Bulletproofing The Athlete- A Fully Customizable Template For Tracking And Changing Food Intake Base

18910111214»

Comments

• First I have 3 herniated discs in my back so I can't sprint at all is there something else I could do other than the sprinting resting that the book talks about.

Second how do I figure out 80% of my max lifts.

Third on my lifts do I just do the five recommended lifts for two minutes or until failure for just one rep or do I do multiple reps.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    1. Assault bike/airdyne, rowing, sled push, stationary bike with resistance, resistance elliptical.

2. Multiply your max by 0.8, if you don't know your max, just do a weight that you could do 5-6 reps with.

3. I don't know what you are referring to.

• This is a great post! I'm currently 174.8 lbs at 20% bf and really want to lose the bf. Would you recommend the cyclical or non-cyclical? Once I've got the bf where I want it (12%), I'll move onto lean muscle gain.

How tall are you? how many calories do you eat now? macros? what is your frequency and type of training?

• I'm 5'7" I'm eating between 1500 and 2000 calories a day. I train 4 days a week. I lift Monday's (Push lifts), Wednesday's (Pull lifts), Friday's (Legs) to failure. It's usually about 30 mins per session. HIIT sprints/walk Saturday's. Since I've been doing this for only a week, I've started with 70% fats, 10% carbs, 20% protein.

So here's what I see, unfortunately you are already eating too little, and if you have been eating at that level for a while then you have acquired some level of adaptation to that. If you don't spend some time reversing out of that lower calorie diet first before going for another cut, then the only real option is to to go even lower in calories to lose weight. From the numbers you are showing, you are saying you want to be 160lbs? seems pretty low to me for a male, personally I would suggest trying to add some lean mass, as cutting your calories even lower as described above will likely cause you to lose even more lean mass, getting to 12% may end up having you into 150's by the time you are done. I would highly recommend taking some time to build your calories up while remaining relatively weight stable, hold for a period of time, then do a cut, the calories you end up cutting on will be around what you are eating now, plus you will have hopefully added some lean mass in the process and will not have to get your bodyweight so low to achieve your bodyfat goal.

• You are correct, sir. I have adapted to these lower calories for years now.

Yes, I was thinking about 165lbs would be pretty amazing. I thought that b/c I looked pretty decent at that weight once before but maybe I lost all my muscle at that stage. I was on Weight Watchers and was just happy to be down from 200lbs.

"I would highly recommend taking some time to build your calories up while remaining relatively weight stable, hold for a period of time, then do a cut, the calories you end up cutting on will be around what you are eating now, plus you will have hopefully added some lean mass in the process and will not have to get your bodyweight so low to achieve your bodyfat goal." How would you recommend building my calories up while remaining relatively weight stable? What do you mean when you say the cals I end up cutting on will be around what I am eating now?

Sorry for the what must seem like endless amount of questions. On your template, what course would you recommend me doing?

Lean muscle gain: (weight increase)

• if you have stopped gaining muscle tissue at your baseline here we will increase our baseline to get more protein (eat like the weight we want to be), Example: training days 23p, 23c, 23f becomes something like 30p, 30c, 30f, now using an adjust/test/adjust/retest, lower the carb intake until you reach the point of no bodyfat gain, and remember to do the fat formula rule. Example: 30p, 10c, 120f.

Probably easier to just use macros, for you I would start with 1g/lb protein, 1g/lb carb, 0.5g/lb fat, that would put you close to your current calories. From there you would need to make adjustments down every time you stabilize for a week straight, keep protein stable and take from either fats or carbs it doesn't matter much but taking from carbs affects your performance and recovery more than fats. Make your reductions in 100cal increments (25g carb or 11g fat). If it sounds like it sucks and it probably will, it is because you aren't reverse dieting first.

• Jason,

Incredible information! Really appreciate you volunteering your time and expertise.

My wife and I have been doing BP coffee w/ some adherence to the BP diet for 1 year+. We workout 3-4x per week. I do weightlifting and HIIT exclusively. She does weightlifting/HIIT 1-2x per week and barre/pilates 2-3x per week.

