and be able to judge exactly what you will need to do when faced with any amount of stimuli.

The formula: First,calculate your lean body mass (body weight - body fat), then for protein, use 0.1g to 0.18g per pound of lean body mass, for carbohydrate, use 0.18g to 0.36g per pound of lean body mass. Then with those numbers, round it to the nearest block.

Example:

- Training: very hard, heavy, and long (left nothing behind)

- Choice: 0.18/lb protein, 0.36/lb carb

- Calculation: lean body weight 150lbs x 0.18 = 27g protein, 150lbs x 0.36 = 54g carb

- Block conversion: 27g divided by 7g (1 block) for protein = 4 blocks protein, 54g divided by 9g (1 block) for carbs = 6 blocks carb

- post workout conclusion: 4 blocks protein, 6 blocks carb

Tips, tricks, suggestions:

Usually you want quick nutrition post workout, there's no point dragging out recovery, which leads to the result of liquid nutrition to be the most effective form, and usually the last thing you feel like doing right after a hard workout is to sit down to a plate of food. Probably the best bulletproof choice for dealing with this is coconut water, it is 60% glucose, 25% sucrose and 15% fructose and has ample amounts of electrolytes and minerals like potassium and magnesium, you could also use mashed sweet potato which dissolves easily in a shaker cup, and protein powder for the protein, MCT is excellent to add as well to maintain nutritional ketosis in the face of carb ingestion. How to test how much to use is fun, if your workouts are generally the same in form, function and intensity, do a workout using whatever you have been doing ie protein and no carbs etc, and record how you feel at the 30min, 60min 120min, 240min marks, if you feel wasted or tired or affected especially at the 240min mark then you need help. You can start at the low end of the spectrum and repeat the test, there should be an improvement, you can then go a little higher or to the max and retest. When you find the right setting, when the 120min and 240min marks arrive, you should hopefully feel like the workout was not performed or at least completely recovered and clear headed. If you stay there and notice any fat gain, slowely dial back until you find your sweet spot (unless bulking). I have tested this with morning training and evening training and there have been no adverse reactions, only a renewed zest and excitement towards the next workout.

Macronutrient Timing:

- Eat protein at every meal, evenly distributed throughout the day to supply a constant amino acid availability, reducing cortisol and catabolism as much as possible.

- Eat all daily carbohydrates around training and within 6hrs after training to take advantage of the increased insulin sensitivity from training, to recover from training, and replenish glycogen stores for next time.

- Eat fat away from training times, and the protein/carbs eaten pre or post as to not slow the digestion and absorption of these nutrients.  

- On rest days, all macros can be distributed evenly or as seen fit.

- If training first thing in the morning, have up to half of your carbs the evening before and the rest intra/post workout.

Sample 1 block equivalents for green zone Bulletproof foods:

Use this list instead of simply converting your blocks back to grams or calories, it will be less food if you do that.

Proteins

animal meat cooked - 28g

fish cooked- 42g or follow label

egg - 1 egg is 1 block protein and 3 blocks fat

protein powder - follow label (7g protein = 1 block)

collagen - follow label (7g protein = 1 block)

Fats

MCT - 1.5ml

ghee - 1.5g

egg - 1 egg is 1 block protein and 3 blocks fat

coconut oil 1.5g

avocado - 10g

avocado oil - 1.5ml

butter - 2g

olives - 10g

almonds - 3g

cashews - 3.5g

hazelnuts - 2.5g

macadamia - 2g

pecans - 2g

cocoa powder - 10g

cocoa butter - 1.5g

Carbs (fiber included)

cilantro - 200g

bok choy cooked - 450g

brussels sprouts cooked - 120g

fennel - 130g

celery - 300g

asparagus cooked - 225g

broccoli cooked - 120g

broccoli - 136g

cauliflower - 200g

cucumber - 225g

kale cooked - 225g

collards cooked - 190g

spinach cooked - 225g

spinach - 255g

cabbage cooked - 225g

Radish - 230g

zucchini - 300g

lettuce - 300g

sweet potato peeled cooked - 50g

Potato starch - 10g

carrots - 100g

carrots cooked - 112g

pumpkin cooked - 185g

butternut squash cooked - 90g

long grain white rice cooked - 30g

taro - 26g

cassava - 23g

plantain cooked - 30g

Plantain flour - 13g

blackberry - 86g

lemon - 95g

lime - 86g

raspberry - 75g

strawberry - 115g

pineapple - 67g

tangerine - 67g

dextrose - 9g

A word on healthy changes to body composition:

