Best Dark Chocolate ?

Im in the UK. Best Dark Chocolate? I think the ones I eat are waaaaaaay too high in Sugar

Comments

• I heard Dave say Lindt 85% was the best he could find, but he may have been in Canada at the time.  If you can't get that I would say go with something of 85% or more chocolate.

• There is a 99% version but I havent found higher than 90%. My chocolate hunger subsides after 4 squares, 3g sugars is worth it.
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

I can only find the 85% in Aus....

Jason, I can imagine that the 99% is nasty. I'll try the cocoa powder + butter tonight. Maybe with a bit of stevia and vanilla. 

I can just imagine the girlfriend now "YOU ATE A WHOLE BLOCK OF BUTTER WITH CHOCOLATE POWDER IN IT FOR DINNER???? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU????" 

No sorcery, just science. 

• I can only find the 85% in Aus....

Jason, I can imagine that the 99% is nasty. I'll try the cocoa powder + butter tonight. Maybe with a bit of stevia and vanilla. 

I can just imagine the girlfriend now "YOU ATE A WHOLE BLOCK OF BUTTER WITH CHOCOLATE POWDER IN IT FOR DINNER???? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU????" 

Add coconut oil and a touch of PHRS (ground fine into a powder).  The salt really does it for me.

• So the higher the percentage the less sugar ? Is that how it works ?I think I may have had 85% Lindt already. It's reasonably easy to get in the UK

• Yes the higher you go NORMALLY the lower sugar and of course higher are the benefits. 99% by its own is not really good, but try mixing it almond butter or something. The butter basically hides the bitter taste of the chocolate and makes a pretty good snack. Lindt is still the best around as i didnt fin any high % cocoa organic chocolate. It always is around 70% and the sugar content is pretty high
  • I've had the 99%, it's like battery acid, if you want to try it just mix cocoa powder into butter ( until its black) :)

Sounds like my salted chocolate balls.

100g butter

30g cocoa powder

1-2 tablespoon stevia or xylitol

1 tablespoon vanilla powder, not sugar.

1cl coffee (optional)

Ca: 1 cup of shredded coconut

Mix ingredients with your hands to a pretty solid block, make smaller balls out of it and role in shredded coconut.

photofeb24140641.jpg

[email protected]
  • I also make my own chocolate at same times.

First melt

8 tbsp-coconut oil

8 tbsp-chocolate butter

then ad:

4 tbsp- maca powder

4 tbsp-chocolate powder

1-tbsp honey (optional)

grounded nuts or some dry berries

Then but to freezer for 30 min

• Found a brand called AMMA  that is 100% ,it's all Organic,Kosher,harvested by people wearing Raw recycled hemp sandals above 3000 Ft. in Nicaragua

• Found a brand called AMMA  that is 100% ,it's all Organic,Kosher,harvested by people wearing Raw recycled hemp sandals above 3000 Ft. in Nicaragua

• I also make my own chocolate at same times.

First melt

8 tbsp-coconut oil

8 tbsp-chocolate butter

then ad:

4 tbsp- maca powder

4 tbsp-chocolate powder

1-tbsp honey (optional)

grounded nuts or some dry berries

Then but to freezer for 30 min

Think it will work without maca? Heard it has some toxin issues.

Source: http://peer.ccsd.cnrs.fr/docs/00/57/38/83/PDF/PEER_stage2_10.1080%252F02652030902774649.pdf

[email protected]
  • photomar03170356.jpg

This is how mine turned out :)

80g coconut oil

80g chocolate butter

3 tablespoons of cocoa powder

4 teaspoons of stevia (think I took too much)

Shredded coconut.

[email protected]
  • I buy 90% Lindt chocolate bars of amazon.com. 12 bars for $30 free shipping. I sometimes eat a whole bar with lunch. You think that's too much?
  • I buy 90% Lindt chocolate bars of amazon.com. 12 bars for $30 free shipping. I sometimes eat a whole bar with lunch. You think that's too much?

I'm reading more about this, but the lindt 90% has the cocoa powder processed with alkali, which I read reduces the benefits of the anti-oxidants in the chocolate. Others here could probably comment more and say how much it really matters. They don't use alkali on their 85% dark, though. I basically just went to whole foods and bought the three best looking high percentage chocolate bars based on the ingredients and will report back based on taste and ingredients.
  • Found 99% Lindt and bought a bar. Lindt package it the same size as their other bars but when I opened the box there was a liner box inside so felt a bit ripped off. I imagine although its in the same size box there's probably half as much chocolate and it seemed to cost 15% more than the other bars.

