Bulletproofing The Athlete- A Fully Customizable Template For Tracking And Changing Food Intake Base

Comments

• I thought eating fat doesn't make you fat, but it's not a whole way to look at it.

I am planning to workout 3/4 days a week, after I do bulletproof IF for the next month. Intense exercise that may last an hour of heavy weight lifting plus one session of "Body by Science" Workout so I have no losses.

On the days of workout I will take the supplements such as BCAA and 50 grams of carbs.. on the 5th day is my refeed day... or is that not neccesary?

What kind of carbs are the best to take after a workout?

Do I remain in ketosis or re-enter ketosis after the 50 gram carbs run out?

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    edited July 2016

any bulletproof fast acting carb will be a good choice, rice, dextrose, honey, maybe sweet potato, right now I am doing 2 blocks dextrose post workout (18g).
  • Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

If I have 75 lbs of lean mass and consume about 50 grams of protein per week, how many calories should I eat overall? I have been adding fat like crazy, and am averaging 2500 calories daily. This puts my calories from protein below 10%, is this okay? Since I should not adjust protein from my baseline, I have just been adding fat, but am concerned now with my macro ratios. On this diet I am maintaining my bodyfat and gaining a bit of muscle... very happy overall  :)

If I have 75 lbs of lean mass and consume about 50 grams of protein per week, how many calories should I eat overall? I have been adding fat like crazy, and am averaging 2500 calories daily. This puts my calories from protein below 10%, is this okay? Since I should not adjust protein from my baseline, I have just been adding fat, but am concerned now with my macro ratios. On this diet I am maintaining my bodyfat and gaining a bit of muscle... very happy overall  :)

your situation is very perplexing to me, I have never had to consider whether someone is able bodied or not, and the inherent dietary requirement differences.  Question, is your bodyweight due to atrophy or do you have amputations?  Are you exercising? Only 50g protein/week? 

glad you are having success.  I really think you are the greatest definer of your needs through experimentation, just make sure you come out of keto once in a while.

Wow, I meant 50 g per day... my mistake.

Allow me to explain my situation a bit better...

My low bodyweight is due to very little muscle mass in my legs. I do have legs... but they are very thin. I am not able to walk, but manage to stand for at least an hour everyday, thanks to a $50,000 standing wheelchair I received a few months ago.

My upper body is also lacking in muscle, but to a lesser extent. I train with a rowing exercise for about 15 min. on most days with a resistance band attached to the wall. I can also perform sit-ups somewhat successfully from a reclined position (my chair can also lay flat). I have started to notice increased muscle in my arms over the past month since following this routine.

Before BP I was very much underweight, at one point down to 65 lbs. Now I am above 80. Although I have much less definition in my abdominal muscles, my fat gain seems to have tapered the past few weeks and I am not troubled with a little extra belly fat. What I do not want is to reduce calories and lose out on all the benefits I have been experiencing... Increased energy, cold tolerance, reduced sleep needs, better cognition, etc.

So my question is as it was before. Can I keep eating an average of 2500 calories per day, so long as I am not getting fat, despite my unusually low protein requirements? Or will these abnormal ratios effect my hormones in some negative way?

You also asked about refeeds so I should tell you that I eat between 100-150 g carbs on Sundays (1 sweet potato and 2 cups white basmati rice). On Wednesday I do a "semi-refeed" of sorts with 1 sweet potato. On all other days I eat green vegetables and 1-2 carrots.

o.k, the reason I asked is that having the limbs or not would affect nutrition requirements, I think you are good with where you are at, if you are gaining muscle the protein is at the right level, carb levels seem good, the only reason your macros look skewed is due to the level of fat, if you are not gaining fat there is no reason to change, if you want to lose some fat, incrementally lower the fat, I say this only because the others don't need lowering (I know calories don't mean alot, but your daily caloric intake is higher than mine).

Really?? How many calories do you eat per day?

I am finding that using cold therapy has allowed me to eat lots more calories (from fat) without gaining much fat, despite my limited physical activity.

How might lower my calorie intake change my metabolism? I am afraid of the possibility of decreasing my fat burning potential by lowering total calories. The fantastic energy I have now is my main motivation for eating way above maintenance calories.

2000 ish, like I said, if it's working keep it , if it's not working change it. my block set is 18p 5c 70f

• Jason,

Do you add the tablespoon of coconut oil or pat of butter which you use in the cooking pan as part of your calculation?

Thanks 

Everything that goes in your mouth, yes.
  • edited March 2013

Jason,

I'm trying my best to be Bulletproof. I can get good grass-fed beef and butter locally + also coconut oil, but not MCT.

Initially I had started to orientate myself of Dave's words, consuming 100g protein daily and over 50%-60% total calories in fat (mostly saturated).

Now I'm studying and trying to practice your template which however stumps me re. fat consumption. My two mugs of coffee, each with 2 tbsp coco oil and 50g butter, total 135g fat = 90fat units on the Jason scale.