We'd like to try your eating plan with the cyclical keto / refeed. I am 178lb w/ ~12% BF and she is 121 w/ ~20%. BF. On days I'm active, I'd estimate a 1.1 training level and she'd estimate a 1.0.

A few questions for you.
    1. Do we both use 5 blocks of C for the keto days?
    2. Do we both use 16 blocks of C for the refeed days?
    3. Do we use the active training level to calc protein on active days and the not active training level on rest days?
    4. Should she consider the days she does barre/pilates as "active"?

@rangerswin said:
    Jason,

Incredible information! Really appreciate you volunteering your time and expertise.

My wife and I have been doing BP coffee w/ some adherence to the BP diet for 1 year+. We workout 3-4x per week. I do weightlifting and HIIT exclusively. She does weightlifting/HIIT 1-2x per week and barre/pilates 2-3x per week.

We'd like to try your eating plan with the cyclical keto / refeed. I am 178lb w/ ~12% BF and she is 121 w/ ~20%. BF. On days I'm active, I'd estimate a 1.1 training level and she'd estimate a 1.0.

A few questions for you.
    1. Do we both use 5 blocks of C for the keto days?
    2. Do we both use 16 blocks of C for the refeed days?
    3. Do we use the active training level to calc protein on active days and the not active training level on rest days?
    4. Should she consider the days she does barre/pilates as "active"?

In the four years since this post was created, I have acquired a great deal of knowledge and training as a performance and body composition coach. Unfortunately my recommendations are much different now than this thread states, though it can keep people from undereating too badly as they normally would following this style of diet. For your type of training and frequency you need way more carbs than you suggest (5 blocks), in fact, a minimum of 19/day for you and 13 for her would be better, with more on training days. You can stick to 1g/lb protein every day as your bf%'s are low, obviously the fats will drop because the carbs are up.

• Thanks Jason. Do you have new guidance for establishing an eating plan?

Yes but it is not low carb so doesn't really fit on this forum. I am one of the coaches with eat to perform, unfortunately it is a subscription based plan.

• Erin_CErin_C
    edited May 9

Hi Jason, I am 5'3" female, weighing between 181-185. I am a powerlifter and train 4 days a week, currently in a hypertrophy phase. I have attempted the BP diet previously but always felt great in the AM and then exhausted around 4 and into training time. I have for the past two months increased my carb intake. I am looking to lose some body fat but not at the expense of my strength. I currently consume about 1800 cals (135p, 135c, 80f). On the Keto my calculations are 17p, 5c, 69f (119p, 45c, 103f in grams). It seems extremely low in carbs but I guess that is the idea. Is there a way to keep my energy levels up? Do those number seem effective for fat loss? Thanks!!

@Erin_C said:
    Hi Jason, I am 5'3" female, weighing between 181-185. I am a powerlifter and train 4 days a week, currently in a hypertrophy phase. I have attempted the BP diet previously but always felt great in the AM and then exhausted around 4 and into training time. I have for the past two months increased my carb intake. I am looking to lose some body fat but not at the expense of my strength. I currently consume about 1800 cals (135p, 135c, 80f). On the Keto my calculations are 17p, 5c, 69f (119p, 45c, 103f in grams). It seems extremely low in carbs but I guess that is the idea. Is there a way to keep my energy levels up? Do those number seem effective for fat loss? Thanks!!

I would not recommend that at all actually, you can get a customized meal plan with the company I work for called Eat To Perform to maximize energy during a cut, you do need carbs to fuel your training and you want to keep your protein high. If you just want a basic recommendation to start from and tweak on your own I would go with (in grams) 165g protein, 50g fat, and between 175 and 225g carb (adjust as needed), rest days up the fat and lower the carbs.

• Thank you Jason! I have been looking at the Eat to Preform website for the past few minutes so I will keep checking it out. I will play around with those numbers and see how that goes for a few weeks. Thanks again.

18910111214»