- If you establish a maintenance level food intake, that can be kept with no issues.

- If you are wanting to lose weight, it is optimal to do this only in 3 month periods before stopping, this to counter the typical endless cut that people fall into, also to minimize muscle loss, and to keep metabolism from declining in an attempt to reach homeostasis.

- If you are wanting to gain weight, it is optimal to do this only in 3 month periods (or 15lbs) at a time before stopping, this is due to muscle being much harder to gain than fat so continuing to add weight will eventually change to mostly fat.

- Gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously is rarely possible and is effectively taking away your most valuable tool for doing either to the best of you ability, ie. to gain the most muscle possible requires actions that directly violate the actions of losing fat, and to lose the most fat possible requires actions that directly violate the actions of building muscle.

Comments

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
    Hey this is awesome and just what a friend of mine has been looking for. I will show it to him and see if hes willing to provide some feedback.
  • Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    Can this be for the twice a week crossfit person? Do i change my intake on the days i rest?
  • Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    'Judo' wrote:

Can this be for the twice a week crossfit person? Do i change my intake on the days i rest?

Refer to step 4 in determining your baseline, 0.6- not active, 0.7- 3 days/week, so choose 0.65 or 0.7, it won't change the final result much, it's just an expression of needing more protein as your demand increases.

No you don't adjust for days off, it could be an experiment though. I feel you still need to maintain protein levels for repair.
  • TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka
    Do you include coconut oil when determining your fat block or is this too close to MCT oil?
    'Troy wrote:

Do you include coconut oil when determining your fat block or is this too close to MCT oil?

I count coconut oil, to me MCT is a energy supplement, sort of like fish oil is an omega supplement.
    edited February 2013
    Do you think mixing a 1 hour post-workout whey shake with coconut milk is a bad idea? (9g fat total)
    'Troy wrote:

Do you think mixing a 1 hour post-workout whey shake with coconut milk is a bad idea? (9g fat total)

If you mean 1 hour after your post workout drink, then no it's not a bad idea. I really hope you don't mean waiting an hour after your workout to have a drink, but I doubt it from reading your other posts. Would this guess be right: you are thinking high glycemic carbs right after, then an hour later, have the protein/coconut milk? If so, please at least have bcaa's, glutamine, creatine with the carbs, I think the timing is just as critical as the carb.
    'Jason wrote:

If you mean 1 hour after your post workout drink, then no it's not a bad idea. I really hope you don't mean waiting an hour after your workout to have a drink, but I doubt it from reading your other posts. Would this guess be right: you are thinking high glycemic carbs right after, then an hour later, have the protein/coconut milk? If so, please at least have bcaa's, glutamine, creatine with the carbs, I think the timing is just as critical as the carb.

ok...yea. I didn't make that clear. After lifting today I had 20g carbs from yams, creatine, glutamine, grassfedwhey in water...I'm working with a budget right now and have a lot of whey, so I was going to have another protein shake today and was going to mix with coconut milk.

Since I started coming to this forum I've gained crazy strength. I'm pumping up 85lb dumbbells chest presses...been adding 5lb a week, looking shredded, and the creatine seems to have a cognitive boost. The timing does seem to be a very important factor in keeping my carbs low.
    Sounds good then.
  • Do you think I could except bf loss doing the lean muscle gain or should I go for the weight loss one? I'm at 18% bf 3 days active.
    'NASH' wrote:

Do you think I could except bf loss doing the lean muscle gain or should I go for the weight loss one? I'm at 18% bf 3 days active.