Did I get something wrong?

edited March 2013
    2tbsp coconut oil = 30g fat, 50g butter is 40g fat for a total of 70g fat or 46 blocks. So yes 2 of those would be 90 blocks.
  • Hi Jason,

I'd like to give this a try...  I got this far- 

125 lbs

15 lbs bf

110 lean body weight

multiplying by 0.7 (I work out 3x per week) = 77

I get 11c, 11p,11f

I'd like to reduce the carbs.... but when I start to play with the numbers, I know I"m not getting it right lol... I'd like to build muscle but lose so body fat as well... I have a lot to lose around my hips/thighs/butt area and "some" around belly.  I'm 39 with 2 kids (1 under 3 years old) if that gives you any idea to what I'm dealing with lol... I feel great after starting IF a week ago- MORE than great... I actually feel like I need to eat more- not really hungry- finding I'm probably getting TOO much fat- around 65% and not enough veggies... trying to work on that...

Also, I'm so used to dealing with actual calories that I don't "get" the blocks... can you explain? 

edited February 2016

• edited February 2016

HOLY CRAP... your gf deadlifts 210 lbs???  I'm doing only 95 and killing myself lol.... Ok, I'll need to re-read this a few times to really get it down... I'm using myfitnesspal, to do percentages and calories.... going to have to figure out how to do it with blocks... thanks for your help... I'll keep you updated!!!

• what are egg yolks considered? I'm guessing more fat than protein? how many blocks

Does your carton have a nutrition label? Mine shows 7g protein and 5g fat so that's 1bl protein and 3bl fat per egg. For the fitness pal just convert your blocks to grams and hit the numbers, 7g protein is a block, 9g carb is a block and 1.5g is a block, so 11p is 77g, 5c is 45g, 35f is 52g. Feel free to raise your fat blocks to 40 (60g) if having a hard time. Oh yeah, I count an avocado as 10f.
  • the stupid fitness pal doesn't let me put in the numbers as grams- only percentages.... is there a way to change that?

• also, I know I'm being a pain, but what is a "typical" eating day for your gf, ..... I seem to be eating a lot of the same stuff.... I like to have that 6-egg yolk/whey combination thing at some point during the day..it's like a dessert!!!

the stupid fitness pal doesn't let me put in the numbers as grams- only percentages.... is there a way to change that?

start by changing the protein % until you get the grams you want, then change the carbs % until you get the grams you want, now if what is leftover for the fat is too high or  too low you need to change the calorie total and start over, you can get it close, probably not perfect though, thats ok.

edited April 2013

also, I know I'm being a pain, but what is a "typical" eating day for your gf, ..... I seem to be eating a lot of the same stuff.... I like to have that 6-egg yolk/whey combination thing at some point during the day..it's like a dessert!!!

Pre workout: 5g bcaa, 5g creatine, 10g, glutamine, 1/2 scoop protein powder (2ish blocks protein)

post workout: 5g bcaa, 5g creatine, 10g glutamine, 1 scoop protein powder (3ish blocks protein)

Breakfast: coffee w/ 2tbsp mct oil, 3tbsp butter (30g fat or 20 blocks), 1 tsp gelatine, 1.5tsp cocoa powder

Lunch: 3oz meat, 2 cups green veg, 1 avocado (3p 1c 10f)

dinner: 3oz meat, 2 cups veg, 1/4c sweet potato, 15g fat from whatever (coco oil, mac nuts, butter, kerry gold cheese, lard, tallow) (3p 2c 10f)

Total: 11p 3c 40f, she may have some extra carb mid week if she starts to get keto rash from the ultra low carb,
  • start by changing the protein % until you get the grams you want, then change the carbs % until you get the grams you want, now if what is leftover for the fat is too high or  too low you need to change the calorie total and start over, you can get it close, probably not perfect though, thats ok.

OK, I played around- the closest I got was 49c, 74p, 54f... .but that's with only 980 calories lol

Don't forget you aren't counting the MCT, that's like 250cal, and you are free to increase fat blocks as much as you want, just choose, maintain, see results, adjust if ness.
  • thank you for all your help... just made my lunch.. a spinach salad with avocado and 3 oz. chicken breast... I know, grass-fed beef is better, having that for dinner- not really a beef person so I can't have it twice in one day lol..... 

where would that 6-yolk/whey blend come into play? could I do that post workout and add 1/2 banana for carbs into the mix?

also, I've gained a few pounds since I started this... is that normal? I know for sure it isn't muscle just yet lol

My post workout isn't that big and my training is pretty involved, maybe 1 scoop protein, 3 yolks, 1/4c sweet potato (I can't condone fructose) and cinnamon (3p 1c 10f), but even that's pretty much a whole meal.  

Just go by the mirror for now and use the scale as a loose reference.  Once your hormones and everything else click it gets easier.

• My post workout isn't that big and my training is pretty involved, maybe 1 scoop protein, 3 yolks, 1/4c sweet potato (I can't condone fructose) and cinnamon (3p 1c 10f), but even that's pretty much a whole meal.  

Just go by the mirror for now and use the scale as a loose reference.  Once your hormones and everything else click it gets easier.

You don't eat ANY fruit at all?

edited February 2016

• Hey Jason, first off I want to thank you for the great template!  Really appreciate the work, I also follow your wods and envy your crossfit programming abilities.  

I don't want to make this post too long but my question is basically about caloric intake.

Using your cyclic keto template for myself a 215lb 5days a week athlete with 16%bf and 34lbs fat mass;

20blocks/140g protein, 5 blocks/45g carbohydrate and 80 blocks/120g fat on keto days

20blocks/140g protein, 16 blocks/144g carbohydrate and 36 blocks/54g fat on refeed days

Two questions:

1. Does this look right?

2. At only around 1700kcal a day it will be much less than I am used to taking in.  Do you think it's enough to sustain the muscle mass I do have?  Should I transition slowly from my 2300kcal to the 1700 as per normal dieting strategies.

Thanks for your answer in advance!  Don't be afraid to tell me I'm worrying too much about calorie intake because that is also a concern of mine.

Hey Jason, first off I want to thank you for the great template! Really appreciate the work, I also follow your wods and envy your crossfit programming abilities.

I don't want to make this post too loung but my question is basically about caloric intake.

Using your cyclic keto template for myself a 215lb 5days a week athlete with 16%bf and 34lbs fat mass;

20blocks/140g protein, 5 blocks/45g carbohydrate and 80 blocks/120g fat on keto days

20blocks/140g protein, 16 blocks/144g carbohydrate and 36 blocks/54g fat on refeed days

Two questions:

1. Does this look right?

2. At only around 1700kcal a day it will be much less than I am used to taking in. Do you think it's enough to sustain the muscle mass I do have? Should I transition slowly from my 2300kcal to the 1700 as per normal dieting strategies.

Thanks for your answer in advance! Don't be afraid to tell me I'm worrying too much about calorie intake because that is also a concern of mine.

1.Yes it looks right

2. It is a cutting template, I've never added up the calories, I just go by feel. My best suggestion is while you are doing it, pay attention to how you feel, if you start to feel run down or have desires to pig out, increase your fat blocks. Another idea would be similar to what I do, which is that my calculation is 15 blocks but I have chosen 18 blocks to be more muscular to be competitive and do the carb/fat adjustment to suit.

Personally on refeed days I follow the protein and carb blocks but go the same as the other days with fat.

Also on non workout days I dial the carbs to 3 blocks when cutting.

I'm actually right now in the beginning of an experiment to document the effects of the different settings and will be posting the results as the experiment proceeds. In the preliminary testing I found there is a setting that causes fat and size loss (mostly glycogen) then as the carb blocks start to go up, muscles fill out but fat loss continues, then fat loss levels out, then as they get higher fat accumulates. This seems like a normal outcome but the fat blocks are dropping by 4 at a time as the carb is increasing by 1, most would say that means calories are decreasing, so why the weight gain? The outcome of this should show that with diligence and experimentation, each person can find the exact setting to create the desired effect.

O.K. so I'm conducting a study on the effects of different mod settings on performance, muscle, and body fat.  Some history: I dialed down for the Crossfit games and now I have a year to play around and run tests.  Without any ridged documentation I started to raise the carb blocks and found that there was a sliding scale similar to this: muscles start to fill out/ fat loss continues, muscles filled out/ fat loss stops, muscles filled out / fat increases, now I'm curious to find the exact point of diminished returns.  Went from 176lbs to 190lbs during the preliminary phase, even dropping the carb blocks for a week or so before the start of the study got me to a 183lb starting point.

The test: I am going to start at 18-4-74 for two weeks, then 18-5-70, then 18-6-66, 18-7-64, 18-8-60 and so on or until the outcome is unfavoured, then go back down (funny, the calories will actually be decreasing).  Non training days (2 per week) will be 18-3-78 through the entirety and refeeds will be 18-15-70 (I still want my coffee and it doesn't seem to cause havoc, hence the higher fat).  On a weekly basis I will post here the details which will include daily weight changes (taken immediately upon waking and a pee), that days block prescription, possibly weekly fat % (I like using the mirror as this is hard as my weigh scale does this but it can change drastically day to day which is not possible, and I have a caliper that shows different results in a 2 inch area), any other notable occurrences (strength drops/increases, tired/energized, performance speed increase/decrease etc).  It should be noted that my actual calculation gives a 15 block result, I am at 18 blocks to facilitate increased muscularity.  All carbs will be eaten at dinner and the food items will be identical for all meals.

Hopefully the outcome will give a clear example of how to apply and test this formula to anyone using it, obviously me being the only subject causes the study to be invalid.