23Andme Hacks

Did anyone find out anything that was really applicable for biohacking from 23andme raw data(!), not from their basic reports that mostly cover obvious things? Can you share the details?

I am more into things like methylation, collagen synthesis, etc.

Tagged:

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather

bump, i have raw data too.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• I learned 2 interesting things:

- I'm bad with caffeine, which I already knew experientially.

- I'm 3% neanderthal. Most people are 2.5%, so... yeah... I'm proud of that.

• Okay, I actually just used the raw data for the first time. I checked to see if I have any of the common mutations for MTHFR (re: folate metabolisim) and I don't have them!

Want the instructions?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I'm interested in doing the 23 and Me thing, is it worth the $99? Would you recommend it?

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

I learned 2 interesting things:

- I'm bad with caffeine, which I already knew experientially.

- I'm 3% neanderthal. Most people are 2.5%, so... yeah... I'm proud of that.

UNGA BUNGA

• I'm interested in doing the 23 and Me thing, is it worth the $99? Would you recommend it?

It was a relief to learn my genetic health risks - they were much worse in my imagination!

Also, it was interesting in general. You learn lots of strange facoids about yourself, you find relatives... If you're into science you can look at your SNP's and figure things out that are not in the report (I did that for my folic acid metabolisim). Do it!

• Just curious, I've only read minimal amounts of this, but - metabolic typing. I'll have to look through my notes, but this guy on youtube (pro-strongman competitior, strength and conditioning coach, ex-steroid user turned holistic health weightlifter - Elliott Hulse) recommended a book on metabolic typing that is one of those science based, strongly cited books. Also, I take this mans recommendations seriously as he knows a vast amount of info due to all his self-education and experience. What I'm getting at, though, is do you think if you find out your "Global Origins" from 23andMe, you can alter your Bulletproof Diet to suit your metabolic type and/or genetic lineage? What if your ancestors were a meat and potatoes kind of people up until one generation ago, and now you aren't eating that way? Or what if for thousands of years up until your grandparents your people were eating primarily tubers and berries with some wild game, and now your on a strict keto (bulletproof style) diet?

Do you think you can use this to your advantage, or make switches to your diet?

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• Good question!

Unless your origins are from South America, then you didn't have potatoes. Potatoes came to Europe just a few hundreds years ago. That doesn't count since we've been basically like this gene-wise, for 200 thousand years.

If you do have origins in South America, then maybe you should investigate - I know tubers were there forever, but were they a staple food forever or not?

My origins are mostly North European, but I thrive on Avocados and coconuts... so, I dunno. I like your thinking, and I'll probably think about it some more and do some food-experimenting with it in mind, but I bet that it's not a big factor for me.

• Yeah I agree with you for the most part. Right now I'm just trying to go 100% green on the bulletproof diet, and right now I'm doing incredible amounts of research on Foundation Training/Corrective stretching/and related topics, so I can't look into metabolic typing - but I'm going to definitely look into that afterwards. I know Dave speaks heavily on experimenting on what's right for YOU as an individual (such as raw dairy and what not), so I definitely believe the Bulletproof diet should only serve as a template, rather than a specific regiment to follow. Therefore I believe people may do best on different foods, just with a bulletproof spin (organic/highest quality/still consuming healthy fats/non-denatured substances/etc.). I come from central-ish Europe (Romania, Poland, and Russia) - I'm not quite familiar with the foods consumed there (not modern foods, but historically speaking), but I assume it would be seasonal and also depending on the specific area of each country (some are colder than others).

Right now I consume mixed fats - coconut oil, kerrygold butter, avocado, animal fat... But for the prices right now on an extremely tight budget I think I'm going to strictly consume kerrygold butter and avocado's.

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• Just got my 23 and me results in and uploaded it to https://www.promethease.com  to get even more data. Can someone help me interpret them? 

• Stevo - I believe it is definitely worth it.  While it may not cause you to make a behavior change I found even the basic the information very valuable.  I learned two things that each justify the cost in my mind. (1)that I am significantly pre-disposed to Alzheimers and now work a bit harder to stave off mental decline as I age, and (2) I have an allele that will generate a false positive to a Tay-Sachs blood test.  I'm about to marry a Jewish girl and if we had both tested positive as Tay-Sachs carriers I'm not sure I would go through with it.  Simply avoiding the horrible anxiety of that one day is worth $100 to me.