Early Morning Workouts

This is a combination of questions really.

I typically workout at 5:30am, 5 days a week.  I follow something along the lines of LeanGains for the BCAAs and such, and I've also read that coffee/caffeine should not be consumed after working out (but then again some say you should).

I know nothing is definitive but looking to see who has experience and has experimented with this already in hopes of finding how I should first experiment.

With an early morning workout are you following LeanGains, ie only using BCAA's until 2pmish to keep IF going?

Are you drinking BP Coffee?

Some, such as Ori w/ Warrior Diet uses whey instead of BCAA's, thoughts on that?

What I've been doing has been:

4:45-5:15 10-15g's BCAA pre-workout

5:30am workout

7:30 or so BP Coffee (Coconut oil and Kerrygold)

Lunch typically around 1-2pm

I'm hitting PRs, my recovery seems to be 1-2 days, fat loss is getting there but slow (and the unfortunate part is all I have left is midsection).  Looking to increase this fat loss but continue my gains/PRs. 

Comments

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Sounds like you are at the point to where you need to play with your own variables to see what works for you.  What works for me might not work for you.

What do you think your body fat percentage is?  If you are really lean and your goals are to be extremely lean (like LeanGains lean) you might have to tone back on the BP coffee.

• Hopefully I can help a bit...

I've seen some people here say that (1) they do BP coffee prior to their workout, breaking fast with the PWO meal; (2) continue doing BP coffee afterwards until the fast is "broken". If you look around on LeanGains, you will also see that Martin recommends you take BCAA's PWO if you workout early.

As I just (re)found out last night/this morning, BCAA's may not even be necessary prior to your workout. So maybe you can just do BP coffee. I'm not necessarily sure how BCAA's would affect you after working out due to the insulin spike, I don't know how long insulin is suppressed after resistance training.

Ultimately, I would experiment and see what works for you.

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• I was going to say that as well, Mark. Maybe take down the amount of BP coffee your drinking if working out at that time is a must and you feel fat loss is too slow. Maybe try changing the time you work out if possible?

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• Hi mate I've just started using BP coffee pre workout and I can see the difference already. I usually train at 0630 most week days and train mostly free weight and resistance training and follow a power muscle burn workout available on bodybuilding.com. My gains in muscle definition have been excellent as well as my body fat loss. For the last 18months I have been fully paleo and in the last few months more like 70/30 paleo. BP seems to have spiked that lean muscle development and fat loss again for me characteristic when changing to a paleo lifestyle. In my experience thus far though I would cut back on the coffee after training (depending on what you do the rest of the day).

In terms of your mid section issue I've always had that problem as well. For me I try to supplement my workout plan with at least one high intensity crossfit workout a week. Recently I've been hitting the crossfit website for new sessions, I can recommend Murphy if you want a really good workout for leaning up. Hope that's useful or if not i definitely feel your pain on the mid section thing!
  • I would only use BCAA before and after workout.

Whey is only about 25% BCAA. And most whey have good amounts of carbs.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]

• I said "I" not "you should" the protein is to stave of hunger and weakness in the middle of my workout, my workouts are horrible if I don't have it. Besides, aren't you doing the couch potato six pack program? I think you might be in the wrong forum section. Yes I'm pissy this morning.

I to said "I" and I even said "would" as in if I would leave my couch.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • So what seems to be the consensus here.I just read through a ton of forum threads, and it may boil down to self experimentation. I too have that last little bit on the mid-section. I wake at 445 and list around 6. I normally have been drinking black coffee and BCAA's, and then having a carb/protein and greens shake after. 

- Should I drink BP coffee at 445, or stick with black and the BCAA (and creatine)?

- PWO drink BCAA and then BP coffee? 

Sorry, trying to pick this up and that is the only time I can workout before my 3 daughters wake up

• TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka
    edited March 2013

So what seems to be the consensus here.I just read through a ton of forum threads, and it may boil down to self experimentation. I too have that last little bit on the mid-section. I wake at 445 and list around 6. I normally have been drinking black coffee and BCAA's, and then having a carb/protein and greens shake after. 

- Should I drink BP coffee at 445, or stick with black and the BCAA (and creatine)?

- PWO drink BCAA and then BP coffee? 

Sorry, trying to pick this up and that is the only time I can workout before my 3 daughters wake up

On lifting days, I've been playing with coffee + MCT oil, no butter when I wake up. Then I take my creatine w/ bcaa supplement (it's a pill pack and I can't say the amount of bcaa...on the label it just shows that one of the pills has: leucine, isoleucine, and valine...with no mg attached to it). 

Mark linked me here and just playing experimenting with his ideas ...and I'm not sure if 2 tblspn of MCT + coffee is technically fasted...but fasted lifting helped me to drop bf%.

http://www.leangains.com/

• Thanks TJ! What do you do post workout?

edited March 2013

Post workout I eat about 20-50g of carbohydrate, depending on the workout. On days I play basketball + weight training, my body requires more carbohydrate.  I mix up the carb source but mostly sweet potatoes and cinnamon. Then I go back and forth cold shower/steam room/restorative swim laps/cold shower/steam room. On the way home I take glut amine and drink a whey shake. Then I usually have a big meal about an 1-2 hours after the workout.

• One big change I made to help recovery right after my workout is mix in some dextrose corn sugar with my whey protein along with a banana.  Muscles at that time really need enery and carbs immediately and then protein.  Another protein shake about an hour after workout.

edited March 2013

One big change I made to help recovery right after my workout is mix in some dextrose corn sugar with my whey protein along with a banana.  Muscles at that time really need enery and carbs immediately and then protein.  Another protein shake about an hour after workout.

Why the corn sugar? Is glucose the same as dextrose?  I read a study that showed metabolically speaking glucose and fructose post workout are equal but over time fructose takes more of a toll on your liver. This has not necessarily made me avoid fruit like bananas and figs but I definitely only use those foods to aid exercise.

• Ditch the carbs around your work outs & the fat will soon disappear.
  • One big change I made to help recovery right after my workout is mix in some dextrose corn sugar with my whey protein along with a banana.  Muscles at that time really need enery and carbs immediately and then protein.  Another protein shake about an hour after workout.

Who says?

Carbs are best before weight training not after.

Who says?

Carbs are best before weight training not after.

You're going to have to give an explanation or cite a source for this. Since I started eating carbs post workout and none before I have been getting more cut looking muscles and bigger strength gains. Here is an example of study that seems to conclude maintenance of glycogen stores are important for aerobics or cross-fit but if you are just lifting it's not necessary.  These are the kind of conclusions I come across most often. Lifting weights alone does not deplete a lot of glycogen store.