I would start with baseline modified to cyclical keto to begin the test and until bodyfat drops to a desired level. if you start to lose strength, increase BCAA"s or 2 carb blocks. Once happy with bodyfat, try some other mods. Caution: the first one can be used as contest prep for certain people, watch for too rapid loss. Thats the whole reason for measuring and testing, everyone is different and with practice can find their personal markers.

Personally, at 5'6" I had to increase by baseline to get to 185lbs and I play with the carb blocks to control fat gain.
  • Ok then. Here is what I'm having today(see link). Not set in stone for dinner yet but will probably have about 20g of protein shake after workout tonight in addition to what's on the plan. Cut the carbs a bit then? Maybe no rice tonight? Was planning on it for after workoutness.

I came out to be 14 on the chart. Too much fat?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/NASHTECH
    'NASH' wrote:

Ok then. Here is what I'm having today(see link). Not set in stone for dinner yet but will probably have about 20g of protein shake after workout tonight in addition to what's on the plan. Cut the carbs a bit then? Maybe no rice tonight? Was planning on it for after workoutness.

I came out to be 14 on the chart. Too much fat?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/NASHTECH

It's the chocolate bar, if you switch to Lindt 90% you'll be eating way less carbs and you'd probably be able to add more post workout rice. protein looks good except its chicken (chicken fat is fucked, so switch to breast if you can't afford gf beef). Fat does look high but if you are getting results just write it down and stick to it until you need a change. If its not working, switch to MCT if you can or drop the chocolate bar, try 120g/day if you cant use mct, make small adjustments, record the results and retest, who knows, you may need more!, you want to avoid food cravings or energy crashes.
  • Cool I'll try to find the Lindt. I eat chicken maybe once or twice a week and always get the leanest I can get. Otherwise I eat gf beef and some pork. I think I need to switch to MCT either way. This last bit of body fat is being really stubborn.

I have been getting some energy crashes during two hour climbing workouts. Sometimes I just don't feel like eating and then I work out and it's a mess. Trying to get better about that. Cravings haven't been a real issue. This little plan should help a bit.
  • edited February 2013
    Great post. Thank you. Makes it very easy. Couple of questions if you don't mind.

I just started and am current 209#, 28% bf, so this gives me 15 blocks to work with. So for cyclical keto I changed it to 15, 5 and 55. Which gives me about 1350 calories a day. But I guess adding a BP coffee jacks that up.

Secondly, I see that MCT oil is not counted - but is the butter? Looks like I need to subtract the BP coffee butter from the daily fat intake.

I was using 13, 5 and 48 before this, but somewhere I got that fat blocks were 3, not the 1.5 you are using. It was from a post on here, but cannot find it right now. So I'm wondering if this could be why I wasn't loosing weight ver fast on a cyclic keto.

Going to give your system a try and will let you know the results.

Thanks.

Great post. Thank you. Makes it very easy. Couple of questions if you don't mind.

I just started and am current 209#, 28% bf, so this gives me 15 blocks to work with. So for cyclical keto I changed it to 15, 5 and 55. Which gives me about 1350 calories a day. But I guess adding a BP coffee jacks that up.

Secondly, I see that MCT oil is not counted - but is the butter? Looks like I need to subtract the BP coffee butter from the daily fat intake.

I was using 13, 5 and 48 before this, but somewhere I got that fat blocks were 3, not the 1.5 you are using. It was from a post on here, but cannot find it right now. So I'm wondering if this could be why I wasn't loosing weight ver fast on a cyclic keto.

Going to give your system a try and will let you know the results.

Thanks.

