Keto Rash?

Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
edited February 2013 in The Bulletproof Diet
Hmm, my face is itchy and I have bumps all over and I have a couple of bumps on my chest and stomach. I did that 3 week fast and then a refeed day once a week for the last 2 weeks, tomorrow is my next one. Maybe I have to have a re-feed day every 3 days until my body gets used to this? I am kind of freaked out by this. Will it go away after I cycle the carbs more? Any advice? I also had itchy eyes one day, this has been happening very lightly the last 3 days.

Daily Supplements:

Krill oil 1000mg

nac

coqu-10

source naturals digestive enzymes

then a very clean intermittent fasting regimen. I feel like starting on carbs first thing in the morning cause im freaked out, or do I wait for my fast time.
Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.
Tagged:

Comments

• Hey man, I have similar stuff going on and it really does go away when I have carbs. Mostly my legs itch and have some bumps. Not sure what to tell you. I usually have less than 50g of carbs during my regular days and that's when I feel itchy. Soooo yeah I guess I'm looking for a solution too. I've been on this routine for 3 months.
  • Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    edited February 2013
    I have been doing some reading and some people say it could be having eggs every day which I have been doing and also the combination of eggs and meat. I love how I feel but I hate this rash, and it's on my face? OH HELL NO. I've also had ground beef pretty much every day. I know I should be mixing it up but I'm not a huge fan of salmon and eggs are a staple. I also eat alot of nuts, particularly pecans and macadamia
    Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.
  • Yup, eating the carbs helps. Anyone have any idea why this would be? I feel like the body should be used to this sort of behavior.

I don't eat beef every day btw. I have chicken fish and pork throughout the week. So doubtful it's just red meat.
  • Yeah I noticed some of your comments about fiber earlier in the week... think it was you Jason.. Seems to make sense.

From a paleo sort of perspective tho wouldn't that be usual to have the majority of your carbs from unrefined sources with lots of fiber? Perhaps we aren't getting something in our diet that would make this reaction go away. More organ meats perhaps, more fat or more power? I don't know... I'll try to take the full vitamin stack recommended and see how it goes. Maybe I'll fix some deficiency I don't know I have.
    So I decided to drop my refeed day from 7 days to 4 days and also making sure I drink my gallon of water. Also I havent juiced in 18 days. I also will have some fruit in a salad in between my refeeds. I need to have a bit of balance.
  • ^ Sounds like a plan.

I used to eat more raspberries and cracker type things now that I think of it... My weight-loss is faster now that I dropped them out tho.
    Yes, i havent been losing much weight, staying even though, and losing pant size without exercising so I know something is happening. More importantly I feel like a million bucks every day. But rashes? Hell no.

I had my carb day and it subsided to almost nothing. Having fruit or honey every other day wont kill me, and should even me out.
  • Yeah man...if I had the rash on my face I'd probably look at it a bit differently... It's on my legs soo not the end of the world.

Awesome on the body comp changes.
    Thanks man, started this at a 40 waist, 240 lbs, finished juice fast at 210 with a 38 waist. Now 208 with 36 waist no exercise.
  • edited February 2013
    Judo, I think you were right man and I have a keto rash too. I found this link and it sounds like it's spot on. I've lost quite a bit of weight too, but this rash is kinda disconcerting. Especially if you look up the photos of it on google images. I don't want that shit, lol. It causes hyper pigmentation eventually which sux. http://cassiopaea.or...p?topic=27816.0

p.s.

I just went back to the doctor and he put me on a 2nd course of cephalexin (antibiotic) and a topical cream (triamcinolone). These actually worked quite well on the first course, but didn't knock it out completely. I told him that cephalexin makes me bloated, and he said that it makes everyone bloated, and to eat some plain greek yoghurt, which I assume he says cause it's easier than explaining what probiotics are.
    Its been 4 days since my refeed and i havent seen a hint of the rash. Do what I did. Do carbs more often. Your body is telling you chill on the ketosis. So instead of 7 days im doing 4. Maybe I can work up to 7 in the future.
  • Yeah man, I upped my carbs recently because I'm working out more, seems to have helped a bit.
  • edited February 2013

Its been 4 days since my refeed and i havent seen a hint of the rash. Do what I did. Do carbs more often. Your body is telling you chill on the ketosis. So instead of 7 days im doing 4. Maybe I can work up to 7 in the future.

I'm on the bulletproof IF, so if I break keto, there's no point on doing it, and I should just eat bulletproof all the time instead yea?

Well there is an art to resuming keto quickly, one way is to lower your carb refeed to 90-100g on every 4th day. Also begin to research CKD and you will find the timing and science behind it.