First Time Nootropic User

I'm thinking about trying out a nootropic for the first time.  What are everyone's suggestions?  I am thinking about http://www.amazon.com/Pramiracetam-Bulk-Powder-25-Grams/dp/B007R3LGH4/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_22 

Thanks.

Comments

• I recommend starting with the basic stack:

Piracetam+Choline

Caffeine+l-Theanine .

I would start here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/wiki/faq

• GhastlyPrezGhastlyPrez Ghastly Prezence

Nootropics are definitely a great way to boost memory and thought processes. Most of them have been around for a long enough time to get a good deal of research done regarding them.

Pramiracetam is a very good Nootropic, and definitely one of the more potent of the Racetam chemical class.

However for just starting out I would suggest a Piracetam+Aniracetam+CDP Choline stack, Pramiracetam and Aniracetam tend to make some drowsy when they first start using them. The three Nootropics I listed are essentially basic, however the Piracetam is a great building block for a Nootropic stack due to its various benefits that are not too common (such as stimulating the Corpus Callosum).

• RodRod The Rodfather

Nootropics are definitely a great way to boost memory and thought processes. Most of them have been around for a long enough time to get a good deal of research done regarding them.

Pramiracetam is a very good Nootropic, and definitely one of the more potent of the Racetam chemical class.

However for just starting out I would suggest a Piracetam+Aniracetam+CDP Choline stack, Pramiracetam and Aniracetam tend to make some drowsy when they first start using them. The three Nootropics I listed are essentially basic, however the Piracetam is a great building block for a Nootropic stack due to its various benefits that are not too common (such as stimulating the Corpus Callosum).

Are these benefits just short term and are there any long term worries? 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

Are these benefits just short term and are there any long term worries? 

Long term worries, no there is no long term worries you would really need to be concerned about.

As to the benefits, with Piracetam the benefits last for as long as you continue taking the Nootropic. With Pramiracetam there was a study done over a 3 month period, and another 3 months of usage of Pramiracetam they brought the subjects back and found that Pramiracetam continues to have effects even after dosing has been halted.

With most Racetams the benefits increase over the duration of time that you take them. So if one was to continue taking Piracetam over a 4 month time they would notice that the effectiveness has increased over the past four months. Hope this helps! :D

• Nootropics are definitely a great way to boost memory and thought processes. Most of them have been around for a long enough time to get a good deal of research done regarding them.

What do you recommend to do about the drowsiness? I felt a little drowsy about 4 hours after taking the ani. Should I up my choline or down it? Or will the drowsiness symptoms go away slowly over time?

• RodRod The Rodfather

Long term worries, no there is no long term worries you would really need to be concerned about.

As to the benefits, with Piracetam the benefits last for as long as you continue taking the Nootropic. With Pramiracetam there was a study done over a 3 month period, and another 3 months of usage of Pramiracetam they brought the subjects back and found that Pramiracetam continues to have effects even after dosing has been halted.

With most Racetams the benefits increase over the duration of time that you take them. So if one was to continue taking Piracetam over a 4 month time they would notice that the effectiveness has increased over the past four months. Hope this helps! :D

Thank you for the response. I only ask because I read a few times that people recommended cycling on and off and mix-matching stacks. I'm not sure if they were worried about something...

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

What do you recommend to do about the drowsiness? I felt a little drowsy about 4 hours after taking the ani. Should I up my choline or down it? Or will the drowsiness symptoms go away slowly over time?

Try cutting your Aniracetam dosage in half, it isnt due to the choline that you are becoming drowsy. How long have you been taking Aniracetam?

Thank you for the response. I only ask because I read a few times that people recommended cycling on and off and mix-matching stacks. I'm not sure if they were worried about something...

With some Nootropics it is recommended to cycle them, like Noopept. I sometimes cycle my choline source/dosing.

• edited March 2013

Try cutting your Aniracetam dosage in half, it isnt due to the choline that you are becoming drowsy. How long have you been taking Aniracetam?

With some Nootropics it is recommended to cycle them, like Noopept. I sometimes cycle my choline source/dosing.