Yeah, I don't look at or count calories, I also wouldn't want anyone to think I'm trying to turn bulletproof into a low calorie diet ( because they don't work long term). What I would look at is: don't change the protein, leave the carb at 5, change the fat up if you need/want to to a level that still provides fat loss but doesn't leave you hungry. Strict adherence to baseline adjustment to keto is hardcore, possible, and risking failure, so make sure you keep track of what you do and be willing and prepared to make adjustments as needed. Try it for a week, if miserable, up the fat to 65 or 75 and retest, adjust/retest etc (make it fun). The good thing is you have a clean marker from which to play around and customize.

Butter counts, MCT does not count.

Personal account:

I am currently in prep for the 2013 crossfit games, for this it is time to reduce bodyweight a bit to get faster times but keep the strength that has been built thus far.

Pretest: 18-8-96 (stable weight constant strength increases 12%bf ish.)

First test: adjust baseline to keto 18p 5c 70f- result lost 10lbs in two weeks, too fast, visual loss is muscle and fat, faster movement, muscles slightly squishy when tensed.

Test two: subtract fiber from carbs when counting, change to 18-7-62, add bcaa's- result instant muscle hardening and size increase, weight up 5 lbs, more energy, continued visual fat loss. Assessment: exercise demand outstripped carb replenishment.

Will stay here for now.
  • Sorry ifthis is obvious.

Should i be creating my ratios based on where i am or where i want to be.

Sorry ifthis is obvious.

Should i be creating my ratios based on where i am or where i want to be.

Determine your baseline numbers with current info (the formula is tuned for weight loss, notice how you subtract bf from weight, that means we are only feeding lean weight) then tweak based on trial or goals.
  • So I seem to be gaining a bit of weight. Not sure if it's muscle, fat or water or what. Should I expect muscle weight gain already? I don't know how long it takes to increase that. I've done about 5 days of weights/rock climbing since starting this block thing. 

So I seem to be gaining a bit of weight. Not sure if it's muscle, fat or water or what. Should I expect muscle weight gain already? I don't know how long it takes to increase that. I've done about 5 days of weights/rock climbing since starting this block thing. 

What did you end up settling on for your mod? your baseline was 14-14-14 correct? how do you feel food wise? strength wise? mirror wise? 

• Yes on the baseline.

Food wise I rarely feel hungry. It's kind of strange but I attribute it to IF and low carbs. I kind of force myself to have the whey protein.

Strength wise, feel fine lifting (I've already increased my max on bench at least) the rock climbing has been really low energy on Wednesday but fine Sunday. I usually re-feed on Saturday so maybe I need more carbs on Tuesday.

Mirror wise I look tighter after lifting and noticed a little chest improvement. I'm a bit pissed off about the layer of gut fat that is still there. Been doing BP since Dec 2012 and it's still there(may be to hard on myself. I've lost about 35lbs of fat so far. 200lbs down to 165 ; 5'9"). 

I'm mostly concerned about gaining fat weight doing this. The next level on the gut fat hack is going to be switching to MCT instead of coconut oil. I wanna be freakin shredded lean!

Yes on the baseline.

Food wise I rarely feel hungry. It's kind of strange but I attribute it to IF and low carbs. I kind of force myself to have the whey protein.

Strength wise, feel fine lifting (I've already increased my max on bench at least) the rock climbing has been really low energy on Wednesday but fine Sunday. I usually re-feed on Saturday so maybe I need more carbs on Tuesday.

Mirror wise I look tighter after lifting and noticed a little chest improvement. I'm a bit pissed off about the layer of gut fat that is still there. Been doing BP since Dec 2012 and it's still there(may be to hard on myself. I've lost about 35lbs of fat so far. 200lbs down to 165 ; 5'9"). 

I'm mostly concerned about gaining fat weight doing this. The next level on the gut fat hack is going to be switching to MCT instead of coconut oil. I wanna be freakin shredded lean!

so you modified it to 14-5-50? I saw on another post you made that you are eating a cup of rice after workouts, how many days a week are you doing that? that is 5 blocks of carb right there and rice is inflammatory, maybe keep the rice to refeed days and use sweet potato the rest of the time and also try using the total carb for counting.  If you are now eating more protein you could/should be getting muscle, this will eventually start increasing your base metabolic rate.