I eat 75-85% chocolate routinely and love the taste, but although this was 'only' a 14% max jump it really was a very different beast, I assume because of the decreased sugar. 

I liked it, but maybe i'll go back to around 80% even though it's not as bulletproof

• Doe's anyone no of a dark Choc that doesn't contain soy lecithin?

At most grocery stores near me the Lindt 90% bars are no more than $2.20 per bar.

• Does anyone know where to find those AMMA bars?  After doing a quick search they seem to be unavailable online and in the US except New York City.

• I know this is an old thread, just thought I would share since I have been on a hunt for GOOD tasting 90%-100% there are some that don't have the horrid bite that LINDT has or the soy lechtin

Here are a few nice 90% ones I have found 

Gnosis Chocolate Deeply Dark Bar -- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SR97LO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3R25LIUJE50KL&coliid=I11UVLISK5ZQSL

Very Very smooth 100%, Vivani (hint of burbon taste)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ESOV9Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3R25LIUJE50KL&coliid=I2HMGIJUQDEKPL

This is super expense but oh sooo divine!!!!! Pralus <3

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NFKWHI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3R25LIUJE50KL&coliid=I1069IJUIQ09KE

• That Vivani you linked is only 72% cacao. I have enjoyed their 85% though.

Another good one I tried recently is fearless. I I wish they were all as cheap as Lindt though
  • alter eco dark blackout http://www.alterecofoods.com/products/chocolate/dark-blackout

85%, no soy lecithin, delicious.

"4 INGREDIENTS 

Cacao beans, cocoa butter, raw cane sugar, vanilla beans"

• Eco Dark Blackout is yummy. The other brand I buy -- Endangered Species. 88% Dark -- Is also pretty good.

Mary

• That Vivani you linked is only 72% cacao. I have enjoyed their 85% though.

Another good one I tried recently is fearless. I I wish they were all as cheap as Lindt though

sorry about that i meant to link their 85%

Eco Dark Blackout is yummy. The other brand I buy -- Endangered Species. 88% Dark -- Is also pretty good.

yes the eco blackout is nice, so nice.

the endangered specias is tasty but has soy lechtien so i do try to avoid it
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I still eat Lindt. I eat less now than I did before; there was a point where I was eating an entire bar a day. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to eat that much. 85% and higher are pretty healthy, for the most part. But it's damn expensive to eat it in such volume. And the sugar content in the 85% does add up if you eat enough of it. I've tried a few other brands, but haven't found anything as consistently tasty, available and affordable as Lindt. I alternate between the 85% and the 90% myself. I find it much harder to eat more of the 90% haha. The 85% is like a dessert to me these days, so I keep it to half a bar, max.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• the cheapest bar at the natural grocers i go to is the alter eco 85%. it is good, but i actually like lindt's better, plus isn't the processing of lindt supposed to be better than most? sucks having to go to walmart to get it, but is good and super cheap and tasty. when i feel like spending a little more i get the vivani. when i feel like spending even more than that i'll maybe get the fearless stuff, cause its organic and raw. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Yeah, pretty sure the Lindt 85% isn't processed with alkali. The 90% is, however. IIRC.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I tried one of these bars recently and it is my favorite to date. http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Chocolate-Mint-Dark-Ounce/dp/B00FDM76KM/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1396843053&sr=1-1&keywords=divine+chocolate+peppermint

Also, I must get my hands on one of those Alter Eco blackout bars! They sound delicious.

• Doe's anyone no of a dark Choc that doesn't contain soy lecithin?

Viviani deliberately exclude lecithin from their chocolate. You can read about it here:

http://www.vivani-chocolate.de/Qualitaet_e.html

I personally prefer their 92% bar! Besides from being organic (i.e., non GMO and no strange ingredients) and european (implying stricter production limits), it tastes much better than Lindt's!

https://www.organicsupermarket.ie/shop/chocolate-snacks/vivani-92-dark-chocolate/

• Oh nice. I've enjoyed their 85% but didn't realize they have a 92%! I may have to order some cause I haven't seen it in stores around here.