Bulletproof Berry Muffins

Bulletproof Berry Muffins

My wife found this on one of the Paleo sites, sounds bulletproof (or close to it)

All measurements in metric cup (250g)

Use Organic ingredients/Pastured (eggs) where possible

2 X Cups Almond Meal

1/2 Cup Coconut Oil or Grass Fed Butter

1/3 Cup Stevia (more if you want it sweeter)

1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Salt

1/2 teaspoon of Baking powder

4 X Eggs

Mix, put into buttered muffin tin so it does not stick

Add Raspberries, Blueberries or blackberries

Bake until light brown

Enjoy, any comments / constructive suggestions welcome

Tagged:

Comments

• The only thing I can think of is baking it at a low temperature so the nut fats don't oxidize.  But this is making me really hungry :-P

• What about coconut flour instead of almond meal?
  • Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    edited February 2013

Almond flour is bad, it's one of the most unfortunate bastardizations of paleo from people that can't give up unhealthy food habits, and need to find alternates so they can maintain their old paradigms.

Reasons: probably rancid(unknown processing and previous storage/handling), bad omega 3 to 6 ratio (the more you eat the more inflammation you get)

Adding to Jason here, one of the main things that separates us from Regular paleo is almond meal.  Don't go down that road, there is a reason it is a substitute for wheat, it is because they are so alike in our inflammation and the like.  I don't even eat almonds as one of the nuts in my diet.  From wikipedia:

Baking powder is a dry chemical leavening agent, a mixture of a weak alkali and a weak acid, and is used to increase the volume and lighten the texture of baked goods. Baking powder works by releasing carbon dioxide gas into a batter or dough through an acid-base reaction, causing bubbles in the wet mixture to expand and thus leavening the mixture. It is used instead of yeast for end-products where fermentation flavors would be undesirable[1] or where the batter lacks the elastic structure to hold gas bubbles for more than a few minutes.[2] Because carbon dioxide is released at a faster rate through the acid-base reaction than through fermentation, breads made by chemical leavening are called quick breads.

Most commercially available baking powders are made up of an alkaline component (typically sodium bicarbonate, also known as baking soda), one or more acid salts (such as tartaric acid), and an inert starch (cornstarch in most cases, though potato starch may also be used). Baking soda is the source of the carbon dioxide,[3] and the acid-base reaction can be generically represented as[4]

NaHCO3 + H+ â†’ Na+ + CO2 + H2O

The inert starch serves several functions in baking powder. Primarily it is used to absorb moisture, and thus prolong shelf life by keeping the powder's alkaline and acidic components dry so as not to react with each other prematurely. A dry powder also flows and mixes more easily. Finally, the added bulk allows for more accurate measurements.[5]

This goes on and gets less and less appetizing which is another thing that keeps me from making baked goods all the time.

Now a solution is to use sweet potato as an item to retain moisture and still use the baking powder.  But once again, even in small amounts, why add that kind of party to your Gut Biome Residential Neighborhood.

I might even try this with a sweet potato substitution, but i hardly make baked goods so one day I'll tell you when I get there.  

Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

I can just see you in a kitchen with an apron and mitts on!!  :-P

No sorcery, just science.