Bulletproof Weight Training

Bulletproof weight training

I discovered the bulletproof "system" just 2 weeks ago and your information has been an eye-opener. Thanks. I have a lot to learn.

I'm currently living in South America where good butter and beef are readily available. MCT not yet been found and (strangely) coconut oil is very difficult to find. Coffee quality questionable, but I'm adding 50g butter + 1 tbsp coconut oil to each of the 2 mugs I drink for breakfast. I don't get a buzz, so I guess it's not good coffee.

(In 3 months I'll be in a more accessible region and able to buy bulletproof coffee, MCT, supplements, books, etc.)

12 weeks ago I started weight training 3x weekly, as it's too hot for outdoor sport. My personal trainer put me on a high protein and high carbohydrate diet, eating MUCH more that I usually do. I have been building some muscle, but also creating a fat belly.

I've now started to follow the bulletproof diet as closely as possible without telling my trainer.

I'm late 50s. I was 76-77kg when I started training, so I guess I'm now 80-85kg, judging by my waistline increase. Weight doesn't worry me but I want to get rid of my new belly and also gain muscle mass. I do like wine and beer.

I've reached approx. 55% of my daily calorie intake in fat. What carb intake would you suggest to balance my training? Sorry if that is a novice's question.

Feel free to ask me to elaborate on any further details needed and thanks in advance.

I am incredibly grateful for all those who dedicate their time and experience here in helping others. I once was able to do the same in several other fora, often spending hours on end answering questions, which in turn gave me great personal satisfaction. 

Comments

• Thanks, could you post it here (better for all to see) or Private Message it to me please? 

I am incredibly grateful for all those who dedicate their time and experience here in helping others. I once was able to do the same in several other fora, often spending hours on end answering questions, which in turn gave me great personal satisfaction. 

• Thanks. It looks very complete, although rather complex.

Anybody have a simpler way, even if less accurate please? I have no way to measure body fat where I am located.

Thanks.

• Yeah I agree. Jason, can you make me a personalized one? Also, can you pick up my laundry? 

• I'm sorry, but did I offend anybody?

I've just come across bulletproof and what I have read is so convincing that I have started following it as closely as I could ASAP.

I did mention that I'm in a remote location. The guy at the gym has heard of a fat monitor but doubts whether they are available in this country. I've not been successful. There is no postal service. FedEx would cost several hundred $ to receive a small package containing a $3 manual device or $40 electronic device, which frankly seems a waste for my remaining 3 months here.

Dave's website is excellent and has an overload of info and I've only just started with the over 40 hours of webcast. That is why I reached out to this forum. There are surely other athletes around who might have a constructive comment to my initial question?

• Thanks, Jason.That's a great help to get up to speed quickly and save wasting the benefits of my training by having to wait until I've read more of the literature. 

Sorry I couldn't write before. It was raining and no Internet - that happens here!

• Jason,

Do you know which protein and fast carb supplements are bulletproof please? I'm new, even to supplements.

Thanks

• Didn't Dave suggest that carbs post workout wasn't that necessary in episode 15?

Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • dietgoaldietgoal
    edited August 2013

Didn't Dave suggest that carbs post workout wasn't that necessary in episode 15?

The more knowledgeable here will no doubt correct me, but I see this admirable work by Dave as a "work in progress."

I'm therefore listening to the podcasts (mostly) chronologically and have not yet reached #15.

Jason (above) suggests carbs after workouts.

• dietgoaldietgoal
    edited March 2013

Jason Miller

>>>"by before I mean right after the last workout"

I'm not sure whether I understand that.

• dietgoaldietgoal
    edited April 2013

Jason,

I'm trying to correlate your template in post #2 above and the diet you proposed in post #8 above.

Your template is very limiting regarding fat intake (I mean good fat, like coconut oil). In my case with 14 blocks about 72g fat. To maintain that, I can only have 1 mug of BP coffee, 1 tbsp coco oil and 25g butter daily. 

Your proposed diet on the other hand, would suggest up to 94g fat. Any problems with that or even exceeding it? It would allow me to consume much more coconut oil and resume eating avocados, which is very difficult if the "good" fat intake is so severely restricted.

Thanks

• Thanks. As a test, I just put 18 blocks into my spreadsheet and it makes quite a difference!

I have to go to Brasil next week, so I can maybe get some MCT. I'm also going to stop eating lunch at restaurants. It's easier to control the diet.