• Sorry. About a half cup is more accurate. I also eat basically no carbs the rest of the day. About 2 days a week and then a re-feed once a week. Yeah 14-5-50. I'll think about the rice change. Really don't like sweet potato much.

It makes sense that I would gain some weight if I'm gaining muscle. I just wasn't sure how fast I should expect that increase.

Sorry. About a half cup is more accurate. I also eat basically no carbs the rest of the day. About 2 days a week and then a re-feed once a week. Yeah 14-5-50. I'll think about the rice change. Really don't like sweet potato much.

It makes sense that I would gain some weight if I'm gaining muscle. I just wasn't sure how fast I should expect that increase.

When going though a composition change you need to use the mirror more often than the scale, every morning spend a couple minutes getting to know yourself, it's easier to see cause/effect of dietary fluctuations if any, save the scale for mornings of the refeed day.  I myself see steady bf loss through the week then after refeeds I'm puffy for a day or two then back to before refeed and then further, I can also notice when I'm losing muscle and fat etc.  I keep track so much stuff I can do one thing and almost predict the effect so I rarely have surprises.

• As an update. I finally benched my body weight after years of failing to do so. Very happy about this.

Chiropractor says I shouldn't do squats until I get my hamstrings less tight. Causing issues with back rounding and may injure... 

I'm having some trouble on carb restriction. Need to figure out exactly how much to have after workouts and what type. Rice is making me swell noticeably now.

Fortunately there is a perfect way to fix mobility and form in the squat with out stretching, if you saw my gf's squat before and after you would be amazed. Practice this every day: stand facing a wall with your feet shoulder width apart, angled out and toes 2-4" back from the wall. Now slowly squat, the object is to not let your knees or chest make contact with the wall on the way down, you may get down to a point where your hams turn off and cause you to fall on your ass, that's good you need to teach them to stay active. This also eliminates rounding of the back. As you go below parallel try to get as low as you can, this will correct the hip/ham tightness, once you do 10 or so, do one static hold at the bottom till failure. Once you get proficient, move in closer, the ultimate goal is to be able to squat with your toes touching the wall with a depth where you are almost sitting on your calves.

Have you tried mashed sweet potato with butter and cinnamon? Or mashed carrot with butter/cinnamon? I've been playing around with dextrose 18g post workout 20 min before my post workout drink, too early to tell but it's better than when I tried raw honey.
  • Wow so I tried that. Really embarrassing. I can see how that would improve things. I'll try it out.

Haven't tried SP or carrot thing. Sounds good. May just try the dextrose idea tho. My time from the gym to the house is 15 minutes and I'm lazy sometimes.  

• I Don't really understand the variations in between the cyclic keto and non cyclic low carb, what are the benefits of each?

Do we cycle between cyclic keto and non cyclic low carb for days that we workout we would eat non cyclic carb and cyclic keto for those that are not?

or do we have carbs everyday even on non re-feed and workout days and we adjust whether we want to be in keto or not?

What happens when your body runs out of the small amount of carbs you ate, I want to lose weight first then gain muscle and was thinking of asking a question about this topic but you posted this juts in time.

edited February 2013
    They are separate ideas, the non cyclical basically could/should keep the need to refeed down to zero, something low carb but with the ability to keep the same daily pattern. It is in effort to show examples how anyone with any personal desires can model the template to suit.

The cyclical keto is the bulletproof diet, 6 days very low carb, 1 day refeed.

Using the two rules, you can easily keep track and make incremental adjustments to find personal success. Or you can go nuts and make some kind of crazy untamed beast, I thought for sure someone would be like "16p 2c 185f!"

So in essence, you could come up with a training day block set and non training day block set, very interesting indeed!

spoiler alert: if you stick to baseline adjustment, no matter how you adjust with the rules, you are still feeding only lean bodyweight, it's only when you increase your baseline or free style that you can gain weight. Except leaving it at baseline without adjustment is not very bp.