Yesterday was the second day. What if I split my usual dose into two and take one closer to bedtime? Does that side effect eventually go away.

Yes the side effect of drowsiness does go away after about a week or so. I would suggest taking the second dose inbetween lunch and dinner just in case it does stimulate your mind enough to keep up you awake when trying to go to sleep.

Yea second day in, you are gonna be a lil drowsy, it wasn't like that for me but for a few people I know it was until they adjusted to the Racetam.

• Actually today I was fucking WIRED. It was insane. I took the two doses at separate times and had 3 250 mg caps of citicoline, 2 with the first dose, one with the second. No headaches so I don't think I'm OD'ing on choline.

By the way Ghastly your vast knowledge of nootropics is pretty helpful. Gracias amigo.

Well most usually get headaches concerning Racetams when there isn't enough choline so you should be fine taking 750mg Citicoline. Just be sure not to make that dose range your daily one, it isn't harmful or anything but some people have complained of depression, so maybe you could cycle your choline every other day. That's generally what I do.

Haha thanks man! Yea, I know a bit about Nootropics, been studying them and talking about them for a couple years now. :) glad to be of help mate!

• edited March 2013

Well most usually get headaches concerning Racetams when there isn't enough choline so you should be fine taking 750mg Citicoline. Just be sure not to make that dose range your daily one, it isn't harmful or anything but some people have complained of depression, so maybe you could cycle your choline every other day. That's generally what I do.

Haha thanks man! Yea, I know a bit about Nootropics, been studying them and talking about them for a couple years now. :) glad to be of help mate!

That's an interesting idea. That will also save a bit on money. The stuff is expensive. Would dropping the dose to 250 mg a day work too (assuming that no headaches or brain fog occur)?

Yea so long as you don't get any headaches or brainfog you should be fine. CDP Choline (Citicoline) is a pretty good Choline source due to its various benefits that range from dopaminergic, cholinergic, and a few other neuro-protective/repair benefits. I know that CDP is sometimes used by people trying to kick a coke habit due to how it affects the dopamine receptors.

Have you heard of Centrophenoxine? It's an ester of DMAE, so when it is processed through your liver/kidney (can't recall which) it is somewhat turned into a choline source. But other than that it actually helps increase glucose and oxygen to the brain, as well as increase the RNA in your brain that is responsible for repairing damaged cells and encode memory. Definitely a great nootropic, especially if one is taking Nootropics for more than just memory benefits but as a proactive stance on protecting preserving their brain's capabilities.

• Yea so long as you don't get any headaches or brainfog you should be fine. CDP Choline (Citicoline) is a pretty good Choline source due to its various benefits that range from dopaminergic, cholinergic, and a few other neuro-protective/repair benefits. I know that CDP is sometimes used by people trying to kick a coke habit due to how it affects the dopamine receptors.

Have you heard of Centrophenoxine? It's an ester of DMAE, so when it is processed through your liver/kidney (can't recall which) it is somewhat turned into a choline source. But other than that it actually helps increase glucose and oxygen to the brain, as well as increase the RNA in your brain that is responsible for repairing damaged cells and encode memory. Definitely a great nootropic, especially if one is taking Nootropics for more than just memory benefits but as a proactive stance on protecting preserving their brain's capabilities.

I haven't but I will look into it. I've only done research on a few nootropics, mostly the racetams. This one sounds interesting though. What do you think is going to happen with the legal status of the racetams? Seems like the FDA is getting stricter about them all the time. I have a feeling that they will become illegal...

I haven't but I will look into it. I've only done research on a few nootropics, mostly the racetams. This one sounds interesting though. What do you think is going to happen with the legal status of the racetams? Seems like the FDA is getting stricter about them all the time. I have a feeling that they will become illegal...

Yea Centrophenoxine has definitely caught my mind and is something Im considering adding to my stack.

Well Im not sure how they could make them illegal, I think this is exactly like what happened in 2010 when they did pretty much the same thing and tightened up against Nootropics/Racetams. They (FDA) have although effectively removed Racetams from Amazon and eCrater just this year so maybe there is something going on in the horizon. I certainly hope not, Id hate to have to start paying over seas shipping prices to get my Noots