Monsanto And Gmo

i listen to the  http://www.noagendashow.com/   podcast with Adam Curry and John C Devorak, he loves to watch how monsanto is working with the goverment schills to stop branding of products as gmo, i know Dave talks alot about it as well, is their a indepentent site that talks about safe foods? i want to find out if their is a list of non-gmo manufactures who also test for microtoxins?

"I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them."
– Isaac Asimov

Comments

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

Side note: to me, controlling food supply is the absolute height of evil in the world. 

No sorcery, just science. 

• Side note: to me, controlling food supply is the absolute height of evil in the world.

Along with medical patents imo
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]

Too true.

• If you are on Facebook, hit like on the "Millions Against Monsanto" page.  They post a lot of articles, info about new bills that they are trying to get passed, and lists of the most likely suspects to avoid or to buy organic/local when you can.   Monsanto = evil cunts.  Just sayin.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I think they could go the other way and label things with "This product contains zero GMO products or derivatives."

That way, the GMO guys won't be able to use that label without getting sued at some point for fraud. They could even create a logo/brand system like Fair Trade. It could be a good workaround.

Dave mentioned on his latest podcast that he's not allowed to use "grass-fed" on his new batch of whey. It has to say "pastured" which has a much looser definition that can include grains.

• Dave mentioned on his latest podcast that he's not allowed to use "grass-fed" on his new batch of whey. It has to say "pastured" which has a much looser definition that can include grains.

:mad:

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

New FDA Deputy Commissioner in the US is an ex-VP from Monsanto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_R._Taylor

• edited February 2013

I think they could go the other way and label things with "This product contains zero GMO products or derivatives."

That way, the GMO guys won't be able to use that label without getting sued at some point for fraud. They could even create a logo/brand system like Fair Trade. It could be a good workaround.

A lot of products do have a voluntary GMO free label.....  I see them all the time.   But apparently even the ability to do THAT was a freaking fight.  UGH.    

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/09/18/fda-labeled-free-modification/

• David RDavid R
    edited February 2013

New FDA Deputy Commissioner in the US is an ex-VP from Monsanto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_R._Taylor

I am not surprised.

• FROM THE SIERRA CLUB   ...... FIGHT THA POWER Y'ALL!

https://secure3.convio.net/scnj/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1191&JServSessionIdr004=3vukcbyr0o.app333b

Dear Sarah,

We have a

right to know what is in our food, right?
    Currently there are NO labeling

requirements for products containing genetically modified (GM/GMOs)

ingredients. 

GMOs are created by transferring and inserting specific genetic material

from one organism to another.  GM crops are dangerous to the environment

because they require more pesticides, create “superweeds” and resistant pests,

and contaminate “regular” crops. They are forcing the control of food growing

into the hands of a few major agribusinesses that undercut local sustainable

and organic farming techniques. And there have been no good, independent

studies to show these foods are safe for our environment: “Trust us!” says Big

Ag Biotech.

But right now millions of New Jersey residents are eating and using GMO

products without knowing it; there has been an explosion of GMO products on

grocery shelves.  Most corn, soy, sugar beets, canola and cotton are now

genetically modified.  

Join New Jerseyians saying “Let me decide!”  Call on the

members of the Senate Health Committee to vote yes
    on a bill to require the

mandatory labeling of GM foods in their Committee meeting Monday. 

Thanks for all you do,

NJ Chapter Staff

• Dave mentioned on his latest podcast that he's not allowed to use "grass-fed" on his new batch of whey. It has to say "pastured" which has a much looser definition that can include grains.

I've heard complaints to this effect before, and typically i just think the manufacturer/producer/marketer of the product was bullied by the FDA and tucked their tale.  

(as-in, if *I* had a line of product I could prove was grass-fed, and they told me i couldn't write that lest shittier producers look inferior by comparison, i'd tell them to EAD, would release my line as i saw fit, and make them battle me publicly to stop me from printing that.  meh.

Yes the FDA has been infiltrated by monsanto (and many other huge agri and pharma concerns) for many many decades.  it saddens me when i consider how corrupt they are, despite holding their power (i'm of the mindset we shouldn't have any FDA-type org in the first place, whether for food or pharms, but IF we're gonna have one it should at least have some semblance of impartiality and concern for the public, not just a silly front that is actually a de facto insurance policy for large co's that truly do, in a semantic/literal sense, poison the people of this planet)

(note: good flick i saw recently on this, that reminded me after like years of forgetting monsanto even existed, was "the world according to monsanto".  def worth a watchin! )

• anybody seen this movie yet?

The World According to Monsanto

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1189345/

"I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them."
    – Isaac Asimov

• edited March 2013

GMO seeds having a kill gene that only allows for one growing cycle before basically terminating itself is what worries me.  Containment of a possible epidemic is their reason for incorporating it in the first place IMO.  It is their safe guard.

Farmers having to purchase a new batch of poison-resistant seeds from them each year is also troubling.  What happened to the ethical farmers?  If they have the kill gene, and GMO seeds blow into another farmers plot, it should only be there for one cycle.   Nature wanting to survive the kill gene is also an interesting sidebar.  

If it scares them enough to do this, it should scare everyone eating it.

If you have not watched this yet, I highly recommend it.  Juan Enriquez is someone I absorb like a sponge when a new video comes out.  His big picture thinking is awesome.  On a few subjects I disagree, but the value of his ideas (to me) remain as high as anyone I can think of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF1pbtu1s3E

He speaks of this subject very briefly and subtly at around the 11 minute mark.  The entire video is excellent. 

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • edited March 2013

This was interesting.  It bothers me and I consider it evil when a company can patent modified nature.  To control the food and medicine supply for profit is pure evil and greed.  I love how India does not recognize such manners.  Knowing your enemy is always good, but at the same time there is a lot more hysteria than may be provable.  Much like the hysteria surrounding most drugs. Here are some quotes...

"More than 400 million acres of genetically engineered (GE) crops have been grown in more than three dozen countries around the world. Plants produced in this way—also known as “genetic modification,” or GM—constitute the most rapidly adopted agricultural technology in history. Over three trillion servings of foods with GE ingredients have been consumed, and in almost 20 years of experience with GE crops, there has not been a single confirmed instance of harm to human health or disruption of an ecosystem."

"Virtually everyone in North America consumes food that contains genetically engineered ingredients daily, inasmuch as they’re contained in practically every product made with corn oil, high-fructose corn syrup or other corn products, canola oil, soybean oil or soy protein."

Full article here...

http://www.genengnews.com/gen-articles/anti-genetic-engineering-activism-why-the-bastards-never-quit/4779/

Seeing through the chaotic.