Post Workout Nutrition

I've tried searching for this throughout the entire bulletproof site and community, but I can't seem to find any particular coherency when it comes to post workout nutrition. My question is this: what is the ultimimate post workout meal? I'm looking for measurements; how many grams etc. 

For some time I've been using regular whey protein and some dextrose for carbs, but I've been becoming increasingly bulletproof in 2013 and I'm feeling great, so I ordered some Upgraded Whey. If i were to take this after a workout, how many grams should I get, and what should I have for carbs? 

Would be great if someone could make this crystal clear. 

Comments

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Thats a lot of protein.  What brand do you use again?  I know you stated it before but I forget.

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

don't know how big you are, but 45g would suffice for the protein powder, dextrose is bulletproof so no need to change if you don't want, but keep it to 20g.  Mixing the dextrose with the protein is wrong, you want to drink the dextrose immediately after you train and then 20 minutes later have the protein and supplements, the reason for this is to not slow the uptake.  You could also use 1tbsp honey, 1/2cup white rice or sweet potato.  All of this does depend on what your training is.

Personally I have 10g bcaa, 10g glutamine, 5g creatine, 30g protein before and 20g dextrose 5g creatine  then  10g bcaa, 10g glutamine, 5g creatine, 45g protein, and some other goodies that don't necessarily pertain (kale, ginger, greens powders etc)

You are wasting all that creatine.

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Why do you think that?

• So, I started the creatine protocol recommended by Keifer, "Dangerously Hardcore," who was on the podcast-- " 28g/day for me" which seems like a lot, but no "loading," as used to be recommende. Minor lower back muscle pull doing burpees on 2nd day of creatine. I almost never get muscle "pulls." Could it be partly attributable to creatine? Not blaming the protocol--- I have been training very hard, and I was a tad overtrained. Just wondering if the creatine increases chances of strains, or if I need other nutrients with the creatine. I know there is a lot of "stuff" on internet about creatine and strains-- but always assumed that was because guys were going up too fast in weights.

May be my imagination, but I fell generally more sore and "tighter" on creatine, but hopefully cause I'm growing muscle!... tks

• Thanks Jason-- I definitely pulled my lower back, not bad....sounds like I was not hydrated enough since I didn't increase fluids when I added the large amount of creatine... I just breath when I do burpees, wasn't trying any specific timing....? I was doing the gymnasticswod.com method where you push-up to a "cobra yoga" postion than pop the hips up... but that is how i always do them.... 

• Thanks again Jason... Breathing-- interesting-- I am not that precise in my breath control during crossfit movements, although I am a martial artist and studied various facets of breathing. I also powerlifted, where I certainly did  the breath holding/valsalva during exertion phase. In AMRAPs, I find that I can do 1 breath/rep initially, but may have to increase Breath Rate as I fatigue. If I have to rest, I count breaths as measurement of rest time and try to develop a tempo.

I have noticed that breath strategy has a big impact on overhead squats, due to stability and flexibility--- exhaling on way down improves my depth, alhough you lose some core stability..

Will give this more thought... thanks.. wonder if there are any scholarly studies on exercise physiology and breath control--- obviously big for swimmers...

• Jason, your split of dextrose and protein is interesting. Do you have any link to studies that have looked at this?

Regarding post workout nutrition: make sure the total intake of leucine is 4g and your are ok (with some carbs and protein as well).

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• Ok, I see your point.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• Jason, your split of dextrose and protein is interesting. Do you have any link to studies that have looked at this?

Regarding post workout nutrition: make sure the total intake of leucine is 4g and your are ok (with some carbs and protein as well).

Leucine is best taken alone , in BCAA form the other two aminos compete for transport lessening leucines effects.
  • Sweet potato powder about 20 Grams carbs (nice thing about this is it has more than carbs it has concentrated vitamins from the potato)  and 40 grams of Grass fed whey or Bio serum 1 Protein factory  (beef isolate) Awesome but expensive...

• McTech0911McTech0911 RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

Mixing dextrose with protein will slow the absorption rate and lower the glycemic rating.

No studies.

Hey Jason on the topic of slowing absorbtion rates, does the fiber in Quest bars slow the protein digestion/absorbtion? How would you rate them for post workout nutrition (realizing theyre missing glutamine, creatine and BCAAS)? Would you add anything like maybe dextrose to increase the G.I?

RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

Supplier of 100% Grass Fed Pasture Raised Whey Protein Bars

www.rawgrassfedproteinbars.com

• jUst picking up on this thread a bit late in the game but would love some clarification:

Taking Leucine separately from BCAA's post workout?? Would one take BCAA's and then an additional 4 grams of Leucine ? Good brands of BCAA's?

I've been taking Kre Alkalyn by Pure encapsulations. I'd need a lot of pills pre and post to get up to 5 grams. Can you recommend a good brand of powdered? 

Good brands of L Glutamine? How important it it to get Japanese micronized ?

• Thanks Jason  -

Do you take Creatine  in a powdered form yourself or do you use the capsules of Kre Alkalyn? 

Also, sounds like you recommend taking 4 grams of Leucine in addition to the BCAA's, am I right? 

• Why would one avoid fat after a workout?

Also, I find that when I take 20 grams of dextrose it takes me completely out of ketosis.  A bit surprised buy that...

• Thanks Jason. Would something like D ribose work instead of dextrose? Looking for something less high glycemic.

Perhaps a cup of berries in a smoothie?