Soy Protein? Why Is It Bad?

I couldnt find a reason from Daves point of view

it was on the avoid list on his protein sources

many thanks

Comments

• edited February 2013

Because its soy. You should be able to easily find info on why soy is no good with minimum effort.

Well in regards to insulin resistance I have only found positives  

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

It makes you grow a vagina. 

No sorcery, just science. 

• It makes you grow a vagina. 

Stickman_Okay_Sad_Face-1.jpg

• Have it daily for few months & you will realise why, that's if you're still alive!
  • 1 big 1 is it inhibits thyroid function....the whole estrogen argument is big as well

• 1 big 1 is it inhibits thyroid function....the whole estrogen argument is big as well

Aware, but the studies I have read dismiss all those claims

tbh i think I'm not going to have it anymore

Its the cheapest source of protein for me

coming in at £0.33 ~50 cents per 50g of protein

I think egg whites are a safer bet

just a downer that it costs 5x as much for the same amout of protein
  • you cant find whey?

Oh

whey is cheaper than the egg whites

At 75 cents for 50g of protein ( cheapest quality)

But I find it spikes my insulin far greater than getting protein from food

So I keep it for post workout only
  • Okay so I agree with you guys here. But to play devils advocate...one argument Ive heard is that the phytoestrogens in soy form WEAK bonds to our estrogen receptor sites...

Which is beneficial as it stops all the xenoestrogens bonding (from things all around us such as plastic etc)...

Anyone have any input to this..?

• edited March 2013

your opinion of insulin spikes with protein ingestion needs reevaluation.  I didn't realize you were sourcing a protein for the majority of your daily intake, yes, you don't want to be drinking protein shakes all day.

Whey spikes insulin more than white bread. Egg whites cause minimal elevations as does other food.

Although cottage cheese causes a larger spike when eaten with carbohydrates compared to other protein sources. 

"a teaspoon of wine in a barrel of sewage is sewage, a teaspoon of sewage in a barrel of wine is sewage"

ok_approval.gif

• Your saying whey is a simple refined carbohydrate.

no

• edited March 2013

Lets go through this, what causes insulin release?

Let me guess you are one of those KNOW-IT-ALLS

Dont make elitist posts at others with your poverty knowledge 

Do some reading big boy 

Akhavan T, Luhovyy BL, Anderson GH. Effect of drinking compared with eating sugars or whey protein on short-term appetite and food intake. Int J Obes (Lond). 2011 Apr;35(4):562-9. Epub 2010 Aug 24.

Baggio LL, Drucker DJ. Biology of incretins: GLP-1 and GIP. Gastroenterology. 2007 May;132(6):2131-57.

Claessens M, Calame W, Siemensma AD, van Baak MA, Saris WH. The effect of different protein hydrolysate/carbohydrate mixtures on postprandial glucagon and insulin responses in healthy subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jan;63(1):48-56. Epub 2007 Sep 12

Gerspach AC, Steinert RE, Schönenberger L, Graber-Maier A, Beglinger C. The role of the gut sweet taste receptor in regulating GLP-1, PYY, and CCK release in humans. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Aug;301(2):E317-25. 

Lavigne C, Tremblay F, Asselin G, Jacques H, Marette A. 2001. Prevention of skeletal muscle insulin resistance by dietary cod protein in high fat-fed rats. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 281:E62–71

Morifuji M, Ishizaka M, Baba S, Fukuda K, Matsumoto H, Koga J, Kanegae M, Higuchi M. Comparison of different sources and degrees of hydrolysis of dietary protein: effect on plasma amino acids, dipeptides, and insulin responses in human subjects. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Aug 11;58(15):8788-97.

Ranganath LR, Beety JM, Morgan LM, Wright JW, Howland R, Marks V. Attenuated GLP-1 secretion in obesity: cause or consequence? Gut. 1996 Jun;38(6):916-9. 

Salehi A, Gunnerud U, Muhammed SJ, Ostman E, Holst JJ, Björck I, Rorsman P. The insulinogenic effect of whey protein is partially mediated by a direct effect of amino acids and GIP on beta-cells. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2012 May 30;9(1):48.

• edited March 2013

Relax, I'm just trying to figure out where you are coming from. I don't get how protein can raise blood sugar high enough to cause a spike in insulin that is akin to drinking a soda pop, and your answer of " no" required stronger means to create dialogue.

Lets go through this, what causes insulin release?

That sounded like a teacher talking to a 4 year old/

- btw I said white bread not soda pop

And if you cant be bothered to read all those studies 

it comes down to 

-GIP, GLP-1- secretion and a bunch of other hormones which are involved when you consume amino acids 

I think Beef protein is up there too but obv its less pronounced as its not in a powered liquid form

Egg whites, gelatine and soy are the lowest to raise insulin levels (hence why i made this thread as i was planning to eat soy as its cheap also)

i think cottage cheese is high up when combined with carb meals increasing insulin up to 300% more than just having a carb meal instead of carb+ cottage cheese protein 

- I didnt explain the reasons because 

1. i wasnt on the computer

2. i cant remember all the path ways how the process works, and i didnt have access to the notes i made about it, i just remember not to drink whey unless its post workout

btw im insulin resistant hence why i read more into this than is necessary for the general public 

There are other diabetics on this site thats why i came to post and help them out

• What I was aiming at is that protein does not add to blood sugar, it releases it from storage, carbs add to blood sugar so it must be stored by insulin. Out of curiosity, are you referring to whey isolate or regular whey? Isolate seems refined enough to possibly cause a more rapid release of stored glucose. I still think 30g of whey digests too slowly to cause a significant blood sugar spikes. Can you give a person going into diabetic shock a protein drink instead of a candy bar? That would be great (yes I'm really asking)

No it does both.

I think both whey's were used in the studies as well as soy. 

If you read those studies then you will think different .

No you cant as it wont increase your glucose/ get blood into your system in time 

• Don't leangains promote BCAA in fasted state?
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • I just realized as well you have a condition, I'm not trying to change your mind, if your blood sugar only raises, the glucose addition from carbs in combination with the release of stored glucose from a easily digested protein source in absence of a properly functioning regulatory system would be an issue.

We should acknowledge this is not an issue to healthy individuals.

Don't leangains promote BCAA in fasted state?

Yes to spare muscle loss

I just realized as well you have a condition, I'm not trying to change your mind, if your blood sugar only raises, the glucose addition from carbs in combination with the release of stored glucose from a easily digested protein source in absence of a properly functioning regulatory system would be an issue.

We should acknowledge this is not an issue to healthy individuals.

To an extent it does