Working The Numbers/ratios - Ideas / Process

edited February 2013 in The Bulletproof Diet

Hi All,

I am so far happy with the IF with a loss of 4.5kg (approx 10lb) in 4 weeks, I have posted my eating routine elsewhere.

Since I need to lose at least 120-130 lb to get to something manageable I am about 345lb at the moment whoops I was at the start now 10lb lower ... :eek:

Now for the science, I am seeing the results with my method, however would like to start tweaking the method to get the best results as I believe I am not achieving the best possible scenario for maximum loss.

I would like to tweak IF as much as possible before resorting to the RFP.

Some numbers that I have reached as a baseline.

Even though Dave says you don't count calories, you still need to work towards some sort of calorie total ?

In the notes Dave suggests the following:

Fruit:                     1-2 serves per day

Animal Protein:     4-6 serves

Healthy Fats:        5-9 serves

Healthy Veggies:  6-11 serves

Note all figures are approximate and rounded for simplicity

So working on the BMR Calculations for me 2880 Cal, if I work on a depletion of 800 calories I need to consume 2000 calories per day for 800g (1.8 lb) loss per week 

Working on the per serve ratios, this should equate to:

Fruit:                  5% - 100 cal

Animal Protein: 20% - 400 cal

Fats:                 60% - 1200 cal

Veggies:           15% -   300 cal - this may be a problem unless you eat Sweet potato which isn't actually allowed in normal day ?

Some suggestions welcome

Thanks

Comments

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013

Well, "a serving" doesn't mean much. A handful of dried dates is not the same as a handful of blueberries for example. Apples and oranges in most cases. 

What it really boils down to is... food quality and limiting carbs (which happens automatically if you drop starch and fruit).

In your case I would stop worrying about calories from each group, but rather make sure that your standard meal is HOME MADE and: meat + veggies (can be both steamed, green veggies - vary them) + some fat source. And then you make sure your food is squeeky squeeky clean. And no cheating and so on. 

Once I wrapped my head around it, it blew my mind how uncomplicated this actually is. The trick is consistency and not falling of the track, though. 

You could actually work in sweet potatoes on a keto day too - how much? Well, if you don't go over, say, 50g of carbs for that day, you'll still be in ketosis.

• Well, "a serving" doesn't mean much. A handful of dried dates is not the same as a handful of blueberries for example. Apples and oranges in most cases. 

What it really boils down to is... food quality and limiting carbs (which happens automatically if you drop starch and fruit).

In your case I would stop worrying about calories from each group, but rather make sure that your standard meal is HOME MADE and: meat + veggies (can be both steamed, green veggies - vary them) + some fat source. And then you make sure your food is squeeky squeeky clean. And no cheating and so on. 

Once I wrapped my head around it, it blew my mind how uncomplicated this actually is. The trick is consistency and not falling of the track, though. 

You could actually work in sweet potatoes on a keto day too - how much? Well, if you don't go over, say, 50g of carbs for that day, you'll still be in ketosis.

I have worked out my routine and  it is very simple, I am sticking to the left side of the foods all of the time, with a few exceptions. I am seeing the results which is what I want.

The steak and eggs I get is as clean as I can get, veggies are from the super market, its the best that can be achieved under the circumstances.

• I have heard it mentioned (not sure which one of the podcasts it is) that if you are happy with your body fat then the fruit portions suggested on the green side of the chart are ok to eat but if you are looking to lose weight and body fat (like me) then you should avoid fruit all together. Please correct me if I am wrong as I have had no fruit since December as a result. Well, aside from avocados but I don't think they really count, do they?

"Fruit is just glucose wrapped in pulp".

• I avoid fruits for now because my gut microbiology gets crazy (or im more sensetive to it nowadays) with to much fructose.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • Sometimes it's not the fructose, per se.  I used to love the heck out of apples even though they kind of upset my stomach. I think some kind of fiber that's in them is really irritating to me, moreso than say, grapes or melons or pineapple or mango. Those are all fine, even though they all are high fructose.

Bananas are some of the lowest fructose sweet fruits, I think (if ripe).

I avoid fruits for now because my gut microbiology gets crazy (or im more sensetive to it nowadays) with to much fructose.

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

the riper the banana, the higher the glycemic index

They're loaded with delicious lies. 

No sorcery, just science. 

• Yeah, if you eliminate fruit and use broccoli, celery, and cauliflower to fill up, you'll be 5-10% carb and very satiated.

And it's "fruit is fructose wrapped in pulp"- much harder to process.

Thanks for the suggestion however, the 3 notorious items you mention - broccoli, celery, and cauliflower are the most disgusting items in for my palate, I almost vomit at the smell of broccoli and Cauliflower whenever my wife dares to cook them in the house ...

My treat before the end of the eating period before 8 PM is 125g of blueberries or raspberries