Healthy Cooking Oil

What are the best for cooking?

I've been using Safflower, but not certain its that good. 

Thoughts?

Comments

• Pierre EklundPierre Eklund pierre.eklund@gmail.com
    edited February 2013
    Don't use fat for cooking, put it in when you are done cooking for low oxidation.

I use my halogen oven for meats or a pan with some water. Use low or medium heat.

Steam or dry sauté veggies on low or medium heat.

Try to avoid making stuff brown by heating.

Oh and don't use safflower oil.

Try some recipes from Dave's cookbook called "Upgraded chef" and you will get hang of it.
    Please email me instead of PM

pierre.eklund@gmail.com
  • I use coconut oil for most of my cooking - veggies, meat, fish - in my opinion, it adds amazing flavor to the food 

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭

Drop safflower oil. Use coconut oil instead if you are going to cook in oil.

• StinkoStinko
    edited February 2013

Thanks for the feedback.

Is coconut oil the only recommended oil?

I know that they market Safflower Oil as "healthy" : http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/saffoil.htm

Where would you personally rank Safflower Oil? One of the worst? A few steps down from the best? And why is it bad? 

Also where do find the most economical place to get your Coconut Oil? 

So far this place seems to be the best bang for buck I've found.

http://www.pureformulas.com/coconut-oil-112-oz-by-omega-nutrition.html?CUSTOMTRACKING=CUSTOMTRACKING&CAWELAID=1281252369&catargetid=1811371650&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNS8x9zQyrUCFYdxQgodqCQAsw#sthash.VMhDQkZR.dpbs

Thanks again for all the feedback.  :-P

Edit: Never-mind on the why Safflower is unhealthy; I found a few resources covering the negatives of all vegetable seed oils. 

edited February 2013

Thanks for the feedback.

Is coconut oil the only recommended oil?

I know that they market Safflower Oil as "healthy" : http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/saffoil.htm

Where would you personally rank Safflower Oil? One of the worst? A few steps down from the best? And why is it bad? 

Also where do find the most economical place to get your Coconut Oil? 

So far this place seems to be the best bang for buck I've found.

http://www.pureformulas.com/coconut-oil-112-oz-by-omega-nutrition.html?CUSTOMTRACKING=CUSTOMTRACKING&CAWELAID=1281252369&catargetid=1811371650&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNS8x9zQyrUCFYdxQgodqCQAsw#sthash.VMhDQkZR.dpbs

Thanks again for all the feedback.  :-P

Edit: Never-mind on the why Safflower is unhealthy; I found a few resources covering the negatives of all vegetable seed oils. 

Yeah, it's due to high PUFA content. You don't want to heat PUFAs, especially with high heat like that. Another option for cooking is butter, but coconut oil can take higher heat. There are some other more esoteric oils like Macadamia and Palm oil that might work as well. 

That coconut oil should be good.

• ...Weird, according to the chart on the back of the Saffola oil there's a chart that show the Polyunsaturated fats are very low at 2 grams per 14 grams.....much lower than the corn oil's 8 per 14.......

According to the chart its the same amount as Olive Oil.......so why Olive better than Safflower?

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Safflower oil has no omega 3, so it has a ratio of 1:infinity, while olive has some omega 3 with a ratio of about 1:20, plus olives are a normal food source.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,

...Weird, according to the chart on the back of the Saffola oil there's a chart that show the Polyunsaturated fats are very low at 2 grams per 14 grams.....much lower than the corn oil's 8 per 14.......

According to the chart its the same amount as Olive Oil.......so why Olive better than Safflower?

You are not really getting it. You don't want to heat ANY PUFAs. Particularly not to cooking temps.

Olive oil is not a good staple cooking oil either. For salads and stuff - perfectly fine.

In general, though, you want to minimize PUFA consumption. 

• RodRod The Rodfather
    edited April 2015

You have 2 options, Coconut oil or MCT oil. =) 

Updated: Cocount oil, Butter/Ghee/, and Lard (Beef/Pork)

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions Consultwithrod@live.com 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

You have 2 options, Coconut oil or MCT oil. =) 

more recent info/comments on cooking with coconut oil or mct oil in this BP thread; cooking-with-mct-oil (...may not be such a good idea)

fake it till you make it

• what about ghee?  this has been my preferred choice lately.

• Coconut oil isn't good for cooking at all. It smokes and burns when you cook with it. Just melt the coconut oil on afterwards. Cook veggies with steam/water  or leave them raw then add the fats. Cook meat with it's own fats.

Do not take anything I say here as medical advice.

• You can use animal fat. Ideal is rendered fat from grass-fed cows. I use occasionally purified rendered cow's fat for deep-frying (not a bp approved way of cooking). It's healthier than olive oil despite a small amount of trans fats. Safflower oil is high in arachidonic acid, a PUFA. All unsaturated fats will form very toxic oxidation products when heated. It's the reason that I never buy french fries, prefer to make them myself from fresh potatoes.

Of the vegetable oils, only coconut oil, mct or xct will do. You can use butter or ghee, but not for really high temperatures.
  • Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man
    edited March 2015

Avocado oil.

This one is available at Costco: http://avoliowa.com.au/in one liter bottles for $10. Definitely more mild than extra virgin olive oil but no problems using it to cook popcorn on the stove. Quite green in color.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015

Of the vegetable oils, only coconut oil, mct or xct will do. 

That's why i linked to that other thread above...apparently cooking with mct (xct) is is a bad idea

(see other thread " Just to confirm that cooking with MCT Oil is a BIG no no. It`s been said to have a low smoke point that is carcinogenic. Don`t be tempted! ")

fake it till you make it

• edited October 11

Coconut oil is the best option, just make sure it is Extra Virgin & cold pressed. I currently use this https://amazon.co.uk/TIANA%C2%AE-Trade-Organics-Virgin-Coconut/dp/B003VJQFR4/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1507715005&sr=8-1&keywords=tiana+coconut+oil

You can also you it for your hair, body - as i use it for cooking and my hair.

• @Danno Red said:
    Avocado oil.

This one is available at Costco: http://avoliowa.com.au/in one liter bottles for $10. Definitely more mild than extra virgin olive oil but no problems using it to cook popcorn on the stove. Quite green in color.

need to try out Avocado oil next!