Phthalates In High Fat Dairy

I read an article today on Fast Company about phthalates found in dried spices and high fat dairy http://www.fastcoexist.com/1681471/youre-eating-toxic-chemicals-even-if-you-eat-organic-and-avoid-plastic.

From other articles, I found that the researchers are linking the phthalates to food packaging and processing tools and possibly the feed of the livestock (although I would imagine this would increase phthalates in meat.) 

My concern of course is with regards to butter. I generally purchase KerryGold which I use for making Bulletproof Coffee as well as for cooking. Now I understand that many phthalates are banned in Europe and they are phasing out those which are still legal. Further, it appears that phthalates are already banned from EU food packaging at this time (so presumably the foil packaging would be phthalate-free for KerryGold.) 

Does anyone know about this issue? I would hate to think that the great nutrition I get from KerryGold butter also comes with a hefty does of phthalate exposure. 

Visit my blog The Gluten Minded. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

• As chemist l can tell you that if I save a chemical in a plastic bottle strange peaks arise on LC-MS, NMR and other analysis. That means these new contamination comes from the plastic because you don’t see this if you store it in glass bottles (this is well known so that is why you see so much glass ware in a chemist lab). With this fact I have since long time ago tried to buy as much food as I can, especially fat, in glass bottles or something non plastic. Luckily, at least where I live, organic food usually isn’t in plastic. There wouldn’t really be much point of putting organic food in plastic wrapping.

Plastic and food – avoid

Plastic and fat rich food – no

Plastic and hot food – no^2

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• To The Biochemist. I totally agree with you..unfortunately, this study showed that even the local, organic glass-bottled dairy was contaminated. This was linked to the plastic tubing used in the dairy processing facilities and perhaps even the caps used on the bottles. My hope is that to buy imported dairy (as in my beloved KerryGold) might avoid these issues altogether due to the stricter regulations on phthalate-use in the EU...but I am eager to find out if indeed that is the case. 

We don't drink milk in our house, but we do buy heavy cream from a local dairy that comes in a glass bottle. My husband prefers the cream in his coffee--I seldom use it. The mouthfeel of butter in coffee doesn't agree with him. I love the stuff! 

Visit my blog The Gluten Minded. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

• As chemist l can tell you that if I save a chemical in a plastic bottle strange peaks arise on LC-MS, NMR and other analysis. That means these new contamination comes from the plastic because you don’t see this if you store it in glass bottles (this is well known so that is why you see so much glass ware in a chemist lab). With this fact I have since long time ago tried to buy as much food as I can, especially fat, in glass bottles or something non plastic. Luckily, at least where I live, organic food usually isn’t in plastic. There wouldn’t really be much point of putting organic food in plastic wrapping.

Plastic and food – avoid

Plastic and fat rich food – no

Plastic and hot food – no^2

Back when I drank coke I used to prefer glass bottles, just tasted better. Great post btw
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file