Blood Results In, Not Good.

So I got my results back, and my LDL is basically what it was when I was a big fatty 2 months ago, a little less.

Here's my figures in the format mg/dl (mmol/l)

77 days ago

Total Cholesterol: 290 (7.5)

Trig: 115.2 (1.3)

VLDL: 23.2 (0.6)

LDL: 239.8 (6.2)

HDL: 46.4 (1.2)

After 21 Day water fast followed by 19 days raw vegan

Total Cholesterol: 150.8 (3.9)

Trig:  97.4 (1.1)

VLDL: 19.3 (0.5)

LDL:  96.7 (2.5)

HDL: 34.8 (0.9)

After 33 Days on BPIF

Total Cholesterol: 274.6 (7.1)

Trig: 124 (1.4)

VLDL: 23.2 (0.6)

LDL: 205 (5.3)

HDL: 46.4 (1.2)

I'm pretty disappointed. I've followed the BPIF very strictly, and have enjoyed it, and have taken a shit load of NKO krill oil, and was hoping for higher HDL and lower LDL.

Dave mentioned in the podcast that the raw vegan lifestyle isn't good long term, but I'm thinking of switching back to that and making BPIF the thing I do occasionally, rather than the other way around.

Unless you guys have some good reasons not to, I'm gonna probably finish out my week and switch back to raw vegan for a bit.

Thanks,

Mikey

p.s.

I hope you guys have some advice that can help me to keep on this lifestyle choice. I really want this BPIF to work and help me to stay healthy.

Comments

• edited February 2013

So does anyone have any info on how to make my BP IF ketonic in order to lower LDL? Thanks.

p.s. I thought I was in ketosis already, but maybe I should just eat steaks and butter instead of the Lamb Cumin loafs which have some carrot, leek, and bok choy in it too.

• RodRod The Rodfather

Are you still loosing weight? I would be worried about going Vegan, did you see how low your HDL was? Your T.C is the highest for all cause mortality when on Vegan too. My first questions is, are you still loosing weight? 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• edited February 2013

Rod, yep, stil losing weight. What do you suggest I do?

p.s. In reading about cholesterol on the links above, I think I may have freaked out and overreacted in my original post.

• RodRod The Rodfather
    edited February 2013

Yes, if your loosing weight, that's why your LDL is higher. How much grass fed Beef and butter do you eat? I was able to shoot my HDL from 60 to 106 in like 3-4 months of eating lot's of Beef and Butter. My total cholesterol was 270. I honestly would not worry about it if your Trigs are low and your loosing belly fat. Wait till you normalize then check it. 

How about your other tests? Any info on them? 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• edited February 2013

I drink around 90-110g of grass-fed butter with my coffee in the morning. And I've been eating around 250g of grassfed lamb each day, and on other days around 200-500g of grassfed beef (steak cooked to medium-rare) with around 50g of gfb on it and some mct, and some cumin and oregano and salt.

The lamb is eaten in a lamb and cumin loaf as per Dave's cookbook Upgraded Chef, so it has 4 egg whites, 3 carrots, 1 leek, and the stems of 1 bok choy, along with the lamb.

I will post the other figures, but they are in Australian measurements which is mmol/L so I don't know if anyone will understand them. Everything else is within normal range though.

My liver went from being fatty to being healthy again though, even under raw vegan it was fatty.

ALT went from 68 U/L to 19 U/L (healthy range is <55)

Vit D (25 OH) is 39.26 ng/ml or 98 mmol/L

Mg is 2.238 mg/dL or 0.92 mmol/L

p.s. I misread the stuff my cholesterol readings and have updated them above including Trig and VLDL.

• Mikey, I just got my blood work results too and my cholesterol is 444.  holy crap! 

You can see the deets in a separate post.

• New Yorker, holy crap man. After extensive reading I'm not so fussed about it, I would like to bring it down, and am going to try to reduce the amount of carbs I have in my diet (carrots, bok choy and leeks in my loafs) in order to stay super ketonic and see how that affects things, I will test myself again in a month and see.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Mikey you do know on a biological level since you are losing weight you are releasing trigs and some cholesterol into your bloodstream (http://paleohacks.com/questions/133661/weight-loss-and-raised-cholesterol). When your liver turned from fatty to normal you released a lot of store cholesterol as well. Also Krill oil hasn't been studied for the cholesterol changing properties as well as fish oil therefore fish oil should be used for most people and krill oil should only ,mostly be used for inflammation problems like arthritis.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• edited February 2013

Thanks for the paleohacks link Ron, I am coming to an understanding that while I'm losing weight it will be raised and am not super concerned (still a little concerned) anymore, but still would like to modify my BP IF to manage my LDL a little.

Having said that, I was still losing weight on the Raw Vegan Diet but my trigs and cholesterol were fine.

The fatty liver producing cholesterol on it's release is also interesting, so I will try look into that.

Are you sure about the krill oil? There's a study here by NIH that says otherwise: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15656713

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

90 days is the rule of thumb to normalize to the diet. 

Your raw numbers do not mean a whole lot.  What you need to focus on are your ratios.  Your HDL/TOTAL CHOLESTEROL should ideally be above 25%.  You are almost there on this number so I would just stick to it.  This is a good sign since this ratio is an indication of the general state of inflammation in your body.  If you have low inflammation than your body is not dispatching its cholesterol to "patch up" this inflammation.

Another important number is trig/HDL ratio.  This is ideally below 2 and you are higher on this.  I would run your numbers again after 90 days and don't worry about it in the mean time.  Don't forget your numbers can be affected what you had to eat recently. 

Your total cholesterol is going to be high on this diet, its a given.  Its important to not get lost in this fact and focus on your ratios.

50 percent of the people who are hospitalized with heart attacks have normal cholesterol levels, and 25 percent of people who develop premature heart disease have no traditional risk factors at all.

As you stick to the diet and your inflammation continues to decrease your numbers will creep more and more towards ideal.  Hang in there!

• edited February 2013

Thanks Mark!

I'll keep at it then and test again at the 90 day mark.

While I do though, what kinda things can I do to promote HDL and demote LDL?

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Just focus on reducing inflammation and being on point with your nutrition.