Bombed Cholesterol Test (=444) And Developed Sluggish Thyroid

newyorkernewyorker
edited February 2013 in The Bulletproof Diet

People, please help me understand!  I am shocked by my blood test results that I got today.  I realize that I am not the first person on this site to get whacky blood work results but my numbers are really crazy.  Total Cholesterol went up to 444 from 269 since June 2011 and up from 193 in 2008 (when I ate bread every day).  Also, my thyroid has become sluggish.  TSH went up from 1.43 to 2.84.  A1C test shows 5.3 which is not ideal either.

One bright spot was that Vitamin D was 81 ng/ml. 

I am 31, female and weigh 144lbs.  Lost 10 pounds since the beginning of December.  Don't have a history of high cholesterol in the family.

I did rapid fat loss per David's regiment for 3 weeks from Jan 1 this year and then ate normal BP with IF for 3 weeks before doing this blood test.  I have been eating lots of liver, beef and butter and cod liver oil and staying away from inflammatory foods.  Don't eat sugar besides a few pieces of chocolate.  No fruit.  Eat primarily grass-fed beef and fish.

My doctor says that my liver function is fine and that I should retest in 3 months again.  He suggested taking digestive enzyme bromelain, iodine, selenium, probiotics and prebiotics.

Could stress and/or rapid fat loss have increased my cholesterol and gotten thyroid out of whack so much? 

Comments

• Was this test done fasted?

Do you take iodine and selenium?  

• RodRod The Rodfather

Well, per your test, your LDL is large buoyant pattern which is a good thing and does not contribute to CHD or CVD. Some people have a high level of cholesterol and are not at any risk. If you lost and are loosing weight, your system is still flooded with cholesterol. You need to let your body weight stabilize. From what I understand, a thyroid issue of some sort can contribute to cholesterol levels. I would not be worried, may just need a small fix with selenium and iodine. 

What's a lot of liver, butter/cod oil?  5.3 A1C is still considered normal. Get a blood glucose meter and test often but If you are loosing fat, I wouldn't be worried. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013

Increased coritsol levels from stress combined with a ketogenic diet can cause the sluggish thyroid due to adrenal fatigue causing an imbalance in the Pituitary - Hypothalamus - Thyroid - Adrenal system in the body. Go to www.drlam.com to understand why.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• ... If you lost and are loosing weight, your system is still flooded with cholesterol. You need to let your body weight stabilize. ...

This.

Its talked about in the book wheat belly.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • RodRod The Rodfather

Your TSH is also indicating a deficiency of Selenium and Iodine, I just spend ample time researching this. I'm 100% based on my readings your TSH increase is contributing to LDL.  

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected]