Rice

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Bulletproof-Diet-Grains.jpg

So the illustrated guide gives the impression that brown, black, and wild rice are healthier than white rice, but brown rice seems to hinder protein absorbtion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

Should I switch to wild and/or black rice?

Comments

• I've also been wondering about this, Because if I ever eat out with the wife, My go to food is salmon and avocado sushi, because I THOUGHT it was healthy? And because I do intense cardio 4 days a week I was told by a trainer to eat rice as a staple.

But I'm not so sure if its Bulletproof?

- Rotary Enthusiast: "Brap brap said the rotary!"

• Rice is inflammatory.

WHAT?!?!? clearly I have not been reading the forum enough and still don't know enough about this diet. this statement freightens me.

It's my understanding that until your body gets used to burning fat, and until your body weight levels out, eating grass fed butter WILL make your cholesterol spike. it's also my understanding that the body uses cholesterol to heal inflammation?

So if I'm eating copious amounts of grass fed butter AND copious amounts of rice, am I increasing my risk of heart problems???

I have been avoid everything in the red section of this pdf, and eating mostly in the middle for everything, but eating right up the top of the green for proteins. white rice was in the middle so I have been eating it. Clearly this was wrong.

what foods should we be absolutely no questions asked avoiding to be bulletproof? all types of wheat? (including rice flour products which I have also been eating a lot)

I'm very worried I've been harming myself with my food choices now.........

• Thank you as always for the information!

• That's where bp differs from paleo, paleo is 0 grain, you don't notice you feel puffy or shitty the next day after sushi or rice? I just use it on refeed days and even then it's 1cup max.

Go to nutritionaldata.self.com and look up white rice, there will be a graphic on the right hand side that shows inflammation factor, 1cup cooked white long grain rice is -169, 1cup sweet potato boiled is +505, daily goal is +50/day. From this example we can decern that as you eat throughout the day, your inflammation factor rises a falls with the foods you eat, if rice is the only inflammatory food you eat then you probably end up in positive territory, so live in balance my friend.

What does your refeed look like? Last week I tried it with just white rice (I only eat vegetables for carbs all other days) and I had to eat a cup (measured uncooked) to get between 100 and 150 grams of carbs.
  • I don't know I have heard dave say a little white rice wont kill You...I never feel shitty if I have 1 bowl with My sashimi

• I save my white rice consumption for when I eat sushi.  Otherwise I eat yams, sweet potatoes and low sugar fruit after lifting weights.

• sweet potato so/so (average gi), fruit no/no (fruit is stupid),  you want something that assimilates fast after a workout (dextrose (high gi, pure glucose), rice (high gi), honey (above average gi, glucose/fructose)), unless your workouts are ho/hum, then protein will suffice.

I agree with your sentiments, but within the context of my goals I think it's working for me.  Without worrying about post workout nutrition I still gain muscle.   

My goal is to maintain lean muscle mass, while losing fat.  If I stall out, I'll rework what I'm doing.

My fruit consumption could be characterized as a condiment sized portion and my sushi is a special occasion thing.

Perhaps in the future I should give more context so people don't take my practices as dogma.

• I was wondering the same thing, and this thread has answered my questions.  Thanks.  I'll have to phase out the rice and increase the sweet potato.

• So wait, sweet potatoes are better overall (as far as starchy foods go)?

• David RDavid R
    edited February 2013

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Bulletproof-Diet-Grains.jpg

So the illustrated guide gives the impression that brown, black, and wild rice are healthier than white rice, but brown rice seems to hinder protein absorbtion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

Should I switch to wild and/or black rice?

That is an old infographic.  Dave likes white rice as one of the lower toxin starches, right behind sweet potatoes and yams.  Starches are best after workouts and in the evening.  Add them to your diet once or twice a week.  I just listen to the BP podcast with John Kiefer and they discussed carbs a lot.

• That is an old infographic.  Dave likes white rice as one of the lower toxin starches, right behind sweet potatoes and yams.  Starches are best after workouts and in the evening.  Add them to your diet once or twice a week.  I just listen to the BP podcast with John Kiefer and they discussed carbs a lot.

Oh, okay.  Where can I find a newer infographic?

• David RDavid R
    edited March 2013

Oh, okay.  Where can I find a newer infographic?

I know the 3.0 infographic is in the Upgraded Chef Cookbook.  You can buy the PDF version for like 10 bucks.  I think the Better Baby Book has it as well.

• AblettAblett
    edited March 2013
    Rice contains arsenic, check out my new thread.
  • RodRod The Rodfather

Rice contains arsenic, check out my new thread.

I responded to your thread. White rice will be fine, amount of arsenic is very low (and old news =) ). 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• YamabuYamabu
    edited March 2013

Never ate rice on Paleo, partly because it made me feel like I needed a nap...decided to try some today on BP,  to get carbs in system for Crossfit. Hour after eating, really had strong desire to put head down on desk at work... felt vey tired. Why did this happen?.. some sort of sugar repsonse.? Similar to horrible/sleepy feeling I have after wheat....?

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

Rice is inflammatory, it's good to use as a tool (refeeds) but should be avoided, a grain is a grain and we don't eat grains. I don't think the scale is suggesting rice is "green" in the entirety of the diet, the scale is comparing grain against grain.

In what way is rice inflammatory?

• StinkoStinko
    edited March 2013

This same site also lists 2 tbsp of coconut oil about 100 points more informatory than 1 cup of rice..................sooooooo yeah..... 

That's where bp differs from paleo, paleo is 0 grain, you don't notice you feel puffy or shitty the next day after sushi or rice? I just use it on refeed days and even then it's 1cup max.

Go to nutritionaldata.self.com and look up white rice, there will be a graphic on the right hand side that shows inflammation factor, 1cup cooked white long grain rice is -169, 1cup sweet potato boiled is +505, daily goal is +50/day. From this example we can decern that as you eat throughout the day, your inflammation factor rises a falls with the foods you eat, if rice is the only inflammatory food you eat then you probably end up in positive territory, so live in balance my friend.

• StinkoStinko
    edited March 2013

On a side note, "Wild Rice" is quite low on glycemic load, and inflammation factor by comparison.

Also interesting; they list Yams as an inflammatory, and sweet potatoes as very anti-inflammatory. I usually see both of them lumped together as pretty much interchangeable.

But not so I guess...if its true..

• Since I seem to have reactivate this thread... pls allow me to narrow my question even more:

When I "carb-up" with sweet potatoes (1 large), white or orange, I feel like "king-kong" ... muscles full of glycogen, ready to attack weights/WOD. Conversely, when I eat same amount of rice (both with butter).. I feel like a nap, and irritable (inflamed?) -- just like I feel when eating 2 slices of bread.

I think the GI of white rice and sweet potatoes is both around, 70, although I think GI of sweet potatoes can be around 50 if cooked lightly...

Appreciate the discussion!

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

Since I seem to have reactivate this thread... pls allow me to narrow my question even more:

When I "carb-up" with sweet potatoes (1 large), white or orange, I feel like "king-kong" ... muscles full of glycogen, ready to attack weights/WOD. Conversely, when I eat same amount of rice (both with butter).. I feel like a nap, and irritable (inflamed?) -- just like I feel when eating 2 slices of bread.

I think the GI of white rice and sweet potatoes is both around, 70, although I think GI of sweet potatoes can be around 50 if cooked lightly...

Appreciate the discussion!

Try it again and make a decision. Feel bad after eating something = don't eat it. Simple as that.

• Super NinjaSuper Ninja Master of Stealth
    White rice is a staple for me but I'd only have a small amount of it though which is about 70-90g at the most per day. My daily carb intake doesn't exceed approx 50g so I'm still in ketosis. Even on re-feed days I won't increase the amount of rice but instead I'll have another carb like sweet potato.

Everything' better with butter...and bacon!

• What's the deal with WILD rice?  I was reading just now that it's not a grain, it's a grass

• To shake this thread up a bit, here's some fairly new research on the effect of a coffee percolator in removing arsenic from rice: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33638321

Later in the article:

You would have to choose your percolator carefully. On grounds of practicality, "a stove-top percolator would not work", Meharg admits. It would have to be a drip-brewer. The researchers found it took 20 minutes to prepare white rice in this way and 40 minutes for brown rice.